Knightfall

Good for you.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

Well, that was interesting. There's plenty of good threads where you can find people that will be glad to debate with you, whatever side you are on....but you'll find that we have some trolls who just like to make noise....easily discernible, so you can avoid them.

Have fun and
welcome_036.gif

Thanks!

Yeah, there certainly are a high percentage of people on USMB that just want to cut a pound of flesh from their adversaries. Weird. I guess I understand that desire; I fell that way sometimes, but I'd like to think that when I've resorted to mean spirited comments, I've at least waited for a decent provocation. Many around here seem to be on a hair trigger.

Sadly, it seems a lot of people that engage in noise making also have some good thoughts. It's a shame that so many people can't debate without being rude.

No, no, the trolls will splat him....he has to earn his greenies first in a safe place...quit being mean to noobs.

Greenies? I can get paid for writing on the boards? Awesome!:D
You can get positive reputation or negative reputation. Greenies are positive reputation. Some meanies like to give out negative rep (red) to noobs, which is against the rules in the Intro Forum, so if you get negged by someone here, report them cause they shouldn't be doing it.

To get acquainted with the coolest people visit "The Tavern" ....you'll get free drinks and lots of sympathy when things ain't going right.....and nobody is mean to anyone there.

"I was thinking about debates founded on purely emotional foundations rather than logical analysis. I don't tend to use this myself, but it seems to be extremely helpful with the masses, and I've wondered if it is not worth exploring. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on it."

It's very common. Most proper families teach their children not to discuss politics or religion in polite society. It tends to rile emotions. Emotions tend to rile thought.

I'm an older gentleman and I've learned over the years it's better to support each other than to pick fights. When you're with someone who is emotional about a topic, be tolerant.

--Tolerant
showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

If you don't agree with the person's point of view and you clearly see they are emotional about it, that's a good sign for you to sit back and observe. You can learn a lot by just watching.

Love each other and listen.

I'm a sailor. A common thing we tell each other is to "Be excellent to the boat. Be excellent to each other."

When I was younger, I was a hot head and a fighter. Now, I'm just another cranky old man but I still want to learn.

On this board, you have a lot of insulting between people who have different points of view. I wish we could change that.

Dive in. Be polite but firm. If someone consistently insults you, put them on ignore. You're going to spot really quick about a dozen folks who are predictable in their monkey cage poo flinging. They are humorous for a short time but they become tiresome. That's what the ignore function is for.

Looking forward to your posts.

If you ever see me making a logical fallacy, please call me on it

I wish I were smart enough to catch them all. I spend most of my time keeping myself in check. I'll watch your back if you'll watch mine.

Cheers.

"I was thinking about debates founded on purely emotional foundations rather than logical analysis. I don't tend to use this myself, but it seems to be extremely helpful with the masses, and I've wondered if it is not worth exploring. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on it."

It's very common. Most proper families teach their children not to discuss politics or religion in polite society. It tends to rile emotions. Emotions tend to rile thought.

I'm an older gentleman and I've learned over the years it's better to support each other than to pick fights. When you're with someone who is emotional about a topic, be tolerant.

--Tolerant
showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

If you don't agree with the person's point of view and you clearly see they are emotional about it, that's a good sign for you to sit back and observe. You can learn a lot by just watching.

I'm a sailor. A common thing we tell each other is to "Be excellent to the boat. Be excellent to each other."

When I was younger, I was a hot head and a fighter. Now, I'm just another cranky old man but I still want to learn.

On this board, you have a lot of insulting between people who have different points of view. I wish we could change that.

Dive in. Be polite but firm. If someone consistently insults you, put them on ignore. You're going to spot really quick about a dozen folks who are predictable in their monkey cage poo flinging. They are humorous for a short time but they become tiresome. That's what the ignore function is for.

I wish I were smart enough to catch them all. I spend most of my time keeping myself in check. I'll watch your back if you'll watch mine.

Cheers.

