Latest and greatest from Apple for you Mac fans

what is there that you don't like? I really have nothing against PCs so much as I do against Windows. But I do know my mac has given me more than I've seen people get from their PC.

Subjective choices are often irrational. :lol:

What have you gotten from a Mac you can't get from a PC? Nothing. And the same is true in reverse. So it all comes down to subjective preference.

Actually, in reverse I can play games on my PC that I can't play on Mac unless I want to run Parallels or something.

What have you gotten from a Mac you can't get from a PC? Nothing. And the same is true in reverse. So it all comes down to subjective preference.

Actually, in reverse I can play games on my PC that I can't play on Mac unless I want to run Parallels or something.

Gamers and IT guys tend to hate MACs........ so what? IT guys need Windows like Lawyers need poorly written law, gamers are children.

Gamers and IT guys tend to hate MACs........ so what? IT guys need Windows like Lawyers need poorly written law, gamers are children.

What is it about an OS-related thread that brings out the morons?

In case anyone else isn't clear, the original video is from the Onion and isn't serious. Also, there's no need to take personal offense that not everyone likes your OS of choice.

the games I play on computers do not involve software...unless of course I am trying to.....shhhhh.

I've never owned a Mac but I have used one a few times and I found it good to use. Back in the 1980s I spent a day at a campus here called "School of the Future" (that name is now being used for an actual school here but the one I spent a day at was really an applied research in education establishment).

The bloke showing me and my colleagues around told us then that the whole place used only Macs and that the education system in our state would use only Macs. As I said, this was in the 1980s. The stuff they had was incredible. I had a fairly reasonable PC back then but it would not touch the work they were doing with the Macs at that place. The multimedia work they were doing was like rocket science to me.

Anyway I'm fine with GNU/Linux, and as Steerpike says (and I'm not a power user by any means) you do just about anything on a GNU/Linux machine that Windows (okay, games apart) and Mac can do and you get to choose from thousands and thousands of packages, most free (as in free beer) and open source so if you're adept you can actually improve them.

To each their own.

Anything I want to do with it. From just business-related tasks, browsing, web developing that I used to do a bit of (including creating web graphics), to gaming. I'd rather use a PC for all of those things. I've tried Mac on all of them, in fact, and for many other applications, and I can't stand them.

I have Office on my Mac and it is nowhere as good as on Windows.

But to me, that's the only thing.

I've never owned a Mac but I have used one a few times and I found it good to use. Back in the 1980s I spent a day at a campus here called "School of the Future" (that name is now being used for an actual school here but the one I spent a day at was really an applied research in education establishment).

The bloke showing me and my colleagues around told us then that the whole place used only Macs and that the education system in our state would use only Macs. As I said, this was in the 1980s. The stuff they had was incredible. I had a fairly reasonable PC back then but it would not touch the work they were doing with the Macs at that place. The multimedia work they were doing was like rocket science to me.

Anyway I'm fine with GNU/Linux, and as Steerpike says (and I'm not a power user by any means) you do just about anything on a GNU/Linux machine that Windows (okay, games apart) and Mac can do and you get to choose from thousands and thousands of packages, most free (as in free beer) and open source so if you're adept you can actually improve them.

To each their own.

I've steered clear of the linux os and the thousands of free packages because I do not want to spend half my life fixing, holes, bugs viruses, etc.

can you tell me how secure these free packages are? what amount of time do you spend cleaning up things and installing security updates to plug holes, etc?

I've got about five MACs sitting idle in my basement.

I started working on the LISA and my first box was a PLUS folowed by every generation that came after than until about '92.

Nice boxes, but their cost isn't justified by proformance.

I've got about five MACs sitting idle in my basement.

I started working on the LISA and my first box was a PLUS folowed by every generation that came after than until about '92.

Nice boxes, but their cost isn't justified by proformance.

LISA? I saw one used by somebody. Lots of money that one.

after 92? I didn't get one until 2004 (december 2003)...why? because of slow modems and no broadband access. why go on the internet at a snail's pace? surfing the net never interested me as long as it took all day to view a page.

I paid for a mac in Dec 2003. Started using it in 2004 and it is just now dying. have bought no upgrades or software needed to make it safe to surf. I am not afraid to go online. I do not have to learn about superfluous security measures as I di when I had my PC Windows os lap top.

there were no hidden costs associated with my mac and it was out of the box ready with a dotmac account. everyone I knew with a PC who was new to the net had to get somebody else to help them...and then they paid for other..s-t-u-f-f.

my mac cost less in the long run.

I am actually on my old mac now... 1 GHz PowerPC G4. Emac-clunker.

runs adobe/macromedia suite of software and much more. never did get into data entry so no idea why I would want Office or any other program. I can most likely do stuff Office does with something else. me no robot. me no lemming. me mac addict. :cool:

To each their own.
Apple must have done that 'world wide' then with schools. They gave lots of the computers to schools, knowing that the software was where the money was at. Not so sure that's true anymore, as teachers have gotten more proficient at writing their own aids, especially with low cost education sites like:

Younger grades
EducationCity – educational games, fun learning for children, teaching resources

and

all grades:
Quia

Forum List

Back