KY govt finally cuts subsidies to Noah's Ark Museum

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
This Week in Religion: Kentucky Govt Finally Cuts Off Subsidies to Noah's Ark Museum

The biggest fundamentalist freakouts of the week.

Photo Credit: Photostokam/Shutterstock

December 12, 2014 |

This has not been the best of weeks for Ken Ham, the president of Answers in Genesis, a Creationist apologist ministry which operates the Creation Museum. It seems Ham’s recent undertaking, building a Noah’s Ark theme park, is not quite going his way.

After being granted an $18 million tax incentive by the state of Kentucky’s tourism board, and just days after unveiling a billboard with the slogan “Thank God you cannot sink this ship,” the state has rescinded the tax incentive. Kentucky has found that the project violates state and federal employment laws.

“State tourism tax incentives cannot be used to fund religious indoctrination or otherwise be used to advance religion,” Tourism Secretary Bob Stewart wrote in the letter to the park. “The use of state incentives in this way violates the separation of church and state provisions of the Constitution and is therefore impermissible.”

Even Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, who has fully supported the project, could not defend the organization.

“While the leaders of the Ark Encounter had previously agreed not to discriminate in hiring based on religion, they now refuse to make that commitment and it has become apparent that they do intend to use religious beliefs as a litmus test for hiring decisions,” Beshear said.

Several Lake Worth City, Florida commissioners walked out of a government meeting, upset that the opening invocation was being delivered by an atheist. Lake Worth Mayor Pam Triolo and three other commissioners exited the meeting room when Miami atheist Preston Smith approached the stand to give an invocation.

In a statement, the mayor said that free speech works both ways and that she does not have to listen to anything she does not agree with. Other commissioners did not agree with the walkout. Commissioner Christopher McVoy told WPTV that it was, "very un-American, and a slap in the face to the principles people fought very hard to make sure we had those rights."

Speaking of free speech, Glenn Beck is quite upset over this week's episode of "Family Guy," which is titled “The 2000-Year-Old-Virgin.” The family tries to help Jesus Christ lose his virginity in the episode.

More at the link.

I wonder - what else could they have used that $18MILLION for ... "

I can live with states giving tax breaks on tourist traps, but bringing religion into the mix is just a bad idea. I'd be surprised if the Ark Park's lawyers and accountants didn't tell them that they'd lose their tax breaks and incentives if they insisted on only hiring based on religious lines.

Still, I recommend taking a trip to the Creation Museum. The gift shop alone was worth the price of admission. Unintentionally funny fag gifts for pretty much everyone in the sciences can be found.

Having been born and raised in the deep South, I know ignorance when I see it, and I have been trying to figure out which state is the most backward in the union, Kentucky, or Mississippi, for decades. I guess that this tilts the scale closer to MS, and away from Kentucky. South Carolina is a close third.

I can live with states giving tax breaks on tourist traps, but bringing religion into the mix is just a bad idea. I'd be surprised if the Ark Park's lawyers and accountants didn't tell them that they'd lose their tax breaks and incentives if they insisted on only hiring based on religious lines.

Still, I recommend taking a trip to the Creation Museum. The gift shop alone was worth the price of admission. Unintentionally funny fag gifts for pretty much everyone in the sciences can be found.

"... they'd lose their tax breaks and incentives if they insisted on only hiring based on religious lines."

That's what they did.

Up until then, they ignored the First Amendment and the fundies were all for it.

political-pictures-sarah-palin-christmas1.jpg

science-is-for-faggots2.jpg

"fag gifts"

:wtf:

"fag gifts"

I could be wrong, but it's likely that's a typo and he meant "gag gifts".

I stand totally in awe of the fact that those brave Kentuckians actually found the original ark!!! Wow, thing of that!!!

Actually, they found it in the basement of the First Self-Righteous Church, in Louisville, but it took several years to clean the crap up. Dinosaurs were not good sailors, and always got the runs when traveling by boat.

"fag gifts"

really???

:lol:

"fag gifts"

really???

Yeah. I originally just had "gag gifts" but went back and added "unintentionally funny". Somehow I lost a g and gained an f. Mea culpa...

Last edited:

"fag gifts"

really???

Yeah. I originally just had "gag gifts" but went back and added "unintentionally funny". Somehow I lost a g and gained an f. Mea culpa...

You just proved the BUTTERFLY EFFECT!!!

"When a Religion is good, I conceive that it will support itself; and, when it cannot support itself, and God does not take care to support, so that its Professors are oblig'd to call for the help of the Civil Power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."
-- Benjamin Franklin; from letter to Richard Price (October 9, 1780)

-

Tsk, Tsk. Oh, Kentucky...

"Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion & Govt in the Constitution of the United States the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history. ...in Kentucky for example, where it was proposed to exempt Houses of Worship from taxes."

-- James Madison; from 'Detached Memoranda'

Forum List

Back