Knightfall

Hey there Knightfall...

I'm going to have the combo #5 on your drive thru menu.

Pffft. You're worried somebody might stereotype you sideways, yet you still ain't realized your opinion doesn't count. What, you think you're going to help the nation by being yet another XXXXX Take a number and get in line.

Well, it seems that, in your mind at least, those with the same views emanating from your gassy pie hole are first in line. Whatever.

Oddly enough, the written (and read) word has done more to alter the perceptions of the world, for good or ill, than all the bombs and bullets and swords ever put into use.

Not "here" mind you, but if young sky walker can use you for a squeaky toy in his quest for the perfected phrase, so much the better, because then you, too, can have been useful towards his or her goal towards smashing through ill used and conceived paradigms. And that, "little girl," will be priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there Knightfall...

I'm going to have the combo #5 on your drive thru menu.

Pffft. You're worried somebody might stereotype you sideways, yet you still ain't realized your opinion doesn't count. What, you think you're going to help the nation by being yet another XXXXX. Take a number and get in line.

Well, it seems that, in your mind at least, those with the same views emanating from your gassy pie hole are first in line. Whatever.

Oddly enough, the written (and read) word has done more to alter the perceptions of the world, for good or ill, than all the bombs and bullets and swords ever put into use.

Not "here" mind you, but if young sky walker can use you for a squeaky toy in his quest for the perfected phrase, so much the better, because then you, too, can have been useful towards his or her goal towards smashing through ill used and conceived paradigms. And that, "little girl," will be priceless.

Nope, they just don't grow RWNJs like they used to....

Knightfall, ignore that funny man behind the curtain.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I was about 8 years old when I first read the Knightfall arc. It pretty much cemented my Batman fandom. I haven't read comics nearly as much in recent years, but have considered collecting again, just as a hobby to keep me busy.

Aside from Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller may be my favorite story line.

I have a feeling we will get along well. :cool:

I picked them up in my teen years, dropped them when life got busy after high school and then picked them back up about three years ago and became more avid in collecting. It's a fun project if you can find a character or author you really enjoy, and for the amount of pleasure I get for it, it comes in at a pretty small price tag if you go for the modern comics that are a few years old. If you are willing to search bargain boxes and know what to look for, you can pick up some great comics for a dollar or less an issue. Anyway, if you decide you want back into it, reading the old or the new, I can make suggestions.

The Dark Knight Returns is a really good one. I'd rate Miller's Year One higher than it, but both of them are great. You know they made a cartoon adaption this past year of The Dark Knight Returns?

I have no idea what your political beliefs are, but there's a good chance we will disagree on things, but as long as you are cool with people with different beliefs, I'm sure we will get along just fine. I promise to be nice at all times while on this forum.
Hello,

Guten Morgen, Knightfall, und sei herzlichst willkommen im USMB!!!

That was your official and very friendly greeting from the German delegation.

The klingons are probably on their way, too...

:D

Thanks...assuming you said something nice. :confused:
Sometimes it's not the political leaning that determines bon chance. When I first joined a political forum, it was gender. I chose, without thinking about it, a gender ambiguous name, and everyone thought I was a male. I didn't encourage the misperception, but I didn't correct it, either. That determined the quality and type of debate I was subject to. There were not the type of restrictions vis a vis sock puppets (and I didn't know the term) as there are here, so after a couple of years I altered the writing style a smidge and came into that forum as a female. Huge difference, and for ever after, even after I pointed out who I was in both names, pointed out discrepancies, and dropped the second poster. Many of the males posted differently, of course, but OMG the females were a SEA change of attitudes. ALL bodes ill for the progress of women in this world, much to my dismay.
Interesting. This is the kind of stuff I'd like to know more. If you are willing, I'd like to hear about this in more details. How did the guys and girls treat you differently and why do you think the ladies were more inclined to change their treatment of you?
Welcome !!!!!

Thank you kindly!

The Dark Knight Returns is a really good one. I'd rate Miller's Year One higher than it, but both of them are great. You know they made a cartoon adaption this past year of The Dark Knight Returns?

I have watched it... a few times. :redface:

PHP:

I have watched it... a few times. :redface:

I got it for Christmas from a friend who said, "I know you don't have this one," and I was thinking...sure. I totally didn't buy this the day it came out.

Hello,

I'm Knightfall. Over the last couple of years, I have decided that I enjoy writing and feel extremely concerned for the future of the United States, so my long term goals are to find a job writing and to use my words to help the nation. I would love for my writing to be useful in some grand, sweeping way and to be paid handsomely for it, but I realize that is a high and improbable goal, so though it is my long-term aim, I'm focused simply on bettering myself at the moment, and we'll see where things go from there.

I've been lurking on the board for the past several weeks. I'm going to jump in the fray for several reasons.

1. I want to get a better understanding of the ins and outs of political issues.

2. I want to discuss the issues with people from a variety of backgrounds and political ideologies to get a better grasp on what makes them tick.

3. I want to hone my reasoning skill.

4. I want to become intimately familiar with the arguments in support and opposition of various political views in order to use and oppose them more effectively.

5. I want to practice returning anger, sniping and scorn with measured calm.

6. Reluctantly, I want to have my writing seen by people who will dislike it and joyfully tear into me for any grammar or spelling mistakes I make so that I can minimize bad habits in the future. Permission granted to any and all to be a grammar Nazi to me.

I have not decided if I want to reveal any personal information about myself. I'm sure my political views will be deciphered quickly, but I'm inclined to keep a clean slate for the moment just to keep myself from being easily pigeonholed into a particular stereotype.

