CDZ Laura Ingalls Wilder's name removed from book award over racism charges

Do you agree with the ALA's decision to remove Laura ingalls Wilder's name from one of its book awar

• Yes

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
This is a CDZ thread, and the rules require civility, period.

The American Library Association has removed Wilder's name from one its book awards.

Do you agree? Yes or No, Maybe not acceptable.

I no more agree with this than I do removing Huck Finn from public library shelves because of its use of the N word.

To me, this ALA action equates with any far right efforts to remove Tropic of Capricorn or Catcher in the Wry from public libraries.

Vote.

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name removed from book award over racism concerns

Wilder spoke in the views of 19th century Americans

Indians were savages. When they spoke of settlement they referred to white Americans
What she said is hardly offensive in our era, let alone the 1880s

The American Library Association has removed Wilder's name from one its book awards.

I no more agree with this than I do removing Huck Finn from public library shelves because of its use of the N word.

To me, this ALA action equates with any far right efforts to remove Tropic of Capricorn or Catcher in the Wry from public libraries.

Vote.

Yeah- pretty stupid decision. Totally disagree

he-who-control-the-past.jpg

You know Jake, I agree with you. This is beyond stupid.

Now, while some of her views may not fit in with today's society, they were pretty much the standard way things were done and said back then. I mean for crying out loud, she died in 1957, and the Equal Rights Act didn't come into being until 1964. There is no way she could know the attitude of todays people.

And............................getting rid of things that we currently find offensive, or editing or changing them to make books more acceptable to people nowadays is not only offensive to the author (changing their works), but it also is dumb, because current attitudes towards people wouldn't have flown back then.

No, whoever is doing this needs to be strung up by their thumbs and let their toes hang down.

In the 1800s, Indians were called dirty and savages
From the viewpoint of settlers, they were

People feared them and did not welcome them. The viewpoints of Ingalls Wilder reflected the peopleof her time.

Vote.

I whole-heartedly agree, Jake. Heck, I never thought even saying 'cotton-picking' was offensive. Every poor person in the cotton growing part of the country chopped cotton. Tennessee Ernie Ford always said 'pea-picking' too. And the elder Ingalls lived in a part of the country where hostlie attacks were not completely unusual. What's funny is that this proposal comes at a time when out leader is spewing malice all over Central Americans, Mexicans, Muslims and anybody else not Norweigan.

In the 1800s, Indians were called dirty and savages
From the viewpoint of settlers, they were

People feared them and did not welcome them. The viewpoints of Ingalls Wilder reflected the peopleof her time.

You know, in some places in Montana, white people still have that attitude towards Native Americans.

I grew up around Indians.

Alcoholism is rampant among them, and they aren't the most hygienic people.

Especially true when it comes to those Indians who still live on or around the reservations. .... :cool:

Last edited:

Vote.

Edit: I misread. I want to leave her books on shelves. The publisher can put a forward in showing what savages white people were back then.

Far as the award, the giver of the award has to decide what is right. No need to ban the book but if someone loves Trump more than Ted Williams they can call the batter of the year award the Trump award, who cares. Just don't erase Williams from history.

Another example of anti-white racism that pushes itself into Orwellian behavior.

We are looking very much like the assholes in the ME that destroyed ancient statues.

My favorite story was the Christmas where pa went miles into town to get Christmas presents and candy...fell into a hole covered with snow...on the way back home. Missing for three days. Sure...dad went to town and got smashed and nobody saw him for three days. Said he had to eat all the Christmas candy he had bought to stay alive. Lol.

Another example of anti-white racism that pushes itself into Orwellian behavior.

I'll disagree with that strongly.

Times just change. I understand judging her by the standards of her day not ours. If we talk about banning her books I get angry. If we're just talking about removing her name from an award so be it.

It is all Fahrenheit 451.
I am against any attempt by the left or right to censor. Both try to limit free speech and expression despite Jakes assumption that it is a craft of the far right alone.
Political correctness the prime example and...
Let us not forget Tipper Gore and the PMRC.

Now there will be a renewed interest in the books.

Censors actually do more for sales.

I agree. As a child I read a lot of Jack Londons books and as an adult I found out he was another dyed in the wool racist. People like that should not be celebrated. If an author of a book is allowed to spread their poison it just creates more racist attitudes. At the end of the day she did nothing we will miss. Other authors will and have come forward to take her place. At the end of the day her legacy doesnt justify any celebration because of the immeasurable harm her and other racists attitude have done.

Forum List

Back