Knightfall

Knightfall

Know Nothing Newbie
Jan 2, 2014
I was born and raised here.
Hello,

I'm Knightfall. Over the last couple of years, I have decided that I enjoy writing and feel extremely concerned for the future of the United States, so my long term goals are to find a job writing and to use my words to help the nation. I would love for my writing to be useful in some grand, sweeping way and to be paid handsomely for it, but I realize that is a high and improbable goal, so though it is my long-term aim, I'm focused simply on bettering myself at the moment, and we'll see where things go from there.

I've been lurking on the board for the past several weeks. I'm going to jump in the fray for several reasons.

1. I want to get a better understanding of the ins and outs of political issues.

2. I want to discuss the issues with people from a variety of backgrounds and political ideologies to get a better grasp on what makes them tick.

3. I want to hone my reasoning skill.

4. I want to become intimately familiar with the arguments in support and opposition of various political views in order to use and oppose them more effectively.

5. I want to practice returning anger, sniping and scorn with measured calm.

6. Reluctantly, I want to have my writing seen by people who will dislike it and joyfully tear into me for any grammar or spelling mistakes I make so that I can minimize bad habits in the future. Permission granted to any and all to be a grammar Nazi to me.

I have not decided if I want to reveal any personal information about myself. I'm sure my political views will be deciphered quickly, but I'm inclined to keep a clean slate for the moment just to keep myself from being easily pigeonholed into a particular stereotype.

With that out of the way, let the games begin.

Last edited:
I have not decided if I want to reveal any personal information about myself. I'm sure my political views will be deciphered quickly, but I'm inclined to keep a clean slate for the moment just to keep myself from being easily pigeonholed into a particular stereotype.

Socrates was a great thinker so, if I may, I'll quote him as part of my first post in this thread.
As the Athenian said, "you have fuck all chance".
Your views may well become apparent in short order but you'll be boxed up as a <whatever> for one side of your view or something you happen to be.

You could be the greatest supporter of the American dream on planet earth but, if your a Muslim, you'll be a suicide bomber; Jews are Juden and so on.

I'm a capitalist by nature, ideal for the middle right of America but I'm also a Muslim so that about fucks me with many posters.
Everyone assumes I'm a liberal because I refuse to accept shit stories about Obama. In fact, I don't much like Obama but that little detail is nothing when you refuse to accept his birth certificate isn't a fake.
That and I have a nasty habit of researching stories and finding out they're a load of old bollocks.
Dogs not eating Koreans and fires the firemen didn't say weren't started by bombs really bug the idiot end of posters here.
Post the proof and you're a <favourite insult>.

You'll be pigeonholed before you know it.

I'm sure you've already picked out the morons.
However, I hope we have differing views on a wide variety of subjects because we need intelligent, well thought out and researched argument on here.

There are too few posters willing to go that extra mile to get the truth behind a story and even less that are willing to look at an event from both sides and take a side based on that event, not just political or religious ideals.

Welcome Knightfall. Does your name mean the fall of the age of knights, or is it when they fell off their mounts?

Thanks for the welcome.

It's a reference to a mid-nineties Batman story arc, actually. I'm a big comic book fan, I was reading it just the other day, and it was the first username that came to mind that didn't completely suck and was not already taken, so...Knightfall.

Both of your interpretations work well. If I chose one of those I would either appear more intellectual or more humorous, but I'll cop to my nerd roots. :redface:

Thanks.

Welcome to USMB, Knightfall. Hope you enjoy the boards.

And thank you. I'm surprised to see how many of you prowl the intro boards. I appreciate the welcome.

Welcome Knightfall. Does your name mean the fall of the age of knights, or is it when they fell off their mounts?

Thanks for the welcome.

It's a reference to a mid-nineties Batman story arc, actually. I'm a big comic book fan, I was reading it just the other day, and it was the first username that came to mind that didn't completely suck and was not already taken, so...Knightfall.

Both of your interpretations work well. If I chose one of those I would either appear more intellectual or more humorous, but I'll cop to my nerd roots. :redface:

Thanks.

Welcome to USMB, Knightfall. Hope you enjoy the boards.

And thank you. I'm surprised to see how many of you prowl the intro boards. I appreciate the welcome.
I do it because when I arrived at USMB, very few people welcomed me. So, yep, I will prowl the intro threads if it makes someone feel they are welcome here. In addition, I joined one thread and got chewed out twice before my first month was over. That felt worse than the dismal intro thread I started. But I persevered because I love America very much.

Hello Knightfall..

2914024dz2bkrsame.gif

Welcome to the USMB..

