Keystone pipeline spills more than 350,000 gallons of oil in North Dakota

Oh here's a big surprise.
The Keystone pipeline has spilled hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude oil into North Dakota this week, The New York Times reports.

The pipeline has leaked roughly 383,000 gallons of crude oil, impacting an estimated half-acre of wetland, according to state environmental regulators.
A whole half acre
How will the nation ever recover

Yes, we get 160,000 TONS of natural oil seep a year!! Somehow we survive. (see m former post for link, etc.)

Natural oil seep is nothing like the diluted bitumen (dilbit) pumped thru the Keystone. It's a toxic sludge that has to be injected with liquefied natural gas to thin it sufficiently to flow through the pipeline. It's easily contained within 1/2 acre because it doesn't flow without the boosting pump stations of a pipeline. It does, however, have a specific gravity much higher than crude oil. 383,000 gallons on 1/2 acre is 17+ gallons/sf. It won't just sit there - it will seep into the ground. Crude is lighter than water, dilbit is not, increasing the danger to any water table it may contact, or transit top-to-bottom, in the event of a leak. Pipelines are largely-safe, with sensors and excess-flow valves to prevent large leaks, but they are susceptible to attack and accidents. It's borderline insane to transport dilbit across the US and over water tables.

The Keystone pipeline has spilled hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude oil into North Dakota this week, The New York Times reports.

The pipeline has leaked roughly 383,000 gallons of crude oil, impacting an estimated half-acre of wetland, according to state environmental regulators.
----------------------------------- big deal , I guess that now it might be mopped up eh Angelo ??

Lets see if I got this right.

When oil and gas are untouched underground it is considered natural and unharmful to the earth.

The very second we put it in a pipe it suddenly is a toxic earth killing substance.

We should just burn it and get rid of it.

I like the example of WW2 and WW1 and the millions of tons of oil , grease , diesel and all other petroleum products being dumped in the SEAS and Oceans daily because of sunken ships and the oil spills never caused any harm . Same thing with the 'Deep Water Horizon' oil rig that went all to heck a few years in the past and it spewed oil for days and weeks and maybe a couple of months . And neither of my examples which represent lots of oil spills caused any lasting harm . And here some cry about an oil spill of 350 million gallons of oil spill in 'north dakota' that I think is already contained in some frozen marsh .

Last edited:
How much do they add up to, since you obviously have the facts and figures at hand?
Why don't you ask ask a pelican ?
ss-100603-oilspill-jc-01_2-ss_full.jpg
There are pelicans in North Dakota?

Half An Acre ??
That's My Back Yard
Were You One Of The Protesters That Left This ??

Oil_Pipeline2.JPG.jpg Eco-Frauds.jpg Dakota-Pipeline-Garbage-620x436.jpg

Lets see if I got this right.

When oil and gas are untouched underground it is considered natural and unharmful to the earth.

The very second we put it in a pipe it suddenly is a toxic earth killing substance.
Like CO2....

How much do they add up to, since you obviously have the facts and figures at hand?
They migrate though MN and ND, during spring and fall by the tens of thousands. Usually will only see them for a couple weeks as they pass through. They head to far north during breeding season.
A variety of tropical birds migrate north every year.

They migrate though MN and ND, during spring and fall by the tens of thousands. Usually will only see them for a couple weeks as they pass through. They head to far north during breeding season.
A variety of tropical birds migrate north every year.
I knew geese and other birds migrated that far north but wasn't sure about pelicans. It's beside the point though, because in post #18 , I was responding to a broader question from #17.

------------------------------------------ lots of Pelicans here on Gods Good Green earth . I also wonder how many birds are whacked in the head and bodies by whirling blades on WINDMILLS that are distributed in various places throughout the USA [if I cared]

Angelo said:
I was responding to a broader question from #17.
You Were Dodging The Question
By Playing A Round OF Bullshit

Because Your OP Is Unfounded Bullshit

pismoe said:
I also wonder how many birds are whacked in the head and bodies by whirling blades on WINDMILLS that are distributed in various places throughout the USA [if I careed]
It's Worse On Bats
Which Is A Primary Shield To Disease Carrying Mosquitoes
Thanks To The Banning Of DDT In The US
Because Some Self Absorbed Broad Had Breast Cancer

A whole half acre
How will the nation ever recover

Yes, we get 160,000 TONS of natural oil seep a year!! Somehow we survive. (see m former post for link, etc.)

Natural oil seep is nothing like the diluted bitumen (dilbit) pumped thru the Keystone. It's a toxic sludge that has to be injected with liquefied natural gas to thin it sufficiently to flow through the pipeline. It's easily contained within 1/2 acre because it doesn't flow without the boosting pump stations of a pipeline. It does, however, have a specific gravity much higher than crude oil. 383,000 gallons on 1/2 acre is 17+ gallons/sf. It won't just sit there - it will seep into the ground. Crude is lighter than water, dilbit is not, increasing the danger to any water table it may contact, or transit top-to-bottom, in the event of a leak. Pipelines are largely-safe, with sensors and excess-flow valves to prevent large leaks, but they are susceptible to attack and accidents. It's borderline insane to transport dilbit across the US and over water tables.
You mean it will soak back into the ground in which it came from?

Forum List

Back