Let's Talk About Republican Tax Plans

Democrats were in charge of the budget purse strings during the Reagan years; and Repubicans were during the Clinton years, (most of them)

seriously libs need a 7th grade level in how government works...............or are those massive postes full of copy and paste graphs and charts MEANT TO MISLEAD/???

Democrats were in charge of the budget purse strings during the Reagan years; and Repubicans were during the Clinton years, (most of them)

seriously libs need a 7th grade level in how government works...............or are those massive postes full of copy and paste graphs and charts MEANT TO MISLEAD/???

LOL!! You never noticed who CUT the TAX RATES On The Rich And Who Raised Them Did You!!
That's where a balanced budget comes from.....the rich paying their share. Bill Clinton raised taxes in 1993 while he still had a Democrat majority. The Republicans assumed a surplus following the Clinton terms and immediately George W. Bush(The Guy Who Should Be Sitting In The Grass Playing With Dog Shit) cut tax rates for his rich buddies not once but twice, 2001 and 2003....then proceeded to double the national debt from $5.7 trillion to almost $12 trillion.

Barack Obama has been the best ever in controlling his spending and has had to pay over two trillion dollars in interest on the debt Reagan and the Bushes left for him. Notice that the $780 billion Bush handed to the banks was re-assigned to Obama.

Slowest_spending_growth_in_decades.jpeg

Last edited:

LOL!! You never noticed who CUT the TAX RATES On The Rich And Who Raised Them Did You!!
That's where a balanced budget comes from.....the rich paying their share. Bill Clinton raised taxes in 1993 while he still had a Democrat majority. The Republicans assumed a surplus following the Clinton terms and immediately George W. Bush(The Guy Who Should Be Sitting In The Grass Playing With Dog Shit) cut tax rates for his rich buddies not once but twice, 2001 and 2003....then proceeded to double the national debt from $5.7 trillion to almost $12 trillion.

Barack Obama has been the best ever in controlling his spending and has had to pay over two trillion dollars in interest on the debt Reagan and the Bushes left for him. Notice that the $780 billion Bush handed to the banks was reassigned to Obama.

no not really you idiot; and it gets boring correcting your idiotic self-delusions and vapid posts.

actually the DOT-COM REVOLUTION that revolutionized the planet had much to do with increased tax revenues and balanced budgets. but if you want to talk abotu tax rates on the wealthy you IDIOT; how do most of the richest make their money? off of capital gains right dullard/

and what did clinton to for those people/?????

Barack Obama has been the best ever in controlling his spending and has had to pay over two trillion dollars in interest on the debt Reagan and the Bushes left for him. Notice that the $780 billion Bush handed to the banks was reassigned to Obama.

no not really you idiot; and it gets boring correcting your idiotic self-delusions and vapid posts.

actually the DOT-COM REVOLUTION that revolutionized the planet had much to do with increased tax revenues and balanced budgets. but if you want to talk abotu tax rates on the wealthy you IDIOT; how do most of the richest make their money? off of capital gains right dullard/

Well...for me the Clinton years weren't quite as good as during the Obama administration. I've cleared a cool $100,000 in the market since Obama took over George Bush's absolute mess. That crazy bastard handed the banks three quarters of a trillion dollars and left the economy bleeding 750,000 jobs a month. Just exactly what is wrong with you people? I think you listen to those liars on Faux News all the time:

"Bill O’Reilly is having another bad week. While earlier reports showed the Fox News host has a knack for exaggeration, a new round of accusations paint him as more of the boldfaced kind of liar.

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly faces new accusations about lying

Apparently, Fox News won’t be investigating, or even responding to new charges that the face of its network lied about his past—even if there is video showing O’Reilly contradicting himself on multiple occasions."

