Common sense: is 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on open ocean more dangerous than

But nothing about which is safer, 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on the open ocean or 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on drylands? Which is safer because according to the experts the 700 barrels is safer on dry land than 1 million barrels traveling on the ocean!
And the experts say dry land spills are less damaging than spills to water.
David Valentine, Professor of Earth Science and Biology at UCSB,
says it is better to have soil spills than ocean spills:
“In general, spills to soil are more contained than spills to water, and thus cleanup is more straightforward.
Damage is often lesser for soil spills. For this reason an aquatic spill (including marine) tends to be more harmful than a spill to soil.”

Linda Krop, Chief Counsel at the Environmental Defense Center (EDC) in Santa Barbara, California, agrees. “Spills in soils cause less damage and are easier to clean up effectively.” She adds that pipelines are unlike other modes of oil transportation because they can have safety features that make large leaks preventable:

So not being an expert what do the rest of you think...i.e. Surada???

But nothing about which is safer, 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on the open ocean or 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on drylands? Which is safer because according to the experts the 700 barrels is safer on dry land than 1 million barrels traveling on the ocean!
And the experts say dry land spills are less damaging than spills to water.
David Valentine, Professor of Earth Science and Biology at UCSB,
says it is better to have soil spills than ocean spills:
“In general, spills to soil are more contained than spills to water, and thus cleanup is more straightforward.
Damage is often lesser for soil spills. For this reason an aquatic spill (including marine) tends to be more harmful than a spill to soil.”

Linda Krop, Chief Counsel at the Environmental Defense Center (EDC) in Santa Barbara, California, agrees. “Spills in soils cause less damage and are easier to clean up effectively.” She adds that pipelines are unlike other modes of oil transportation because they can have safety features that make large leaks preventable:

So not being an expert what do the rest of you think...i.e. Surada???
I have read experts who claim that it's more difficult to clean up rivers, streams and creeks. All the US gets out of keystone XL is the environmental headaches.

I have read experts who claim that it's more difficult to clean up rivers, streams and creeks. All the US gets out of keystone XL is the environmental headaches.
You may have read it, but I won't believe it till you do what I do.... post a link!
Now I did a quick Google..

Is it easier to clean up soil spills than ocean spills?​

“If pipelines are equipped with leak detection systems, shutoff valves, and automatic shutdown systems, they should shut down immediately, and before very much oil spills. Other pipelines in Santa Barbara County have this type of equipment. Had the Plains pipeline shut down automatically as soon as the leak occurred, a very small amount of oil would have spilled and it would not have reached the ocean. Accordingly, it is critical that oil pipelines be designed and equipped with the best available technology (as currently required by AB 864, which passed in the aftermath of the oil spill). If pipelines are constructed and operated appropriately, there is more likelihood that the spill will occur in soil rather than water.”
But the real question YOU are ignoring...
Which would have the opportunity to spill more oil, thus do more damage... 1 million barrel oil tanker traveling 1 mile... OR
now I know this is difficult to admit to but 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on dry land with 16 monitors detecting links ever mile?
Which would spill more oil? 1 million barrels or 700 barrels? Not too complicated I think.

You may have read it, but I won't believe it till you do what I do.... post a link!
Now I did a quick Google..

Is it easier to clean up soil spills than ocean spills?​

“If pipelines are equipped with leak detection systems, shutoff valves, and automatic shutdown systems, they should shut down immediately, and before very much oil spills. Other pipelines in Santa Barbara County have this type of equipment. Had the Plains pipeline shut down automatically as soon as the leak occurred, a very small amount of oil would have spilled and it would not have reached the ocean. Accordingly, it is critical that oil pipelines be designed and equipped with the best available technology (as currently required by AB 864, which passed in the aftermath of the oil spill). If pipelines are constructed and operated appropriately, there is more likelihood that the spill will occur in soil rather than water.”
But the real question YOU are ignoring...
Which would have the opportunity to spill more oil, thus do more damage... 1 million barrel oil tanker traveling 1 mile... OR
now I know this is difficult to admit to but 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on dry land with 16 monitors detecting links ever mile?
Which would spill more oil? 1 million barrels or 700 barrels? Not too complicated I think.
Leave that to the Chinese. They own Canada's tarsands.

