Latest and greatest from Apple for you Mac fans

My school requires that we carry protection, I mean for computers, not condoms. I've had it since I bought my mac, (2 of them), never been alerted to anything, though backup is weekly and updates regular.

No mac attacks on mine, so far.

There are two reasons Mac's are currently more secure than others, and it's oddly the same two reasons Linux and Unix are more secure.

1. Not as many people use them so the virus coders (assholes IMO) just have no reason to write for them.

2. Linux and Unix (and Mac being *nix based) has a more secure kernel because of good programming. It was developed for multi-user servers and networks so the inherent security issues with Windoze just do not exist (though MS is still trying to close those holes).

If Mac became as popular as Windoze you can kiss that security goodbye unless the rumor of them going all Linux is true. At least in the virus department. Although there is one other aspect to Mac that you don't know (though it only takes effect when you get an internet connection) all security updates are silent and automatic, so you just don't see the difference.

There are two reasons Mac's are currently more secure than others, and it's oddly the same two reasons Linux and Unix are more secure.

1. Not as many people use them so the virus coders (assholes IMO) just have no reason to write for them.

2. Linux and Unix (and Mac being *nix based) has a more secure kernel because of good programming. It was developed for multi-user servers and networks so the inherent security issues with Windoze just do not exist (though MS is still trying to close those holes).

If Mac became as popular as Windoze you can kiss that security goodbye unless the rumor of them going all Linux is true. At least in the virus department. Although there is one other aspect to Mac that you don't know (though it only takes effect when you get an internet connection) all security updates are silent and automatic, so you just don't see the difference.

Considering I was a PC person from the get go, turned to mac in pique. I consider what you say proof my retaliation wasn't misplace. Thanks for that!

Forum List

Back