Kyl Agrees To Payroll Tax Cut On One Condition

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
You guessed it: Extend all of the Bush tax cuts. In other words, Republicans aren't serious about compromising. Big surprise.

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Jon Kyl announced Monday what it will really take to extend a payroll tax holiday for the middle class: an extension of tax breaks for the wealthy.

The Arizona Republican, taking to the Senate floor after Democrats proposed a 1.9 percent surtax on income above $1 million to pay for the payroll tax break, argued that the tax cut didn't work. But, he said, he'd still support its extension if the wealthy keep their breaks, too.

Sen. Jon Kyl Raises Tax Hostage Scenario: Extend Bush Cuts For Payroll Tax Break

• Banned
It would be refreshing for once to see the pussies like Harry Reid and a good number of his fellow Democrats NOT cave on this one, as I fear they will shortly.

Agreed. I smell a temp extension around the corner. :frown:

You guessed it: Extend all of the Bush tax cuts. In other words, Republicans aren't serious about compromising. Big surprise.

That sounds like a compromise to me: each side gets something they want. Of course, when liberals talk about "compromise," what they really mean is that Republicans should bend over.

So agreeing to concede something to get what you would like isn't being serious about compromise?

Our educational system really sucks.

So agreeing to concede something to get what you would like isn't being serious about compromise?

In the liberal lexicon a "compromise" is when Republicans give up half of what they wanted but liberals give up nothing. My idea of a compromise would be to cut government spending by 40% rather than 90%.

So, one side gets everything while the other side (the working class) gets screwed.

Not surprising.

I just hope the Dems dont cave again. I'm sick of the GObP/pubs blackmailing the working class in order to give more to the 1%. And, its not like the rw voter has any sense about this. Jeeeez. They just mindlessly nod their heads, up and down, up and down.

• Banned

Nope. Asking for a filet mignon in exchange for a bologna sandwich isn't serious compromise.

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Jon Kyl announced Monday what it will really take to extend a payroll tax holiday for the middle class: an extension of tax breaks for the wealthy.

The Arizona Republican, taking to the Senate floor after Democrats proposed a 1.9 percent surtax on income above $1 million to pay for the payroll tax break, argued that the tax cut didn't work. But, he said, he'd still support its extension if the wealthy keep their breaks, too.

Sen. Jon Kyl Raises Tax Hostage Scenario: Extend Bush Cuts For Payroll Tax Break

humm, so, lowering taxes, is it good or bad because you have me confused....Obama wants to extend a tax cut...and so does Kyle...:eusa_eh:

and compromise?

can you please tell me how much and from what depts/orgs the dems have agreed to cut, remembering at this very moment, (this year and las) every single dollar we spend, 40 cents is borrowed, I await your information, thank you.

Last edited:
So, one side gets everything while the other side (the working class) gets screwed.

Not surprising.

I just hope the Dems dont cave again. I'm sick of the GObP/pubs blackmailing the working class in order to give more to the 1%. And, its not like the rw voter has any sense about this. Jeeeez. They just mindlessly nod their heads, up and down, up and down.

So what your saying is the payroll tax reductions that Obama claims to support aren't going to help the "working class"?

Who exactly will they help?

Nope. Asking for a filet mignon in exchange for a bologna sandwich isn't serious compromise.

Why not?

Do you have no concept of negotiating and compromise? You each give up something you want to give each other something the other wants.

Why not?

Do you have no concept of negotiating and compromise? You each give up something you want to give each other something the other wants.

Yeah, I know what 'compromise' means; but that's not a fair offer. Republicans know it. Democrats know it. If Republicans really wanted to extend the payroll tax cut for "the good of the middle class", then they'd do it instead of playing these games that they know damn well will only lead to more fighting. BTW, since when are Republicans AGAINST tax cuts?:confused:

The GObP/pubs signed a "pledge" to never raise taxes on anybody ever again.

Except for the working class of course.

Lying hypocrites.

Yeah, I know what 'compromise' means; but that's not a fair offer. Republicans know it. Democrats know it. If Republicans really wanted to extend the payroll tax cut for "the good of the middle class", then they'd do it instead of playing these games that they know damn well will only lead to more fighting. BTW, since when are Republicans AGAINST tax cuts?:confused:

So "compromise" is when Democrats get everything they are demanding and Republicans just meekly cave in and give it to them?

That is so beautifully liberal!

Kyl knows that's not a compromise. He's just being an ass.

Look a thread for the fringe liberals who want everything their way or that makes you an evil Republican. I see this conversation going far.

Political_Republicans_Suck_Black_Shirt.jpg

What on earth could possibly motivate the average person to support extending the Bush tax cuts? Do you have any sense of self-respect, or even self-preservation?

What on earth could possibly motivate the average person to support extending the Bush tax cuts? Do you have any sense of self-respect, or even self-preservation?

I'm for letting the Bush tax cuts expire. All of them. I'm glad we agree. Kerry on.

Forum List

Back