Last edited:

Well...for me the Clinton years weren't quite as good as during the Obama administration. I've cleared a cool $100,000 in the market since Obama took over George Bush's absolute mess. That crazy bastard handed the banks three quarters of a trillion dollars and left the economy bleeding 750,000 jobs a month. Just exactly what is wrong with you people? I think you listen to those liars on Faux News all the time.

how much has obama "handed the banks" in the form of Quantitaive Easing you mindless idiot?

you can cry about Fox News all you want, it cant hide your ill-informed hypocrisy

Well...for me the Clinton years weren't quite as good as during the Obama administration. I've cleared a cool $100,000 in the market since Obama took over George Bush's absolute mess. That crazy bastard handed the banks three quarters of a trillion dollars and left the economy bleeding 750,000 jobs a month. Just exactly what is wrong with you people? I think you listen to those liars on Faux News all the time.

how much has obama "handed the banks" in the form of Quantitaive Easing you mindless idiot?

you can cry about Fox News all you want, it cant hide your ill-informed hypocrisy

"Quantitaive Easing?" Hell I thought the Federal Reserve Bank did that.

You people are so goddamned misinformed and ignorant it's difficult to even argue with you.

I prefer a tax on consumption over a tax on production, as do most economists.

A sales tax is a tax on consumption. An income tax is a tax on production.

The downside of a sales tax is that it is regressive. This can be mitigated by a "prebate" which would be an identical amount no matter what your income. The prebate covers the sales taxes on your necessities of life.

But no matter what kind of tax scheme we have, it cannot have any exemptions. None. Zip. Zilch. I don't care how much the National Dairy Council lobby pays Congress, there cannot be a sales tax exemption for milk, no matter how sad a poverty-stricken child's face they find for their propaganda ads.

Since taxes are baked into the products we buy already and no one considers pre-tax profit, only post tax, you're wrong about the sales tax being regressive. But other than that, spot on
It's regressive, and there's no dispute as to that. But, as G5000 noted, that can be addressed. I'm more than skeptical that politically it can fly. More sellable is cuts to rates and getting rid of preferences. Maybe, just maybe, voters would agree to a loss of mortgage interest deduction if they were convinced that most would see an overall reduction.

Ah, repeating twice that it's 'regressive' must make it regressive then. Obviously you didn't understand what I said, but I can't stand up to your repeating your baseless assertion, it's just too powerful.

In the off chance this was a boner and you do want to actually discuss the topic, what does that taxes are "baked in" mean?
Actually, I was ignoring you and refusing putting up any link as to why sales taxes are considered to be regressive by mainstream economists, but please don't let me stop you from speaking in tongues from the economic voices in your head.

But, I'm not against replacing income with consumption taxes if there are exemptions. However, once you make exemptions, it seems to me that the advantages of consumption taxes may be compromised, and more importantly this is just a no-go politically. If we could eliminate exemptions in exchange for lower rates and less govt interference in which econ activity is "better," that would be an improvement.

If you do a straight calculation of sales taxes, they are regressive. Most of the time you see that statement with sales taxes for "essentials." The fair tax removes that with the prebate. However, you didn't grasp the significance of the qualifications I added. The taxes we pay now are baked into the products we buy and people don't work for gross income they work for net income. That means wages are driven up for higher end workers which gives liberals more to shriek about while not giving us rich bastards any more money. So you raise taxes again and the cycle repeats.

So, in terms of actual meaning, your "regressive" claim is a shallow calculation and not a meaningful one. Of course why "mainstream" or liberal economists love it. There are liars, dirty liars and statisticians

First you have Grover Norquist who has vowed to attend a meeting at the guillotine before he'll tolerate any type of additional tax on the rich. Then you have several Republicans who are adamant about a flat tax. Of course the rich folks would love to see a flat tax because they would automatically see a total annual tax amount at around half of what they are paying now and they could fire their tax lawyers and accountants.

Now the most asinine idea of all of them is Mike Huckabee's national sales tax. Now brother....anybody who falls for this one needs an extensive examination of their brain at the Cleveland Clinic. Poor folks spend all their money and the rich might spend half of their million dollars a year...plus they have a choice about whether or not to buy another yacht or keep using the 2010 model.

What none of them want to discuss is that the poor folks are already paying the highest percentage rates when all taxes are considered vs their total expendable income. At the end of the month there's nothing remaining so that means 100% of their income was taxed or subjected to fees of one kind or another.