With that out of the way, let the games begin.

1. through 6. --> won't happen
7. can you flame?

Hello,

I'm Knightfall. Over the last couple of years, I have decided that I enjoy writing and feel extremely concerned for the future of the United States, so my long term goals are to find a job writing and to use my words to help the nation. I would love for my writing to be useful in some grand, sweeping way and to be paid handsomely for it, but I realize that is a high and improbable goal, so though it is my long-term aim, I'm focused simply on bettering myself at the moment, and we'll see where things go from there.

I've been lurking on the board for the past several weeks. I'm going to jump in the fray for several reasons.

1. I want to get a better understanding of the ins and outs of political issues.

2. I want to discuss the issues with people from a variety of backgrounds and political ideologies to get a better grasp on what makes them tick.

4. I want to become intimately familiar with the arguments in support and opposition of various political views in order to use and oppose them more effectively.

6. Reluctantly, I want to have my writing seen by people who will dislike it and joyfully tear into me for any grammar or spelling mistakes I make so that I can minimize bad habits in the future. Permission granted to any and all to be a grammar Nazi to me.

I have not decided if I want to reveal any personal information about myself. I'm sure my political views will be deciphered quickly, but I'm inclined to keep a clean slate for the moment just to keep myself from being easily pigeonholed into a particular stereotype.

1. through 6. --> won't happen
7. can you flame?

Any particular reason?

You'll learn soon enough.

Go to the Clean Debate Zone for what you are looking.

I considered sticking to the clean forum since that is, theoretically, how people should discuss politics, but it seems to me that since most people are not overly kind when it comes to political discussions it would be foolish to train myself in a sterile environment. I want to be practiced with staying on topic and keeping cool even when others spaz out.

Hello,

Well, that was interesting. There's plenty of good threads where you can find people that will be glad to debate with you, whatever side you are on....but you'll find that we have some trolls who just like to make noise....easily discernible, so you can avoid them.

Have fun and
welcome_036.gif

The FZ is the best subforum.

That's where all the best laughs happen.

I wouldn't send a noob there.....that's where the trolls flourish...

Yeah, but it's the best place for a noob to brush up on their trolling skills. This is a political forum. You have to learn some time. :cool:

No, no, the trolls will splat him....he has to earn his greenies first in a safe place...quit being mean to noobs.

Welcome Knightfall. Does your name mean the fall of the age of knights, or is it when they fell off their mounts?

Thanks for the welcome.

It's a reference to a mid-nineties Batman story arc, actually. I'm a big comic book fan, I was reading it just the other day, and it was the first username that came to mind that didn't completely suck and was not already taken, so...Knightfall.

Both of your interpretations work well. If I chose one of those I would either appear more intellectual or more humorous, but I'll cop to my nerd roots. :redface:

Thanks.

Welcome to USMB, Knightfall. Hope you enjoy the boards.

And thank you. I'm surprised to see how many of you prowl the intro boards. I appreciate the welcome.

So if it is the latter, do you like have a crane to get ya back on, or are you like an upside down turtle.

Welcome.

In pursuit of 3, 4 and 5, may I humbly recommend regularly reviewing this list of fallacious arguments:
Logical Fallacies and the Art of Debate

Ad Hominem is the norm here. And beware of the straw man, or should I say straw men--they are legion here.

The ignore feature is your friend if you want to read only reasoned arguments.

It's refreshing to see someone who wishes to learn and grow. You are most welcome.

Have fun.

Good for you.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

Well, that was interesting. There's plenty of good threads where you can find people that will be glad to debate with you, whatever side you are on....but you'll find that we have some trolls who just like to make noise....easily discernible, so you can avoid them.

Have fun and
welcome_036.gif

Thanks!

Yeah, there certainly are a high percentage of people on USMB that just want to cut a pound of flesh from their adversaries. Weird. I guess I understand that desire; I fell that way sometimes, but I'd like to think that when I've resorted to mean spirited comments, I've at least waited for a decent provocation. Many around here seem to be on a hair trigger.

Sadly, it seems a lot of people that engage in noise making also have some good thoughts. It's a shame that so many people can't debate without being rude.

I wouldn't send a noob there.....that's where the trolls flourish...

Yeah, but it's the best place for a noob to brush up on their trolling skills. This is a political forum. You have to learn some time. :cool:

No, no, the trolls will splat him....he has to earn his greenies first in a safe place...quit being mean to noobs.

Greenies? I can get paid for writing on the boards? Awesome!:D

In pursuit of 3, 4 and 5, may I humbly recommend regularly reviewing this list of fallacious arguments:

Logical Fallacies and the Art of Debate

Ad Hominem is the norm here. And beware of the straw man, or should I say straw men--they are legion here.

The ignore feature is your friend if you want to read only reasoned arguments.

It's refreshing to see someone who wishes to learn and grow. You are most welcome.

Have fun.
Thanks! That was extremely helpful. I went through those many years ago, but I had forgotten them, and at the time I looked at them, I was not thinking about actually identifying or using them.

A thought on a couple of the points. I've been wondering about something that should probably be considered a logical fallacy and might be on some list but was not exactly listed there. Specifically, I was thinking about debates founded on purely emotional foundations rather than logical analysis. I don't tend to use this myself, but it seems to be extremely helpful with the masses, and I've wondered if it is not worth exploring. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on it. Do you feel is best left out of debate or is it a powerful tool? I suspect it is quite useful when used to bolster a reasoned argument. If you could somehow weave an argument to intertwine the logical with the emotionally weighty, that should make an impact.

If you ever see me making a logical fallacy, please call me on it.

Forum List

Back