Lessons from the Jesus 'wife' story

Lessons from the Jesus 'wife' story

A small ancient Coptic papyrus fragment was major news this week. And if you followed any of the reports on the fragment you might have become convinced that there is new evidence that Jesus was married. Based on the reporting, you might also believe that this news should make Catholics and other Christians who believe in the Bible very nervous.

There are two problems with this line of thinking. First, proof of a married Jesus wouldn't make most Catholics and Christians nervous. Second, the evidence just isn't there that Jesus was ever married

Read more: Lessons from the Jesus 'wife' story | Fox News

Would Jesus being married have any effect on his mission here on earth? Why would this upset Christians?

I agree completely, Jackson.

First, a fragment of paper isn't much to go on.

Secondly, it would not matter anyway.

Lessons from the Jesus 'wife' story: Christians are so desperate to verify Jesus' existence that they'll jump on anything, even a meaningless scrap of paper written 300 years after his death.

I have wondered all of my life, is there is a Heavenly Father, why is there not a Heavenly Mother?

The biggest thing about this shard is the strain on the Catholic Church to having priests celibate. We all know it was done in the Middle Ages to stop high up Catholic dignitaries passing their position on to the children - as was a common act. It was probably also due to major demands from Emperors, Kings, and Princes who saw them as threats to their reign.

:cool:

why does it upset christians when its mentioned that jesus was most likely black or dark skinned...not the blue eyed blonde that christians like to portray

why are youputting "wife" in quotes.

it's always been clear to a good many of us that he would have had to be married. he was jewish and in his '30's. his NOT being married would have been noteworthy.... and his father not finding him a wife would have been considered a dereliction of his duty as a father

also, to direct you to your own scripture.... the two mary's attended his body after the crucifixion. under jewish law only a man's mother and/or wife could attend his body in death.

do i think it changes his preachings? not in the least.

but it changes the way the church has taught those teachings.
No, that is not clear, at least to an intelligent person. Jesus was not married.

The Sacrament of Marriage - Roman Catholic Marriage - The Sacrament of Marriage in the Roman Catholic Church

The Sacrament of Marriage

In the Catholic Church, however, marriage is more than a natural institution; it was elevated by Christ Himself, in His participation in the wedding at Cana (John 2:1-11 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.), to be one of the seven sacraments. A marriage between two Christians, therefore, has a supernatural element as well as a natural one. While few Christians outside of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches regard marriage as a sacrament, the Catholic Church insists that marriage between any two baptized Christians, as long as it is entered into with the intention to contract a true marriage, is a sacrament.

marriage: to be one of the seven sacraments.

marriage is special - but why would it be a sacrament any more than other chosen ways of life including that of JC.

I don't know about anyone else, but a married Jesus seems to be more human, more earthly than the unmarried Jesus.

But then such a person seems more likable to me. Kind of like how Rabbi's and Imams seem like normal people and Priests seem like aliens.

Forum List

Back