You will find that there are many members here, that though we differ politically, are still able to discuss a topic without flinging poo, and there are many that can't. Those that fling poo, either don't know what they are talking about or don't know how to express themselves, so it is easier to just call someone an a'hole than to point out why they don't agree with you. I call those kind of posters, "trolls" - and we have plenty of them. I usually ignore their insults, or throw them back at them, and continue to tear down their stance...which usually just makes them angrier, and meaner.......:lol:

Good for you.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Yeah, there certainly are a high percentage of people on USMB that just want to cut a pound of flesh from their adversaries. Weird. I guess I understand that desire; I fell that way sometimes, but I'd like to think that when I've resorted to mean spirited comments, I've at least waited for a decent provocation. Many around here seem to be on a hair trigger.

Sadly, it seems a lot of people that engage in noise making also have some good thoughts. It's a shame that so many people can't debate without being rude.

No, no, the trolls will splat him....he has to earn his greenies first in a safe place...quit being mean to noobs.

Greenies? I can get paid for writing on the boards? Awesome!:D
You can get positive reputation or negative reputation. Greenies are positive reputation. Some meanies like to give out negative rep (red) to noobs, which is against the rules in the Intro Forum, so if you get negged by someone here, report them cause they shouldn't be doing it.

To get acquainted with the coolest people visit "The Tavern" ....you'll get free drinks and lots of sympathy when things ain't going right.....and nobody is mean to anyone there.

Negged for giving good advice.

[MENTION=30820]Moonglow[/MENTION] @Mr. H [MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION] [MENTION=38033]Indofred[/MENTION] [MENTION=43245]Pop23[/MENTION] [MENTION=40495]AngelsNDemons[/MENTION] [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] [MENTION=12591]Aaron[/MENTION]leeland [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] [MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION] [MENTION=2926]Toro[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=46136]dreolin[/MENTION] [MENTION=31703]williepete[/MENTION]

Since all of you took time to come by my Introduction thread and since I took an obscenely long time with This One Post, I thought maybe I'd pass it on. It's a lengthy reply to Statistikhengst proposal for stopping electioneering. It's one of the last posts on the page, but it's massive. You can't miss it. Feel free to ignore if you feel so inclined.

Yeah, I know about reputation. I was trying to be cute. (grins)

I might stop by the Tavern some time.

--Tolerant

Cheers.

When talking about making emotional appeals, I wasn't so much talking about railing on someone or something. Rather, I was thinking about making a different type of approach. If advocating for...sheesh what would be a good example? Okay, I'll use the last point I argued. When arguing for the freedom of the press even when the press might mislead people, I could make a reason argument as to why that is a necessary principle of freedom or I could take a more emotional approach. I could be, not directly attacking, but righteously indignant that anyone that would think of restricting that freedom, I could express sorrow that the noble principles of freedom were being destroyed, I could tell an anecdote of a journalist who ran a story with the best intentions which landed him in the targets of the big, oppressive government, or I could write a rousing collection of times the free press has aided the cause of justice. None of those latter routes would be directly addressing the question at hand as to whether it is just to restrict the press in this specific way, but they could all have an effect that would convince people...especially those that are more emotionally motivated.

I'm trying to follow your model for doing things partially because I suspect that is the best way and partially because I want to keep this account pure as one based on reason and fact rather than one doused by snide and cutting comments as I am sometimes tempted to use. I want to study the effects of staying beyond reproach in terms of my manner of debate. The one suggestion I wont follow is the ignore function because I want to practice manually ignoring the idiots in life, and I also want to study their...attack patterns so I can see the best way to reveal them as the fools they are if I ever have to try to defend myself against such a person one on one. I'm not great with words in spoken conversations; my thoughts get jumbled and I get thrown off in the moment, so it's not as if I see myself speaking about my beliefs professionally, but if I am going to ever become professional in writing, I'll need to be able to defend my beliefs somewhat in verbal conversations as well just to prove that I know my field.

I like the you scratch my back mentality. I'll let you know if I catch you making any logical fallacies.

Forum List

Back