1: State Income Taxes(not in all states but in many)
2: Payroll taxes( if they're working and everybody is honest this gets paid every pay period.)
3: Sales tax.....since the poor spend everything nearly all of it is subject to a sales tax.
4: Gasoline tax....trivial to a rich man, considerable to the family barely getting by
5: Vendor tax....always passed along to the consumer
6: Property tax....if one is lucky enough to own a home. Otherwise they rent. Rent includes all expenses the owner has whether maintenance or his own taxes, plus a profit.
7: Federal excise tax....excise taxes are usually included in the price of the product. It's the tax on automobile tires and other activities such as highway usage by trucks

Then there's fees...ever notice those little add ons when you're looking at your phone or power bill. There's always a dollar or two.

Even automobile registration is a tax. The state and county collect that.

One thing is for certain. Any tax which is imposed on a manufacturer's product or service is passed along to the buyer.....it's called bottom line profit.

Any thing a common man enjoys, fishing hunting, camping, boating, travel etc. subjects his/her family to more taxes. Ever notice the fees and taxes on the bill you paid when you checked out of a hotel or motel?

If any common man falls for the idea that a flat tax or national sales tax is good they deserve what they get. If the average citizens weren't getting the short end you can bet the Republicans wouldn't be advocating it.

How did you determine that "rich folks would love to see a flat tax because they would automatically see a total annual tax amount at around half of what they are paying now?"

How did you determine that all or even most rich people have yachts?

Where is your dividing line between rich and not rich?

How do you know that those making a mil/yr spend only half of it?

While it is true that "poor folks are already paying the highest percentage rates when all taxes are considered vs their total expendable income," it is also true about any of their expenditures ... from food to toilet paper.

It must be again noted that the bottom 48% of American earners pay NO FEDERAL PERSONAL INCOME TAX while the top 1% - those making over $438,000/yr - carry 38% of the total tax burden and the top 25% - those earning over $73,000 pay 86% of all federal income tax collected.

So what would satisfy you? 96%? 106%?

you don't know what you are talking about
LMAO!!!! That's easy for you to say....I spent over an hour researching stats for that epistle and you drop it like a used condom. Typical Republican.

Oh! I forgot...most Republicans can't even read effectively. I'll define "epistle" for you:

"A literary composition in the form of a letter"

Over an hour researching? A whole hour?
Woo.

I noticed you failed to post any of the links to your "research."

Perusing the fetid bowels of your favorite eat-the-rich website for an hour just to satisfy your preconceived loony left notions is hardly what any rational person would call research. You can find "validation" for any thought or concept - including "hard evidence" that the earth is flat - on the Internet.
You've done just that.

The Flat Earth Society - Index

yeah...I've heard that argument made by those at the top all my life.....course I'm just 81 and so far all they've done is get richer. Take this under advisement.... "Trickle Down Didn't Work.....unless it was warm piss trickling down the backs of working America.

In the late 1940's a corporate executive earned about 12-15 times what an electrician or pipe fitter made. By the 1960's about 55 times as much. By the 1970's about 100 times as much. In 2012 CEO's made 400-500 times as much as an ordinary American worker. Do you think maybe them selecting their own board of directors and suggesting their plans to them had any effect? I wouldn't trust a rich man in the shithouse with a muzzle on. Warren Buffett is a fine human being and he's one in a million. Most of them use their control to keep ordinary workers working like serfs and dependent upon the rich for everything they need. I predict that at some point working people will finally catch on to the fact that they are making the rich man richer. If it was not for workers waking up early, traveling to their jobs and producing something for the "company" all day long every day everybody would just starve.

Global Unions is what ordinary workers should concentrate on. Shut the whole thing down and see how the wealthy who hire some one to do everything but wipe their ass fare. Just because some arrogant ass hole inherits someone else's wealth doesn't mean he's smarter....just luckier.

Nobody asks to be born
Nobody gets to say where they will be born
Nobody gets to select their parents
Nobody has anything to do with what kind of IQ they'll have
Nobody has anything to say about whether they'll be born with all their extremities
One thing for sure......they will die just like everybody else

These rich bastards who look in the mirror and think they're some kind of god can get my honest appraisal....they're a god damned poor excuse for a human being.

