Like it hot? A spicy diet might mean longer life

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
635744698059766447-SPICES-HUNDRED-FOOT-JOURNEY-FOOD-MOV-JY-1417--66295948.JPG

I've been a big fan of Tabasco on my eggs for as long as I can remember. I always look for the hottest chili sauces and find most foods bland without a little kick to it. I still can eat a Jalapeño straight up. Maybe I got a few more years ahead of me than I thought.

Read the article @ Like it hot? A spicy diet might mean longer life

I do not care for spicy foods but there is a lot of benefit to eating certain items that cleanse the system and help certain conditions. Onions, garlic, and peppers are very good for heart issues and some auto immune disorders

As we age our taste buds fade, requiring more heat (or looked at another way, providing more tolerance).

I never cared for Tabasco. Way too vinegary. I like Melinda's triple X. It's nice and clean.
There used to be a great scotch bonnet sauce called "Dr. Phartpounder's Colon Cleanser" but they perverted their formula to where it's more mustardy and sweet.

And now for one of my cherished personal anecdotes----YOU LUCKY PEOPLE. I was in college when introduced to
INDIAN FOOD (which was kinda like new in the USA at
that time)-----I got into it right away-----and---of course--experimented. My dad was not a picky eater---but HIS mom
grew up in London (before India arrived there)---English food----
some salt and a tiny touch of black pepper---END!!! soft boiled eggs---boiled cabbage,, potatoes ---also boiled. My father refused pumpkin pie on the complaint TOO SPICY!!!----
))))nutmeg and cinnamon(((( I tried the stuff on my dad---some simple "keema" thing. Dad said "NO ONE CAN EAT THIS STUFF"------I said "Indians eat this kind of stuff three times a day" (well---I hoped so) He said "yeah ---they lie on nails too" Hubby is middle eastern-----he takes his raw jalapenos ----STRAIGHT UP----like KNIFE. We buy Sriracha
by the case

And now for one of my cherished personal anecdotes----YOU LUCKY PEOPLE. I was in college when introduced to
that time)-----I got into it right away-----and---of course--experimented. My dad was not a picky eater---but HIS mom
some salt and a tiny touch of black pepper---END!!! soft boiled eggs---boiled cabbage,, potatoes ---also boiled. My father refused pumpkin pie on the complaint TOO SPICY!!!----
))))nutmeg and cinnamon(((( I tried the stuff on my dad---some simple "keema" thing. Dad said "NO ONE CAN EAT THIS STUFF"------I said "Indians eat this kind of stuff three times a day" (well---I hoped so) He said "yeah ---they lie on nails too" Hubby is middle eastern-----he takes his raw jalapenos ----STRAIGHT UP----like KNIFE. We buy Sriracha
by the case

I looove Indian, make curries for dinner a lot. Love Thai too.

Hottest food I ever had was actually at a Korean restaurant in Seattle. Their menu offered "Mild", "Medium", "spicy hot" and at the top, "Korean hot". I said, "I'm from New Orleans, bring it on!".

And they did. Oh mercy they did. Made me slow down my eating. I respect that. When I go to Thai restaurants I always have to say "I mean real hot, not gringo-hot". Sometimes they even comply but half the time I have to send it back as too wimpy.

by the case

Hottest food I ever had was actually at a Korean restaurant in Seattle. Their menu offered "Mild", "Medium", "spicy hot" and at the top, "Korean hot". I said, "I'm from New Orleans, bring it on!".

And they did. Oh mercy they did. Made me slow down my eating. I respect that. When I go to Thai restaurants I always have to say "I mean real hot, not gringo-hot". Sometimes they even comply but half the time I have to send it back as too wimpy.
I had a girlfriend who's mother was from Thailand. The mom would make some of the hottest dishes. I got into East Indian food the same way.

I made some salsa one time with Serrano peppers that took the skin off the roof of my mouth, and melted the lining of my sphincter coming out.......

by the case

I had a girlfriend who's mother was from Thailand. The mom would make some of the hottest dishes. I got into East Indian food the same way.
The hottest foods seem to be routine fare in the hottest countries. It would seem more logical for hot spicy foods to be consumed more in cold climes; but, no, northern palates seem conditioned to milder seasoning!

by the case

The hottest foods seem to be routine fare in the hottest countries. It would seem more logical for hot spicy foods to be consumed more in cold climes; but, no, northern palates seem conditioned to milder seasoning!

The accepted justification is that spicy as in the capsaicin kind-----stimulates sweating----which cools the body (???)
I am inclined to be cynical------hot peppers of the capsaicin
type FLOURISH and hot climates and by virtue of stimulating
endorphins---also are mildly EUPHORIANT. People in hot
climates need a little "upper"

by the case

Eritrean/Ethiopian food is a lot like Indian food. Its really interesting. The guy that runs the Indian restaurant I go to told me that Indians came from Africa and thats why the food is similar.

by the case

Eritrean/Ethiopian food is a lot like Indian food. Its really interesting. The guy that runs the Indian restaurant I go to told me that Indians came from Africa and thats why the food is similar.

That is one aspect of cultural anthropology commonly overlooked by modern investigators. Links between Africa and groups in other continents probably can be made by similarities in diet and food preparation. Interesting!

by the case

It is clear that you do not have much experience with Ethiopian
food.. Indians (of the original hindu variety) and Aryans
who migrated to India from eur-asia-------also moved on to
Africa -----more recently in the course of history ----there are
migrants from India all over ---various parts of Africa. Capsicum was invented in south america

by the case

That is one aspect of cultural anthropology commonly overlooked by modern investigators. Links between Africa and groups in other continents probably can be made by similarities in diet and food preparation. Interesting!

overlooked by whom? Ethiopians do not cook like persons
from India------the north west of Africa is chock full of migrants
from India. Language is a far better marker. Capsicum
is south American-----it was not introduced to India and Africa
by MIGRANTS FROM SOUTH AMERICA. My city got it from TACO BELL

overlooked by whom? Ethiopians do not cook like persons
from India------the north west of Africa is chock full of migrants
from India. Language is a far better marker. Capsicum
is south American-----it was not introduced to India and Africa
by MIGRANTS FROM SOUTH AMERICA. My city got it from TACO BELL
I have friends that are Eritrean. I eat over their house all the time and the food is very similar to Indian food. They use the same preparation methods and spices.

635744698059766447-SPICES-HUNDRED-FOOT-JOURNEY-FOOD-MOV-JY-1417--66295948.JPG

I've been a big fan of Tabasco on my eggs for as long as I can remember. I always look for the hottest chili sauces and find most foods bland without a little kick to it. I still can eat a Jalapeño straight up. Maybe I got a few more years ahead of me than I thought.

Read the article @ Like it hot? A spicy diet might mean longer life

I love spicy/hot foods, just not ridiculously hot. Pizza without jalapenos is just not a good pizza.

Forum List

Back