KFC's new "finger lickin' good" campaign is slammed for being racially insensitive

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
So what is KFC supposed to do?

Are they supposed to stop hiring black actors for their commercials?

Because I can't see that not getting accusations of racism.

So what are they supposed to do?

kfc.PNG

KFC's new "finger lickin' good" campaign is slammed for being racially insensitive​

August 27, 2023

A new KFC campaign being run in Canada has sparked a flurry of criticism on Twitter after photos of billboards were deemed racially insensitive. The global restaurant chain has long used its slogan, “It’s finger lickin’ good,” and in the new advertisement, the company utilizes a witty attempt at proving it.

Azim Akhtar, the director of marketing for KFC Canada, excitedly shared images that depicted the reflections of two Black men and a woman of color in silverware as they ate chicken and licked their fingers. “Sorry, utensils. It’s finger lickin’ good. Latest campaign, I couldn’t be more proud!” he tweeted on Aug. 24.

The marketing effort was applauded by many for creatively playing off the slogan, which dates back to the 1950s. But Black people in particular expressed disappointment, criticizing KFC for approving a marketing plan that perpetuated racist stereotypes.

“This is why it’s important for marketers/advertisers to study art history and historic ad campaigns. The print ad vs. the video came across as a caricature display of Black people. A picture is worth a thousand words. Nah, this was a miss,” wrote one person. Another individual said the fast-chicken supplier was “bringing minstrel tropes and fried chicken back in style.”

“You being the director of marketing, sharing multiple gigantic billboards with Black folks eating fried chicken, licking their fingers, is simply not it. No matter how diverse you feel this ad is,” said one person.

You know who likes fried chicken? Everybody. Even blacks.

I don't get it. No one complains when blacks and shoehorned into every god damn commercial and ad in America but soon as it's fried chicken they take issue with it?

Blacks tend to come from the south, people in the south love biscuits, fried chicken, watermelon, and so on.

When I worked for a hotel we had a southern bapist church stay with us annually, about 800 of them and they had just piles and piles of fried chick for dinner. They were all black and it's what they ordered when they set up the catering menu and they ate every damn piece.

It's not racist to like fried chicken because it's delicious.

Fuck those nwords trying to make every thing about race.

I don't get it. No one complains when blacks and shoehorned into every god damn commercial and ad in America but soon as it's fried chicken they take issue with it?

Blacks tend to come from the south, people in the south love biscuits, fried chicken, watermelon, and so on.

When I worked for a hotel we had a southern bapist church stay with us annually, about 800 of them and they had just piles and piles of fried chick for dinner. They were all black and it's what they ordered when they set up the catering menu and they ate every damn piece.

I love lard biscuits, fried chicken, and watermelon and Im not even black. I have black friends who love fried chicken, watermelon, and biscuits. We laugh together at the stupidity as we're licking our fingers and spitting seeds.

download.jpg

So what is KFC supposed to do?

Are they supposed to stop hiring black actors for their commercials?

Because I can't see that not getting accusations of racism.

So what are they supposed to do?

View attachment 821400

KFC's new "finger lickin' good" campaign is slammed for being racially insensitive​

August 27, 2023

A new KFC campaign being run in Canada has sparked a flurry of criticism on Twitter after photos of billboards were deemed racially insensitive. The global restaurant chain has long used its slogan, “It’s finger lickin’ good,” and in the new advertisement, the company utilizes a witty attempt at proving it.

Azim Akhtar, the director of marketing for KFC Canada, excitedly shared images that depicted the reflections of two Black men and a woman of color in silverware as they ate chicken and licked their fingers. “Sorry, utensils. It’s finger lickin’ good. Latest campaign, I couldn’t be more proud!” he tweeted on Aug. 24.

The marketing effort was applauded by many for creatively playing off the slogan, which dates back to the 1950s. But Black people in particular expressed disappointment, criticizing KFC for approving a marketing plan that perpetuated racist stereotypes.

“This is why it’s important for marketers/advertisers to study art history and historic ad campaigns. The print ad vs. the video came across as a caricature display of Black people. A picture is worth a thousand words. Nah, this was a miss,” wrote one person. Another individual said the fast-chicken supplier was “bringing minstrel tropes and fried chicken back in style.”

“You being the director of marketing, sharing multiple gigantic billboards with Black folks eating fried chicken, licking their fingers, is simply not it. No matter how diverse you feel this ad is,” said one person.

I've dabbled in advertising several times in my life and I have to say that that is a great commercial and there is nothing racially insensitive about it at all. It depicts both blacks and whites enjoying finger lickin good chicken. Canada can go fuck themselves.

Forum List

Back