Socrates was a great thinker so, if I may, I'll quote him as part of my first post in this thread.
Your views may well become apparent in short order but you'll be boxed up as a <whatever> for one side of your view or something you happen to be.

You could be the greatest supporter of the American dream on planet earth but, if your a Muslim, you'll be a suicide bomber; Jews are Juden and so on.

I'm a capitalist by nature, ideal for the middle right of America but I'm also a Muslim so that about fucks me with many posters.
Everyone assumes I'm a liberal because I refuse to accept shit stories about Obama. In fact, I don't much like Obama but that little detail is nothing when you refuse to accept his birth certificate isn't a fake.
That and I have a nasty habit of researching stories and finding out they're a load of old bollocks.
Dogs not eating Koreans and fires the firemen didn't say weren't started by bombs really bug the idiot end of posters here.

However, I hope we have differing views on a wide variety of subjects because we need intelligent, well thought out and researched argument on here.

There are too few posters willing to go that extra mile to get the truth behind a story and even less that are willing to look at an event from both sides and take a side based on that event, not just political or religious ideals.

:lol: Yeah, I know I'm not going to stand above the fray. I was quite shocked when I first started scoping the site at how brutal and partisan many people are, and I know those who are observant will decypher my true politcal leanings quickly and those that are not so bright will just attack me as the other team as soon as they realize I disagree with them on something. What does interest me is seeing how that process works and observing how quickly I stir up animosity and how quickly I'm labeled as a...whatever by various groups. I'm just observing.

Also, I'm keeping almost all my personal information off of here to further obscure things, and I'm interested if that will make a difference. If I were conservative, well off white guy, then I would be one of the privileged that enjoys having all the advantages in society whereas if I were a poor Republican white guy, I'd just be a stooge who believes every lie the Republicans tell me. If I were a liberal with higher education, then I'd be an elitist, brainwashed sack of crap, and if I were a black liberal then I would be a fool who only supports the Democrats because they pander to minorities. What happens if I don't give any details? Will those who need these stereotypes try to classify me anyway or will it give me immunity from certain insults? Again, I'm just observing.

Ideally, I'd like to try different approaches with different alts and see how they are received, but I see that's prohibited here, so I guess if I decide to take that idea to the field, I'll have to do it somewhere else.
I do it because when I arrived at USMB, very few people welcomed me. So, yep, I will prowl the intro threads if it makes someone feel they are welcome here. In addition, I joined one thread and got chewed out twice before my first month was over. That felt worse than the dismal intro thread I started. But I persevered because I love America very much.
I scoped out the site before hand, so I'm prepared to be blasted by the unkind, but your kindness is still very much appreciated.
Once a King - Always a King

But once a knights enough

Welcome :beer:

Thanks!
Hello Knightfall..

Welcome to the USMB..

Oooh, fancy.

Thanks!

Hey there Knightfall...

I'm going to have the combo #5 on your drive thru menu.

Pffft. You're worried somebody might stereotype you sideways, yet you still ain't realized your opinion doesn't count. What, you think you're going to help the nation by being yet another XXXX Take a number and get in line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yay! A comic book nerd. One of the best Batman story arcs ever. :smiliehug:

Welcome, Knightfall. Now, run while you still can. :redface:

Who needs Skyfall? Batman's could beat the crap out of James Bond any day. :wink_2:

Hey there Knightfall...

I'm going to have the combo #5 on your drive thru menu.

Pffft. You're worried somebody might stereotype you sideways, yet you still ain't realized your opinion doesn't count. What, you think you're going to help the nation by being yet another XXXX. Take a number and get in line.

Ah. Well, that didn't take long. How exactly did you decipher that I was a libtard?

Yay! A comic book nerd. One of the best Batman story arcs ever. :smiliehug:

Welcome, Knightfall. Now, run while you still can. :redface:

Hey, if you want to go on about comics, I can give you a decent conversation. Talking DC, I can go on for quite a while. With Batman, we can talk all day. :cool:

I rather enjoy Knightfall. I've been rereading it for the third time with someone special recently, and it's nice to go back and see it come together piece by piece. From looking at it again, I will say that one of the weakest links in the story is the way that they drilled Jean-Paul Valley's mental issues into the reader in nearly every single story during Knightquest. I get that they needed to establish it, but it's pretty heavy handed when read all at once.

I've been reading a lot of issues from No Man's Land recently. I don't have them all, so I can't definitively say the arc is great, but from the issues I've managed to collect over the years from the bargain bins, it's pretty fantastic.

What should I beware on the board...other than rude partisans?

