Let's Talk BCS!

And that kiddos is the crux of the problem in college football today. The polls. No matter who or how you count, we should be able to agree that the BCS system should stop with a final ranking. That final ranking should place X number of teams into playoff berths.

I agree.

I see no reason why we can't use the lower tier bowls as a playoff. It gives teams neutral site to play playoff games and actually adds interest to those bowls that aren't BCS bowls.

The problem with a playoff system is that it would push the championship game back towards the end of January, around the same time as the Super Bowl. The NFL is not going to take that lightly.

Remember, it's all about the Benjamins.

The problem with a playoff system is that it would push the championship game back towards the end of January, around the same time as the Super Bowl. The NFL is not going to take that lightly.

Remember, it's all about the Benjamins.

Why would it if we use the smaller bowls as the playoff games. No week off, just play em out.

Eliminate the Byes and you gain at least two weeks without shortening the number of games played. You could also start the season one week early (plus eliminate the byes) for that matter.

IOT make it happen you'd have to:

Address the History and Traditions concerns of the Bowl Reps.

Then you have to make it logistically possible and avoid getting in the way of the NFL playoffs and superbowl.

Finally, you have to demonstrate that interest in the sport would actually increase. There are those that doubt that. For a really good argument in favor of playoffs that addresses all the issues mentioned above..... check it out.

Finally, as JS said, it's politics and dollars. We'd have to make sure that even more revenues would flow into the coffers of all concerned.

You'll never convince them to play more than one game a week. It just doesn't work that way in football.

Alright, I actually played football, so I know how it works. I'm not saying more than one game a week. 16 teams would be 4 weeks. Thats two brackets with 8 teams each running concurrently.

Start that the week after conference championship week and that puts you right on the same schedule.

Forum List

Back