Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled from library award over stereotypical in her popular books

So how are future readers to know what the times were like back then if those books aren't available anymore?

Nobody said to ban the book.

Here's the thing, most people don't read the book unless they are assigned excerpts from it (usually sanitized ones that are less genocide). Just like when I had to read parts of Huckleberry Finn in HS, they did not include the parts where the N-word was used with Fuhrman like abandon.
Lol
Pussy whipped bitchs is like yourself love to erase history they find uncomfortable… God you fuckers are pathetic

Now...now, Sally....don't get your panties all twisted in a bunch. ... :lol: :lol:
It's ok. I know you won't admit you haven't read any of the books you're bloviating on about. No worries. At least I went and read one so I could judge for myself.

Last edited:
People have to understand and read books in the context of their times - not judge them by today's moral standards. Otherwise how many great books would be removed? Most I would think.
I don't believe anyone has suggested that in Wilder's case.

What people who want to ban historical authors and books that fail to meet todays PC standards don't understand..

Is that they are invaluable time capsules into people attitudes and behaviors for the time period they were written. ... :cool:

^^^ Winner ^^^

Why this point escapes Liberals is beyond me.

Yep. Her books are sure to be removed.

With any luck. They really aren't very good. Kind of tedious to read through.

Tell me any kid who wouldn't rather read a Harry Potter book than a "Little House on the Prairie".

My guess is, most of the wingnuts here haven't read them, they just remember the highly DISNEYFIED TV show from the 1970's...

You never read them have you ..

It's obvious meth head joe.

What people who want to ban historical authors and books that fail to meet todays PC standards don't understand..

Is that they are invaluable time capsules into people attitudes and behaviors for the time period they were written. ...

Not really. You really don't need to read badly written prose to realize people in 1870 were racist as all get out.

I'm amazed you weren't required to read the whole novel. I was never assigned part of a book.

I did have the misfortune to have to trudge through Orwell's 1984.

Here's the thing about HS literture. We make these kids trudge through dull, boring books that they have no interest in reading, and then wonder why they have no interest in reading. Why do we do this? Because teachers are taught to instruct from a dull, depressing book like 1984, where frankly, you get to the end of it, and feel kind of crappy.

what amazed me was that my nieces and nephews, when Harry Potter came out, couldn't wait for the next book. Kids wanting to read a book hundreds of pages long!

But, no, let's make them trudge through Laura Ingells talking about what it was like to pull water out of a well.

It’s called erasing history. And creating their own version.

Or putting it in it's proper context.

Let's look at movies like Gone with the Wind or any 1950's western, where there was truly whitewashing/Disneyfying going on. All the cowboys were white (when in fact, many of them were black and hispanic) and the Native Americans were portrayed as savages (when they were simply defending their land).

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name is set to be removed from a major children's book award after concerns were raised about the "Little House on the Prairie" author's depiction of certain races in the early-to-mid 20th century.
Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled from library award over 'stereotypical attitudes' in her popular books
-----------------------------------------''

As you leftist Hitlers use to laugh at all the other pro Trump people getting their sites shut down, or gettng banned as you watch people getting kicked off sites because your cowardly asses reported them well all that time you thougght you were so specail cause your not a Trump supporter , welll it kinda looks like BLOW BACK IS GONNA be easting you hypocirtes alive bhaahah.

Um, so what?

So guess what, views change over time, and a lot of things she wrote really do seem racist today.

Opinion | Don’t overlook the racist content in this book series

One of the most egregious examples of this racism occurs in “Little House on the Prairie,” when Wilder states that her mother believed that “the only good Indian was a dead Indian.” There are numerous other examples of Ma Ingalls’s racism — highlighted by the illustrations by Garth Williams of fierce-looking Indians — found in that same book. Less overt is the racism contained in the second paragraph of “Little House in the Big Woods,” when Wilder details her surroundings and neglects to mention the presence of American Indians who also lived there: “There were no houses. There were no roads. There were no people. There were only trees and the wild animals who had their homes among them.”

Well then you better ban every book that was written before the 21st century seeing a good majority of them offend those like you!

Funny part is those like you will defend Woodrow Wilson racist past or Robert Byrd while demanding those like Laura Ingalls Wilder have her books removed because the Native to this land was not mentioned in a certain part and her mother hated them.

Just imagine if some white person demanded Martin Luther King Jr. name to be stricten from society and his words were banned from reading and how fast you and your kind would scream racism!

Fools like you look at the past while judging it with today standards and yet you excuse Genocide by those like Andrew Jackson while wanting books banned...

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name is set to be removed from a major children's book award after concerns were raised about the "Little House on the Prairie" author's depiction of certain races in the early-to-mid 20th century.
Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled from library award over 'stereotypical attitudes' in her popular books
-----------------------------------------''

As you leftist Hitlers use to laugh at all the other pro Trump people getting their sites shut down, or gettng banned as you watch people getting kicked off sites because your cowardly asses reported them well all that time you thougght you were so specail cause your not a Trump supporter , welll it kinda looks like BLOW BACK IS GONNA be easting you hypocirtes alive bhaahah.

