Lets remember WHY Charlottesville rally happened to begin with

The monuments being allowed to remain on government/public property is what the problem -- you can make your own private park dedicated to revisionist lost cause confederate bullshit and put up as many statues as you wish.

Bottom line is, those statues were erected because of racism, period......and most of these folks like to pretend how much they care about Robert E Lee, but they don't care about what he said....even when he was explicit about what he felt about monuments, these confederate racists ignore it

"My conviction is,” Lee wrote, “that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; & of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labor.” <<-- that doesn't sound like someone who was a fan of confederate statues, no more than he would have been a fan of statues of Cornwallis being erected after the Revolutionary War -- the losing side don't get to dictate what statues get erected by the country they were defeated by.

Lee went on into further detail "it would be wiser not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

Again, that doesn't sound like someone who wanted statues erected all over the place for him, he went on to say "countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker... keeping these symbols alive, would keep the divisions alive.” But despite all of that, racists will always try to find a way to ignore this and pretend Lee didn't mean what he said -- just like they pretend the Civil War wasn't over slavery...

The confederate monuments thing is all about racism -- They were part of a campaign to paint the Southern cause in the Civil War as just and slavery as a benevolent, it was also in direct opposition to blacks seeking equal rights, against a backdrop of Jim Crow violence and oppression. The monuments were put up as explicit symbols of white supremacy -- period.

It comes from the same people that want to do away with the 10 Commandments at County Courthouses. Keep poking the bear, fucktards.

The War of Southern Aggression was wrong. Racism is wrong. The stars and bars being flown on public ground is wrong.

Put all the crap in private museums where it belongs.

That's right. Black people fought for The Confederacy, too.

Take your ass to Georgia and ask some older blacks what they think of General Sherman and Yankees.

tokens don't count, marion. btw... there were jews who did what they needed to do to survive too during that war... & i'm sure a few japanese americans fought for us too despite their loved ones were being put into detainment camps.

Oh, so now you're calling old black people in GA, whose parents/grandparents told them what happened, "tokens", and they don't count? I've heard about it from old crackers in GA. Careful, your racism is showing.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/31/kelly-is-right-about-robert-e-lee/

i'm using language you can understand, marion... after all your siggy kinda gives it away.

Believe me, I am more than capable of using any ostentatious verbosity much moreso than 98% of the people here. The thing is, I learned a long time ago that in order to communicate with people, they have to understand what you are conveying.

What would your English teachers think of the way you post here? What with all the non-capitalized Proper Nouns and whatnot?

At what grade do they teach that Proper Nouns are supposed to be capitalized?

You're looking like jillian over here.

Question B was a rhetorical question. I believe it's 4th, k?

oh hell, marion- this isn't school. i'll be the first one to admit i am lazy as hell when it comes to capitalization. but that's not really at issue here, & i step it up when it counts. i cannot in all honesty take anybody seriously about an issue concerning race relations & our history of racism & see their POV about the confederacy & that there are some 'fine people' on that side of thinking --- when the war was fought for the reason it was & people are ok with it & they are just misunderstood.

homey don't play that.

The problem being: You haven't studied The Civil War much and don't actually know what it was fought over.

You're just rolling with leftist talking points, atm.

It was because leftist Anti Americans wanted to destroy and forget history they disagreed with and wanted done away with,much like Al Qaeda and ISIS did in areas they controlled...destroy monuments and historical documents etc. The leftists wanted to remove and destroy a statue of General Lee..the riots,deaths,violence ALL fall on their heads. They started the war and WE will finish it. This is a war have no doubt about that and we will win this war or we will die trying.
Do you protect history by chanting "Jews will not replace us!"? Do you protect history by bringing clubs and shields and guns? So you protect history by waving swastika flags? Was that a responsible protection of history?
Does protection of history involve driving down counter protestors?

Why is it terrorism when folks are driven down in Nice, New York and Columbus, but not in Charlottesville?

It was because leftist Anti Americans wanted to destroy and forget history they disagreed with and wanted done away with,much like Al Qaeda and ISIS did in areas they controlled...destroy monuments and historical documents etc. The leftists wanted to remove and destroy a statue of General Lee..the riots,deaths,violence ALL fall on their heads. They started the war and WE will finish it. This is a war have no doubt about that and we will win this war or we will die trying.

I have absolutely no love of General Lee.

But then I've got nothing against him neither.

