Windows 7 Almost Ready

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Microsoft Corp.'s next version of the Windows operating system is almost ready for prime time. That's one message Chief Executive Steve Ballmer delivered on the eve of the official opening of the International Consumer Electronics Show.

The CEO announced that a nearly final "beta" test version of Windows 7 will be available Friday for regular PC users to download and tinker with.

The new operating system — which could be available for purchase on PCs within a year — uses much of the same underlying technology as its predecessor, the much-maligned Vista.

But Windows 7 aims to resolve many problems PC users had with Vista. For instance, Microsoft pledges to make it easier to install peripheral devices and to have the software pump out fewer annoying warnings and notifications.

Ballmer also pledged that Windows 7 will boot faster and drain laptop batteries more slowly.

FOXNews.com - Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 Almost Ready - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Just got a new computer a couple weeks ago and I'm using Vista for the first time.

So far, no complaints. What's the beef with it?

It's a memory hog if you're running only 1 gig of memory. 4 gigs is the standard these days.

I have 2 gigs, and I run music production software, usually multiple programs that eat memory for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Haven't even noticed a delay.

Vista is a bit of a resource hog, but I've been using it since launch on a couple computers and it works just fine. Most people who complain about it have never used it, in my experience :)

Like I said, I've been using Vista since launch. I also am responsible for the computers of a few friends who don't know much about them, and some of them have been running Vista for quite some time. No issues at all. The complaints are overblown. That's my personal view.

Like I said, I've been using Vista since launch. I also am responsible for the computers of a few friends who don't know much about them, and some of them have been running Vista for quite some time. No issues at all. The complaints are overblown. That's my personal view.

i agree Steer,my machine was built by a couple of geeks from Blizzard,and they told me that the problems with Vista are overblown,i have been using it for a good while now and have had ZERO problems,I-Tunes was a little incompatible,but i downloaded their 64 bit tunes,and wella,no problems.....maybe it is like cars,some people have great luck with Fords,others nothing but problems.....

i agree Steer,my machine was built by a couple of geeks from Blizzard,and they told me that the problems with Vista are overblown,i have been using it for a good while now and have had ZERO problems,I-Tunes was a little incompatible,but i downloaded their 64 bit tunes,and wella,no problems.....maybe it is like cars,some people have great luck with Fords,others nothing but problems.....

Blizzard, as in Warcraft?

That's cool. I play Warhammer...but hey!

I think I'm going to install the 64-bit Windows 7 beta and see how it goes.

I have 2 gigs, and I run music production software, usually multiple programs that eat memory for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Haven't even noticed a delay.

I'm looking to buy a new PC soon, and I won't settle for anything less than 4 gigs. But I'll also be getting two high powered graphics cards, because I plan to run games like Crysis at optimum performance. So, 4 gigs in pretty much necessary.

Yeah as I understand it, games use up a lot. I haven't played a game on the 'puter since NASCAR, back in like '96, and I remember needing 8MB Ram for it to function properly. LOL, 8MB.

But anyway though, besides the memory issue, what's so bad about Vista?

It seems like they just copied a load of "stuff" from apple again, at least that s what I ve red in a review of "Windows 7". Most of it is the same as in Vista they said and from what I know of vista it is also very very similar to the latest "Mac Os" operating system, so are they copying on then?

Last edited:
Yeah as I understand it, games use up a lot. I haven't played a game on the 'puter since NASCAR, back in like '96, and I remember needing 8MB Ram for it to function properly. LOL, 8MB.

But anyway though, besides the memory issue, what's so bad about Vista?

Nada. I love it, because I know the requirements to run it. Most of the complaints I hear are about how slow it runs, and most of those complaints are from people trying to run it on the same system they first installed XP on 8 years ago.

There's not much more functionality to it than XP (which is the complaint most gurus have), but it's a better looking OS. Hell, I felt the same way about Windows 98 to Windows XP, there wasn't much difference.

I look at Vista as more of a patch to XP than an upgrade from it. Windows 7 will be the major upgrade, adding a lot more features and completely overhauling the system. I almost want to wait for it to launch before I get a new PC, but I want a new PC sometime this decade.

I've never used it, but I always got the impression that it has a bad rap b/c many peripherals didn't have software programmed to make their items work w/ Vista - and a lot of that was probably resolved quite quickly. Really when you have hundreds of companies making peripherals there's bound to be a lag when the new OS comes out.

There's not much more functionality to it than XP (which is the complaint most gurus have), but it's a better looking OS. Hell, I felt the same way about Windows 98 to Windows XP, there wasn't much difference.

Are you saying that you think there wasn't much difference between XP and 98?

Forum List

Back