I agree, there is no "trickle down." There is flood down opportunity when you enable job providers to do our jobs, and there is trickle up poverty when you don't. but trickle down doesn't exist

Trickle Down!!! The biggest lie and one of the biggest financial failures in our country's history. Reagan gave $3 trillion dollars to rich folks in tax cuts and never cut spending a damn dime. The sad thing is he borrowed every penny of it from foreign banks. This is not rocket science. When someone cuts taxes for the wealthy and doesn't match it with cuts in spending new debt is accrued. There have been two distinct opportunities to completely pay off the national debt and instead of doing it the Republicans slashed taxes and quadrupled and then doubled the debt again. These figures are a matter of record and can be easily checked. Oh...by the way, I didn't cut and paste this from some online site....I used the figures from the bureau of the debt and prepared it myself:

....................................Total U S Debt.......................................

09/30/2009 $11,909,829,003,511.75(80% Of All Debt Across 232 Years Borrowed By Reagan And Bushes)

09/30/2008 $10,024,724,896,912.49(Times Square Debt Clock Modified To Accommodate Tens of Trillions)

09/30/2007 $9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 $8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 $7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 $7,379,052,696,330.32

09/30/2003 $6,783,231,062,743.62(Second Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2002 $6,228,235,965,597.16

09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06(First Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86(Administration And Congress Arguing About How To Use Surplus)

09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43(First Surplus Generated...On Track To Pay Off Debt By 2012)

09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32
09/30/1993 $4,411,488,883,139.38 ( Debt Quadrupled By Reagan/Bush41)
09/30/1992 $4,064,620,655,521.66
09/30/1991 $3,665,303,351,697.03
09/28/1990 $3,233,313,451,777.25
09/29/1989 $2,857,430,960,187.32
09/30/1988 $2,602,337,712,041.16
09/30/1987 $2,350,276,890,953.00
09/30/1986 $2,125,302,616,658.42
09/30/1985 $1,823,103,000,000.00
09/30/1984 $1,572,266,000,000.00
09/30/1983 $1,377,210,000,000.00

09/30/1982 $1,142,034,000,000.00(Total Debt Passes $1 Trillion)((Reagan Slashed Tax Rates To Pre Depression Levels)

09/30/1981 $997,855,000,000.00

yes, comrade. when government doesn't take money, that is government giving money because all money is the people's money.

Why does the word "marxist" bother you people again?

First you have Grover Norquist who has vowed to attend a meeting at the guillotine before he'll tolerate any type of additional tax on the rich. Then you have several Republicans who are adamant about a flat tax. Of course the rich folks would love to see a flat tax because they would automatically see a total annual tax amount at around half of what they are paying now and they could fire their tax lawyers and accountants.

Now the most asinine idea of all of them is Mike Huckabee's national sales tax. Now brother....anybody who falls for this one needs an extensive examination of their brain at the Cleveland Clinic. Poor folks spend all their money and the rich might spend half of their million dollars a year...plus they have a choice about whether or not to buy another yacht or keep using the 2010 model.

What none of them want to discuss is that the poor folks are already paying the highest percentage rates when all taxes are considered vs their total expendable income. At the end of the month there's nothing remaining so that means 100% of their income was taxed or subjected to fees of one kind or another.

2: Payroll taxes( if they're working and everybody is honest this gets paid every pay period.)
3: Sales tax.....since the poor spend everything nearly all of it is subject to a sales tax.
4: Gasoline tax....trivial to a rich man, considerable to the family barely getting by
6: Property tax....if one is lucky enough to own a home. Otherwise they rent. Rent includes all expenses the owner has whether maintenance or his own taxes, plus a profit.
7: Federal excise tax....excise taxes are usually included in the price of the product. It's the tax on automobile tires and other activities such as highway usage by trucks

Then there's fees...ever notice those little add ons when you're looking at your phone or power bill. There's always a dollar or two.

One thing is for certain. Any tax which is imposed on a manufacturer's product or service is passed along to the buyer.....it's called bottom line profit.

Any thing a common man enjoys, fishing hunting, camping, boating, travel etc. subjects his/her family to more taxes. Ever notice the fees and taxes on the bill you paid when you checked out of a hotel or motel?