By "experts" you mean green idiots.

Nope. People that clean up oil spills.
Then prove IT! Geez who in the hell do you think you are that we just TAKE your word for it?
I go to a lot of trouble before I put something up so people can determine if it is true!
YOU? Continue to put up personal, subjective, totally your OPINION! No links. Please why can't you do that?
But even more important... the point of this thread was asking common sense question!
Which presents more problems... 1 million barrels traveling on the open ocean 1 mile OR 700 barrels again in case you don't comprehend... 700 barrels! Traveling 1 mile in a pipeline with 16 monitors per mile on DRY LAND?
How hard is that?

Drop dead.
And you can't even be honest enough to make a clearly rational, logical agreement that a 700 barrel/mile pipeline spill on dry land would cause less damage than a 1 million barrel spill on the ocean.
My goodness where is your environmental integrity? Have you lost all your intellectual honesty? Such a simple issue. Sad.

And you can't even be honest enough to make a clearly rational, logical agreement that a 700 barrel/mile pipeline spill on dry land would cause less damage than a 1 million barrel spill on the ocean.
My goodness where is your environmental integrity? Have you lost all your intellectual honesty? Such a simple issue. Sad.
TransCanada doesn't have a great track record. Most pipelines these days are monitored in real time for flow and pressure... And most tankers are double walled.

TransCanada doesn't have a great track record. Most pipelines these days are monitored in real time for flow and pressure... And most tankers are double walled.
Again you are evading the obvious why? Pride? And again you are doing that personal opinion, subjective comment thing!
Why do you continue to put up such trashy comments regarding TransCanada. Prove it!
FACTS: the US Government required all new oil tankers built for use between US ports to be equipped with a full double hull. However, the damage to the Exxon Valdez penetrated sections of the hull (the slops oil tanks, or slop tanks) that were protected by a double bottom, or partial double hull.

See how easy it is? Simple do a little research before you hit the keys!

700 barrels traveling one mile on dry land underground?
So why did Biden as did Obama cancel a pipeline that would be
A) part of a system that the White House says..
"White House admits pipelines are 'safest' way to transport oil"

B) part of 185,000 miles pipelines:that have spilled an average of 5 gallons per mile.
Nearly 9 million gallons of crude oil have spilled from pipelines in the United States since 2010.
(9 million spilled gallons of divided by 185,000 miles of pipeline divided by 6 years or 8 gallons/year/mile.)
So common sense. FACTs. Statistics all support.
8 gallons of spilled oil per mile per year VS 55 million gallons traveling one mile on open ocean per day!
Please defenders of Biden's cancelling Keystone... defend it!
Refute the White House acknowledging pipelines safest way!
Refute that 8 gallons per mile per year is more dangerous than 55 million gallons/mile/day!
Pipelines and tankers really can't be compared in this way. Both are necessary, and have their strengths and weaknesses.

Again you are evading the obvious why? Pride? And again you are doing that personal opinion, subjective comment thing!
Why do you continue to put up such trashy comments regarding TransCanada. Prove it!
FACTS: the US Government required all new oil tankers built for use between US ports to be equipped with a full double hull. However, the damage to the Exxon Valdez penetrated sections of the hull (the slops oil tanks, or slop tanks) that were protected by a double bottom, or partial double hull.

See how easy it is? Simple do a little research before you hit the keys!

Pipelines and tankers really can't be compared in this way. Both are necessary, and have their strengths and weaknesses.
Again NO FACTS. Now here are the FACTS!!!
70% of crude oil and petroleum products are shipped by pipeline.
23% of oil shipments are on tankers and barges over water.Oct 11, 2018
Since 1986 pipeline accidents have spilled an average of 76,000 barrels per year or more than 3 million gallons.
VS..3,170,000 barrels by tankers...(10,000 tonnes)
So how can there be a comparison? 70% by pipelines spilling nearly 2% of what tankers spill?
Again.. if given a choice which would you choose... 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on dry land or 1,000,000 barrels traveling 1 mile on the open ocean? Seriously how can you not see the obvious?

Forum List

Back