Welcome!!

Thanks!

Yo!

Interesting avatar. What's it from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if you want to go on about comics, I can give you a decent conversation. Talking DC, I can go on for quite a while. With Batman, we can talk all day. :cool:

I rather enjoy Knightfall. I've been rereading it for the third time with someone special recently, and it's nice to go back and see it come together piece by piece. From looking at it again, I will say that one of the weakest links in the story is the way that they drilled Jean-Paul Valley's mental issues into the reader in nearly every single story during Knightquest. I get that they needed to establish it, but it's pretty heavy handed when read all at once.

I've been reading a lot of issues from No Man's Land recently. I don't have them all, so I can't definitively say the arc is great, but from the issues I've managed to collect over the years from the bargain bins, it's pretty fantastic.

What should I beware on the board...other than rude partisans?

I think I was about 8 years old when I first read the Knightfall arc. It pretty much cemented my Batman fandom. I haven't read comics nearly as much in recent years, but have considered collecting again, just as a hobby to keep me busy.

Aside from Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller may be my favorite story line.

I have a feeling we will get along well. :cool:

Hello,

I'm Knightfall. Over the last couple of years, I have decided that I enjoy writing and feel extremely concerned for the future of the United States, so my long term goals are to find a job writing and to use my words to help the nation. I would love for my writing to be useful in some grand, sweeping way and to be paid handsomely for it, but I realize that is a high and improbable goal, so though it is my long-term aim, I'm focused simply on bettering myself at the moment, and we'll see where things go from there.

I've been lurking on the board for the past several weeks. I'm going to jump in the fray for several reasons.

1. I want to get a better understanding of the ins and outs of political issues.

2. I want to discuss the issues with people from a variety of backgrounds and political ideologies to get a better grasp on what makes them tick.

3. I want to hone my reasoning skill.

4. I want to become intimately familiar with the arguments in support and opposition of various political views in order to use and oppose them more effectively.

5. I want to practice returning anger, sniping and scorn with measured calm.

6. Reluctantly, I want to have my writing seen by people who will dislike it and joyfully tear into me for any grammar or spelling mistakes I make so that I can minimize bad habits in the future. Permission granted to any and all to be a grammar Nazi to me.

Guten Morgen, Knightfall, und sei herzlichst willkommen im USMB!!!

That was your official and very friendly greeting from the German delegation.

The klingons are probably on their way, too...

:D

Last edited:

:lol: Yeah, I know I'm not going to stand above the fray. I was quite shocked when I first started scoping the site at how brutal and partisan many people are, and I know those who are observant will decypher my true politcal leanings quickly and those that are not so bright will just attack me as the other team as soon as they realize I disagree with them on something. What does interest me is seeing how that process works and observing how quickly I stir up animosity and how quickly I'm labeled as a...whatever by various groups. I'm just observing.

Also, I'm keeping almost all my personal information off of here to further obscure things, and I'm interested if that will make a difference. If I were conservative, well off white guy, then I would be one of the privileged that enjoys having all the advantages in society whereas if I were a poor Republican white guy, I'd just be a stooge who believes every lie the Republicans tell me. If I were a liberal with higher education, then I'd be an elitist, brainwashed sack of crap, and if I were a black liberal then I would be a fool who only supports the Democrats because they pander to minorities. What happens if I don't give any details? Will those who need these stereotypes try to classify me anyway or will it give me immunity from certain insults? Again, I'm just observing.

Ideally, I'd like to try different approaches with different alts and see how they are received, but I see that's prohibited here, so I guess if I decide to take that idea to the field, I'll have to do it somewhere else.
I scoped out the site before hand, so I'm prepared to be blasted by the unkind, but your kindness is still very much appreciated.
Once a King - Always a King

But once a knights enough

Welcome :beer:

Thanks!
Hello Knightfall..

Welcome to the USMB..

Oooh, fancy.

Thanks!

Sometimes it's not the political leaning that determines bon chance. When I first joined a political forum, it was gender. I chose, without thinking about it, a gender ambiguous name, and everyone thought I was a male. I didn't encourage the misperception, but I didn't correct it, either. That determined the quality and type of debate I was subject to. There were not the type of restrictions vis a vis sock puppets (and I didn't know the term) as there are here, so after a couple of years I altered the writing style a smidge and came into that forum as a female. Huge difference, and for ever after, even after I pointed out who I was in both names, pointed out discrepancies, and dropped the second poster. Many of the males posted differently, of course, but OMG the females were a SEA change of attitudes. ALL bodes ill for the progress of women in this world, much to my dismay.

Forum List

Back