If any common man falls for the idea that a flat tax or national sales tax is good they deserve what they get. If the average citizens weren't getting the short end you can bet the Republicans wouldn't be advocating it.
Where is your support that a flat tax would cut the "rich folks" actual effective tax rate "in half?"

Pretty simple....they're paying(or supposed to be paying) 30% now and most proposals for a flat tax have stated that around 15% would be the rate for everyone.

Last edited:

You people are so goddamned misinformed and ignorant it's difficult to even argue with you.

you're right loon; the most powerful man on the planet has virtually no control over Fed monetary policy. you are simply a clown embarrassing yourself

you're right loon; the most powerful man on the planet has virtually no control over Fed monetary policy. you are simply a clown embarrassing yourself

Oh...a conspiracy theorist! I suppose you think the white house, the house of representatives and the senate are also a made up deal. God it's good to meet a man who's smarter than the forebears of this great nation.

I'd say Alan Greenspan and Ben Bernanke made the decisions since they are the ones who understand the financial workings of our government and the United States of America.

Just curious.....do you also believe the World Trade Center catastrophe was an inside job?

Oh...a conspiracy theorist! I suppose you think the white house, the house of representatives and the senate are also a made up deal. God it's good to meet a man who's smarter than the forebears of this great nation.

I'd say Alan Greenspan and Ben Bernanke made the decisions since they are the ones who understand the financial workings of our government and the United States of America.

Just curious.....do you also believe the World Trade Center catastrophe was an inside job?

it's a "conspiriacy theory" to posit that the President has control over monetary policy? what a complete idiot you are. in fact it is more of a conspiriacy theory to say they are some kind of out of control rogue outfit nobody can reign in, doing whatever they please

idiots and hypocrites

Where is your support that a flat tax would cut the "rich folks" actual effective tax rate "in half?"

Pretty simple....they're paying(or supposed to be paying) 30% now and most proposals for a flat tax have stated that around 15% would be the rate for everyone.

The flat tax raises taxes on the poorer, cuts taxes on the richer.

That is why so many conservatives love it.

it's a "conspiriacy theory" to posit that the President has control over monetary policy? what a complete idiot you are. in fact it is more of a conspiriacy theory to say they are some kind of out of control rogue outfit nobody can reign in, doing whatever they please

idiots and hypocrites

So you think Reagan in 1987 told the Fed to raise rates and cause the stock market crash of 87?

idiots and hypocrites

So you think Reagan in 1987 told the Fed to raise rates and cause the stock market crash of 87?

what year is it dummy? what is the thread title??

idiots and hypocrites

what year is it dummy? what is the thread title??

Answer the question.

idiots and hypocrites

When did this presidential control over monetary policy begin?

idiots and hypocrites

When did this presidential control over monetary policy begin?

once again; it is your position the President has no control or influence over monetary policy?

it's a yes or no question leftard?

We’ll examine evidence in the Federal Reserve legislation; in how the Fed operates; from Congressional testimony; from statements from the Federal Reserve’s publications; in statements by former Chairmen of the House Banking Committee; and in official rulings by US courts, to show why we conclude that although there are some elements of ambiguity, the Federal Reserve system is essentially dominated and controlled by private financiers, not our government; and to the extent that there is ownership of it, it is entirely private. Therefore despite the ambiguity – and confusion – the Fed is more accurately seen as a private, not a governmental institution, though with substantial governmental ties.
The ambiguity arises from a combination of misleading appearances; the fact that our President appoints (with consent of the Senate) the Chairman of the Fed to four year terms, and the 5 member Board in Washington to 14 year terms; the fact that the Fed is supposed to promote governmental fiscal policy; and the fact that the system was originally set up in law by Congress in 1913 and can be altered, nationalized or even dismantled by Congress.

The flat tax raises taxes on the poorer, cuts taxes on the richer.

That is why so many conservatives love it.

Exactly...the bastards have been harping on some kind of flat tax for years. Just look at how vain they are. To hear them rant and go on with bullshit you would think they never use a public highway, road, bridge...state or national park...the things all our taxes go to fund. Add the military since over half a trillion each year is spent there.

Forum List

Back