Um, so what?

So guess what, views change over time, and a lot of things she wrote really do seem racist today.

Opinion | Don’t overlook the racist content in this book series

One of the most egregious examples of this racism occurs in “Little House on the Prairie,” when Wilder states that her mother believed that “the only good Indian was a dead Indian.” There are numerous other examples of Ma Ingalls’s racism — highlighted by the illustrations by Garth Williams of fierce-looking Indians — found in that same book. Less overt is the racism contained in the second paragraph of “Little House in the Big Woods,” when Wilder details her surroundings and neglects to mention the presence of American Indians who also lived there: “There were no houses. There were no roads. There were no people. There were only trees and the wild animals who had their homes among them.”

Think Fahrenheit 451. Do you really think you can change history by hiding or destroying it? Do you want to?

People have to understand and read books in the context of their times - not judge them by today's moral standards. Otherwise how many great books would be removed? Most I would think.

That is the issue with people today is they want to apply their moral jugment on a society in the past while not looking at the story, how it was written and reflecting how we have come since then.

Is that they are invaluable time capsules into people attitudes and behaviors for the time period they were written. ...

Not really. You really don't need to read badly written prose to realize people in 1870 were racist as all get out.

I'm amazed you weren't required to read the whole novel. I was never assigned part of a book.

I did have the misfortune to have to trudge through Orwell's 1984.

Here's the thing about HS literture. We make these kids trudge through dull, boring books that they have no interest in reading, and then wonder why they have no interest in reading. Why do we do this? Because teachers are taught to instruct from a dull, depressing book like 1984, where frankly, you get to the end of it, and feel kind of crappy.

what amazed me was that my nieces and nephews, when Harry Potter came out, couldn't wait for the next book. Kids wanting to read a book hundreds of pages long!

But, no, let's make them trudge through Laura Ingells talking about what it was like to pull water out of a well.

Amazing that you believe Harry Potter Books are staples of great writings when reading the Hobbit is a lot better!

Also let be factual you are expressing your opinion on a subject matter because you want books to ignore the reality of the time and reflect only your opinion.

I am sure you also found books written by Machiavelli, Nietzsche or even Trotsky to be boring but alas they have their purpose in our society...

I know you prefer Bill Clinton and James Patterson books over those that can teach you about the past...

Well then you better ban every book that was written before the 21st century seeing a good majority of them offend those like you!

Funny part is those like you will defend Woodrow Wilson racist past or Robert Byrd while demanding those like Laura Ingalls Wilder have her books removed because the Native to this land was not mentioned in a certain part and her mother hated them.

when have I ever defended Woody Wilson? I actually think the guy was a terrible president.

Fools like you look at the past while judging it with today standards and yet you excuse Genocide by those like Andrew Jackson while wanting books banned...

First, I never said to ban her books. Maybe not force them on schoolkids who would rather read something that they can relate to.

Secondly, I've been on here a number of time condemning Jackson and his genocidal practices.

Amazing that you believe Harry Potter Books are staples of great writings when reading the Hobbit is a lot better!

If it was, why did Jackson feel the need to stuff a lot of things into the movies that weren't in the book.

Here's the thing, I wasn't talking about what is "Great Literature". I was talking about what gets kids interested in reading.

For instance, when I was 17, I thought the original Battlestar Galactica was great Science Fiction. (Or as I like to call it now, "Mormons in Spaaaaaaace") It's schlock of course, I realize that today. And eventually, I moved on to truly good SF like Star Trek, and the written works of Bradbury, Asimov, Heinlein.

Same thing here. You make a kid trudge through a book about crapping in an outhouse with no TV, and it's not something they are going to be terribly interested in.

I am sure you also found books written by Machiavelli, Nietzsche or even Trotsky to be boring but alas they have their purpose in our society...

They were boring, even when I had to read them as part of a History Major/PolSci degree... I couldn't imagine inflicting them on a HS Freshman.

nothing to see here folks, just another day in liberal utopian paradise!

tumblr_oa45paDGGN1ss9dfho1_500.gif

16792630_303.jpg
jasonnfree said:
So how are future readers to know what the times were like back then if those books aren't available anymore?
They Are Creating A New Future
A New Man
A Brave New World
Changing Man By Changing His Environment

First We Fahrenheit 451 Books And Monuments
We'll Have To Do Something About Those Stars & Stripes Sooner Or Later

JoeB131 said:
Nobody said ban the book
Like Huckleberry Finn

We Need More 'So-&So Has Two Mommies' Or Daddies
Real Award Winners
Start 'Em Young As Possible

Last edited:
JoeB131 said:
Nobody is burning books... stop being melodramatic
No One Ever Burned A Book Anywhere
Until The Day They Did It

Melodramatic ??
The Left OWNS Melodrama
Children Are Being Holocausted By NAZIs At The Border
Don' 'Cha Kno...
And...And...
They're Trying To Deport Illegal Aliens, Fer Cryin' Out Loud !!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back