Lincoln said the Civil war was about taxes, not slavery...

hangover

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2013
Abraham Lincoln repeatedly stated his war was caused by taxes only, and not by slavery, at all.

"My policy sought only to collect the Revenue (a 40 percent federal sales tax on imports to Southern States under the Morrill Tariff Act of 1861)." reads paragraph 5 of Lincoln's First Message to the U.S. Congress, penned July 4, 1861.

"I have no purpose, directly or in-directly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so," Lincoln said it his first inaugural on March 4 of the same year.

There is no proof of Lincoln ever declaring the war was fought to abolish slavery, and without such an official statement, the war-over-slavery teaching remains a complete lie and offensive hate speech that divides Americans, as is being done now by the media and politicians regarding the Confederate flag in South Carolina.

Slavery was NOT abolished; just the name was changed to sharecropper with over 5 million Southern whites and 3 million Southern blacks working on land stolen by Wall Street bankers.

White, black, Indian, Hispanic, Protestant, Catholic and Jewish Confederates valiantly stood as one in thousands of battles on land and sea. Afterwards, they attended Confederate Veterans' reunions together and received pensions from Southern States.

Photos of black Confederate veterans may be seen in Alabama's Archives in Scrapbook – 41st Reunion of United Confederate Veterans, Montgomery, June 2,3,4 and 5, 1931."

Lincoln did not claim slavery was a reason even in his Emancipation Proclamations on Sept. 22, 1862, and Jan. 1, 1863. Moreover, Lincoln's proclamations exempted a million slaves under his control from being freed (including General U.S. Grant's four slaves) and offered the South three months to return to the Union (pay 40 percent sales tax) and keep their slaves. None did. Lincoln affirmed his only reason for issuing was: "as a fit and necessary war measure for suppressing said (tax) rebellion."

Mrs. Grant wrote in her personal memoirs: "We rented our pretty little home (in St. Louis) and hired out our four servants to persons whom we knew and who promised to be kind to them. Eliza, Dan, Julia and John belonged to me. When I visited the General during the War, I nearly always had Julia with me as nurse."

Lincoln declared war to collect taxes in his two presidential war proclamations against the Confederate States, on April 15 and 19th, 1861: "Whereas an insurrection against the Government of the United States has broken out and the laws of the United States for the collection of the revenue cannot be effectually executed therein."

On Dec. 25, 1860, South Carolina declared unfair taxes to be a cause of secession: "The people of the Southern States are not only taxed for the benefit of the Northern States, but after the taxes are collected, three-fourths (75%) of them are expended at the North (to subsidize Wall Street industries that elected Lincoln)." (Paragraphs 5-8)

It was on April 8, 1861, that Lincoln, alone, started the war by a surprise attack on Charleston Harbor with a fleet of warships, led by the USS Harriet Lane, to occupy Fort Sumter, a Federal tax collection fort in the territorial waters of South Carolina and then invaded Virginia.

Abraham Lincoln said war was over taxes, not slavery

Abraham Lincoln repeatedly stated his war was caused by taxes only, and not by slavery, at all.

"My policy sought only to collect the Revenue (a 40 percent federal sales tax on imports to Southern States under the Morrill Tariff Act of 1861)." reads paragraph 5 of Lincoln's First Message to the U.S. Congress, penned July 4, 1861.

"I have no purpose, directly or in-directly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so," Lincoln said it his first inaugural on March 4 of the same year.

There is no proof of Lincoln ever declaring the war was fought to abolish slavery, and without such an official statement, the war-over-slavery teaching remains a complete lie and offensive hate speech that divides Americans, as is being done now by the media and politicians regarding the Confederate flag in South Carolina.

Slavery was NOT abolished; just the name was changed to sharecropper with over 5 million Southern whites and 3 million Southern blacks working on land stolen by Wall Street bankers.

White, black, Indian, Hispanic, Protestant, Catholic and Jewish Confederates valiantly stood as one in thousands of battles on land and sea. Afterwards, they attended Confederate Veterans' reunions together and received pensions from Southern States.

Photos of black Confederate veterans may be seen in Alabama's Archives in Scrapbook – 41st Reunion of United Confederate Veterans, Montgomery, June 2,3,4 and 5, 1931."

Lincoln did not claim slavery was a reason even in his Emancipation Proclamations on Sept. 22, 1862, and Jan. 1, 1863. Moreover, Lincoln's proclamations exempted a million slaves under his control from being freed (including General U.S. Grant's four slaves) and offered the South three months to return to the Union (pay 40 percent sales tax) and keep their slaves. None did. Lincoln affirmed his only reason for issuing was: "as a fit and necessary war measure for suppressing said (tax) rebellion."

Mrs. Grant wrote in her personal memoirs: "We rented our pretty little home (in St. Louis) and hired out our four servants to persons whom we knew and who promised to be kind to them. Eliza, Dan, Julia and John belonged to me. When I visited the General during the War, I nearly always had Julia with me as nurse."

Lincoln declared war to collect taxes in his two presidential war proclamations against the Confederate States, on April 15 and 19th, 1861: "Whereas an insurrection against the Government of the United States has broken out and the laws of the United States for the collection of the revenue cannot be effectually executed therein."