Like a hundred other historical figures I learned about in school, he's a part of the fabric of America's past. I neither support nor condone him, but neither do i condemn him; he never did anything to me. He's dead! Long time ago. It's important for a person to keep perspective.

It's all too easy to get caught up in judging history based on the present not realizing that 150 years ago, life was very different, things were different, and YOU CANNOT APPLY STANDARDS WHICH DID NOT EXIST THEN in judging things by what we see and know TODAY. What is done is done and nothing can change it.

That said, statues are statues, they support NOTHING; they merely commemorate a moment in time. There is not a nation on this earth which hasn't history that in hindsight, it wouldn't frown upon today-- -- -- that's the nature of history. Statues are created to pay homage and respect to those people it addresses. Leaving a statue does not mean you agree with it, it merely respects the views of others that saw things differently. It reminds us of our past that we may learn from it, tearing it down robs us of our past that we may grow from it. A people disconnected/in denial of its own past is a people lost, likely doomed to repeat it. Worse, tolerance of things we know in hindsight were wrong, is a far far better, more magnanimous thing than intolerance of anything just because you don't agree with it and demanding all agree with you or be destroyed.

The latter, that is just raw, naked fascism.

All I know is that it takes two sides to tango. There would be no problem if those who agree, agree to agree and those who disagree agree to disagree. People LEARN from respecting differences in viewpoints, problem is that we have lost all respect. Looking for confrontation gets you violence. Labels creates polarity. When I see people labeling others who rise up merely to exercise their right to protest what they believe in and rise up to defend their beliefs labeled as "violence," I ask: VIOLENCE WITH WHOM? With themselves? You are confronting others to deny others their freedom to their own views? Those who show up to "smack them down" are just LOOKING FOR VIOLENCE, and creating it. And they will find it. Many will ultimately die fighting over whether to tear down a piece of metal only meant to signify a piece of history two centuries past.

If THAT isn't the definition of ITINERANT STUPIDITY, I don't know what else is.

Look here, douchebag, are you for or against erasing history like ISIS? There's no in-between on this and waffling, boy.

Yes or No.

I know you're not too bright, but you might try reading what I wrote again and in it you'll find your answer.

tokens don't count, marion. btw... there were jews who did what they needed to do to survive too during that war... & i'm sure a few japanese americans fought for us too despite their loved ones were being put into detainment camps.

Oh, so now you're calling old black people in GA, whose parents/grandparents told them what happened, "tokens", and they don't count? I've heard about it from old crackers in GA. Careful, your racism is showing.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/31/kelly-is-right-about-robert-e-lee/

i'm using language you can understand, marion... after all your siggy kinda gives it away.

Believe me, I am more than capable of using any ostentatious verbosity much moreso than 98% of the people here. The thing is, I learned a long time ago that in order to communicate with people, they have to understand what you are conveying.

What would your English teachers think of the way you post here? What with all the non-capitalized Proper Nouns and whatnot?

At what grade do they teach that Proper Nouns are supposed to be capitalized?

You're looking like jillian over here.

Question B was a rhetorical question. I believe it's 4th, k?

oh hell, marion- this isn't school. i'll be the first one to admit i am lazy as hell when it comes to capitalization. but that's not really at issue here, & i step it up when it counts. i cannot in all honesty take anybody seriously about an issue concerning race relations & our history of racism & see their POV about the confederacy & that there are some 'fine people' on that side of thinking --- when the war was fought for the reason it was & people are ok with it & they are just misunderstood.

homey don't play that.

The problem being: You haven't studied The Civil War much and don't actually know what it was fought over.

You're just rolling with leftist talking points, atm.

uh-huh. so slavery & the right to own people was not any part of the fight.

not one little bit.

got it.

I have absolutely no love of General Lee.

But then I've got nothing against him neither.

Like a hundred other historical figures I learned about in school, he's a part of the fabric of America's past. I neither support nor condone him, but neither do i condemn him; he never did anything to me. He's dead! Long time ago. It's important for a person to keep perspective.

It's all too easy to get caught up in judging history based on the present not realizing that 150 years ago, life was very different, things were different, and YOU CANNOT APPLY STANDARDS WHICH DID NOT EXIST THEN in judging things by what we see and know TODAY. What is done is done and nothing can change it.