On Dec. 25, 1860, South Carolina declared unfair taxes to be a cause of secession: "The people of the Southern States are not only taxed for the benefit of the Northern States, but after the taxes are collected, three-fourths (75%) of them are expended at the North (to subsidize Wall Street industries that elected Lincoln)." (Paragraphs 5-8)

It was on April 8, 1861, that Lincoln, alone, started the war by a surprise attack on Charleston Harbor with a fleet of warships, led by the USS Harriet Lane, to occupy Fort Sumter, a Federal tax collection fort in the territorial waters of South Carolina and then invaded Virginia.

The EP blows that theory right of the water.

It was about preserving the Union, the danger to which stemmed from a number of issues - all related to the evil of slavery.

You obviously didn't read this part....

Try to shrug this off.....

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

by:

Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865) 16th US President
Racist Quote by Abe Lincoln (Happy Black History Month!)

The EP was kind of a military tactic. It freed only slaves in the Confederacy who could escape.

Well, not exactly. This straight out of South Carolina's secession declaration:

The ends for which the Constitution was framed are declared by itself to be "to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity."

These ends it endeavored to accomplish by a Federal Government, in which each State was recognized as an equal, and had separate control over its own institutions. The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor.

We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

For twenty-five years this agitation has been steadily increasing, until it has now secured to its aid the power of the common Government. Observing the forms of the Constitution, a sectional party has found within that Article establishing the Executive Department, the means of subverting the Constitution itself. A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction.

This sectional combination for the submersion of the Constitution, has been aided in some of the States by elevating to citizenship, persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

The larger roots of the conflict were indeed economics, with the slavery question always the elephant in that room. But the idea of seceding from the Union over such differences went back over three decades to at least the so-called "Tariff of Abominations" passed under the Quincy Adams administration, which favored the industrializing North over the agrarian South. Three decades before they actually did it, South Carolina was calling for secession over that.

You obviously didn't read this part....

Try to shrug this off.....

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

by:

Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865) 16th US President
Racist Quote by Abe Lincoln (Happy Black History Month!)
So does this mean recon has to carry my bag when I golf?

will read this link later,have to bookmark it.

The South wanted out to preserve slavery.
The North just wanted the Union preserved.
Slavery didn't become a moral issue until Lincoln needed something to rally the nation around because the War in the East wasn't going so well and show the world we were the good guys.

This really isn't all that hard to get.

Non political Thread junior. MOVED to HISTORY.

It was about preserving the Union, the danger to which stemmed from a number of issues - all related to the evil of slavery.
No, it was about taxes, which I already proved. It was also about preserving the profits of the corporations in the north. The south was seceding because the corporations were using the raw materials of the south and taking all the profits. Lincoln and the republicans knew that the corporations would go bankrupt, had the south been allowed to secede. And this country has been the CORPORATE STATES OF AMERICA ever since. Corporations are the ones that ran up that $19 trillion national debt, which has enslaved everyone. Congress, the senate and the president are all owned by the corporations. THERE ARE NO POOR IN CONGRESS. ONLY CORPORATIONS HAVE LOBBIES.

Non political Thread junior. MOVED to HISTORY.
FYI, I'm your senior, kid. You need to do a better job of hiding the truth.

Slavery didn't become a moral issue until Lincoln needed something to rally the nation around because the War in the East wasn't going so well and show the world we were the good guys.

Lincoln only wanted the profits of the corporations in the north preserved, and was happy to sacrifice 750,000 Americans for those profits. Just like the Iraq war, that made a trillion dollars in profits for Halliburton and the other war contractors. Shrub was happy to sacrifice the lives and arms and legs of a hundred thousand Americans for those profits.

Lincoln always said preserving the Union was his goal.

He destroyed slavery (1) because he could and (2) because it would severely injure the CSA.

Lincoln only wanted the profits of the corporations in the north preserved, and was happy to sacrifice 750,000 Americans for those profits. Just like the Iraq war, that made a trillion dollars in profits for Halliburton and the other war contractors. Shrub was happy to sacrifice the lives and arms and legs of a hundred thousand Americans for those profits.
I will says this nicely: that is a fucking stupid statement. It was a war about Union not corporations, podjo.

Correct. I love when people say it wasn't about slavery it was about state rights. What was the right they were trying to preserve? Slave rights.

They also say it was about preservation of the Union. Why did they secede from the union? To preserve their right to own slaves.

No, it was about taxes, which I already proved. It was also about preserving the profits of the corporations in the north. The south was seceding because the corporations were using the raw materials of the south and taking all the profits. Lincoln and the republicans knew that the corporations would go bankrupt, had the south been allowed to secede. And this country has been the CORPORATE STATES OF AMERICA ever since. Corporations are the ones that ran up that $19 trillion national debt, which has enslaved everyone. Congress, the senate and the president are all owned by the corporations. THERE ARE NO POOR IN CONGRESS. ONLY CORPORATIONS HAVE LOBBIES.

Lol, we all know your a mental midget, but the war that was fought over taxation without representation was the REVOLUTIONARY WAR.

I know you are easily confused though?

Forum List

Back