That said, statues are statues, they support NOTHING; they merely commemorate a moment in time. There is not a nation on this earth which hasn't history that in hindsight, it wouldn't frown upon today-- -- -- that's the nature of history. Statues are created to pay homage and respect to those people it addresses. Leaving a statue does not mean you agree with it, it merely respects the views of others that saw things differently. It reminds us of our past that we may learn from it, tearing it down robs us of our past that we may grow from it. A people disconnected/in denial of its own past is a people lost, likely doomed to repeat it. Worse, tolerance of things we know in hindsight were wrong, is a far far better, more magnanimous thing than intolerance of anything just because you don't agree with it and demanding all agree with you or be destroyed.

The latter, that is just raw, naked fascism.

All I know is that it takes two sides to tango. There would be no problem if those who agree, agree to agree and those who disagree agree to disagree. People LEARN from respecting differences in viewpoints, problem is that we have lost all respect. Looking for confrontation gets you violence. Labels creates polarity. When I see people labeling others who rise up merely to exercise their right to protest what they believe in and rise up to defend their beliefs labeled as "violence," I ask: VIOLENCE WITH WHOM? With themselves? You are confronting others to deny others their freedom to their own views? Those who show up to "smack them down" are just LOOKING FOR VIOLENCE, and creating it. And they will find it. Many will ultimately die fighting over whether to tear down a piece of metal only meant to signify a piece of history two centuries past.

If THAT isn't the definition of ITINERANT STUPIDITY, I don't know what else is.

Look here, douchebag, are you for or against erasing history like ISIS? There's no in-between on this and waffling, boy.

Yes or No.

I know you're not too bright, but you might try reading what I wrote again and in it you'll find your answer.

TL;DR. Get to the point, faggot, or are you incapable of that?

The War of Southern Aggression was wrong. Racism is wrong. The stars and bars being flown on public ground is wrong.

There was no "War of Southern Aggression" FakeyJakey.
I guess those shells fired at Ft. Sumpter were just fake news.

Your credibility doesn't look so good, when you can't spell "Sumter" correctly. Leads one to believe you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Helloooooooooo

Knock Knock

Lee was a traitor

Confederates are traitors

They tried to destroy America.

Saving traitor confederate memorabilia is like keeping Nazi stuff or WWII Japanese stuff.

Unless you hated this country and you were a terrible racist, why would you keep such crap?

There was no "War of Southern Aggression" FakeyJakey.
I guess those shells fired at Ft. Sumpter were just fake news.

Your credibility doesn't look so good, when you can't spell "Sumter" correctly.
Yeah. That's the real issue.

The monuments being allowed to remain on government/public property is what the problem -- you can make your own private park dedicated to revisionist lost cause confederate bullshit and put up as many statues as you wish.

Bottom line is, those statues were erected because of racism, period......and most of these folks like to pretend how much they care about Robert E Lee, but they don't care about what he said....even when he was explicit about what he felt about monuments, these confederate racists ignore it

"My conviction is,” Lee wrote, “that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; & of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labor.” <<-- that doesn't sound like someone who was a fan of confederate statues, no more than he would have been a fan of statues of Cornwallis being erected after the Revolutionary War -- the losing side don't get to dictate what statues get erected by the country they were defeated by.

Lee went on into further detail "it would be wiser not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

Again, that doesn't sound like someone who wanted statues erected all over the place for him, he went on to say "countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker... keeping these symbols alive, would keep the divisions alive.” But despite all of that, racists will always try to find a way to ignore this and pretend Lee didn't mean what he said -- just like they pretend the Civil War wasn't over slavery...

The confederate monuments thing is all about racism -- They were part of a campaign to paint the Southern cause in the Civil War as just and slavery as a benevolent, it was also in direct opposition to blacks seeking equal rights, against a backdrop of Jim Crow violence and oppression. The monuments were put up as explicit symbols of white supremacy -- period.

It comes from the same people that want to do away with the 10 Commandments at County Courthouses. Keep poking the bear, fucktards.
I see you put on track shoes and ran away from what I posted -- just like a coward

Instead you want to bring up the 10 Commandments in court houses? How did that help Roy Moore?

I know confederate based racism is like a religion to you folks, but confederate monuments and the 10 commandments are not the same thing -- other than both of them don't belong on government property

Do you protect history by chanting "Jews will not replace us!"? Do you protect history by bringing clubs and shields and guns? So you protect history by waving swastika flags? Was that a responsible protection of history?
Does protection of history involve driving down counter protestors?

Why is it terrorism when folks are driven down in Nice, New York and Columbus, but not in Charlottesville?

Are you referring to "counter protestors" that seek to tear down monuments that have been in the public square for over 100 years and riot?

Forum List

Back