Justice Ginsburg Tells Egyptians: Look To The Constitutions of South Africa or Canada

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
We can’t have any more Justices like this appointed which is another reason we have to get rid of Obama

Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Tells Egyptians: Look To The Constitutions of South Africa or Canada, Not To The U.S. Constitution…

Ruth-Bader-Ginsburg.jpg

I can’t speak about what the Egyptian experience should be, because I’m operating under a rather old constitution. The United States, in comparison to Egypt, is a very new nation, and yet we have the oldest written constitution still in force in the world.

Let me say first that a constitution, as important as it is, will mean nothing unless the people are yearning for liberty and freedom. If the people don’t care, then the best constitution in the world won’t make any difference. So the spirit of liberty has to be in the population, and then the constitution – first, it should safeguard basic fundamental human rights, like our First Amendment, the right to speak freely, and to publish freely, without the government as a censor.

You should certainly be aided by all the constitution-writing that has gone one since the end of World War II. I would not look to the US constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012. I might look at the constitution of South Africa. That was a deliberate attempt to have a fundamental instrument of government that embraced basic human rights, had an independent judiciary… It really is, I think, a great piece of work that was done. Much more recent than the US constitution – Canada has a Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It dates from 1982. You would almost certainly look at the European Convention on Human Rights. Yes, why not take advantage of what there is elsewhere in the world?

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Tells Egyptians: Look To The Constitutions of South Africa or Canada, Not To The U.S. Constitution…

Last edited:
I would rather hear an evaluate an honest opinion than hear anymore demagoguery.

A fair evaluation of the remarks of the Justice would have included copies of the Constitutions of South Africa and Canada, and the comment from the T censored for stupidity.

It's actually pretty wise advice from an international standpoint, looking at a twentieth century constitutional drafting process that was successful would be more helpful than an 18th century writing that verges on ancient history. She was talking about the process of drafting a constitution, not some other constitution being better.

I haven't studied South Africa's constitution but I do have to say I agree 100% with:

Let me say first that a constitution, as important as it is, will mean nothing unless the people are yearning for liberty and freedom. If the people don’t care, then the best constitution in the world won’t make any difference. So the spirit of liberty has to be in the population, and then the constitution – first, it should safeguard basic fundamental human rights, like our First Amendment, the right to speak freely, and to publish freely, without the government as a censor.

Man has only those rights which he can defend from government and himself. We were given the constitution as a tool to defend ourselves from government but only I can defend me from myself.

Self-destruction is a risk freedom allows you.

I would rather hear an evaluate an honest opinion than hear anymore demagoguery.

A fair evaluation of the remarks of the Justice would have included copies of the Constitutions of South Africa and Canada, and the comment from the T censored for stupidity.

Maybe you look for a better Constitution and Canada doesn't actually have a Constitution they have "CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS" Which are rights granted to individuals by the government Canadian and British, totally the opposite of our constitution

How very 'liberal' of you.... censoring speech you disagree with.

You may fuck off at your earliest convenience.

Sadly, Whiny C still labors under the misconception that his opinion is relevant.

You may fuck off at your earliest convenience.

Sadly, Whiny C still labors under the misconception that his opinion is relevant.
His opinion ceased being relevant over a year ago with me. I don't have him on ignore but ignore his tripe for the most part.

Somebody tell me how a constitution that limits and enumerates the powesr of the federal government can be outdated.That’s the problem with liberal judges they don’t like to be limited by some “outdated” Constitution:eusa_eh:

Did any of ya'll bother to listen to everything Justice Ginsberg had to say? You should...

Ginsburg spent most of the 18-minute interview spelling out all the ways the Egyptians could take inspiration from the United States' Constitution, from the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech and a free press to the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause that she, as a lawyer in the 1970s, convinced the court to expand to protect women's rights.

"We were just tremendously fortunate in the United States that the men who met in Philadelphia were very wise," Ginsburg said. "Now it is true that they were lacking one thing," she continued with a chuckle. "And that is that there were no women as part of the Constitutional Convention."

"It's a very inspiring time -- that you have overthrown a dictator and that you are striving to achieve a genuine democracy," Ginsburg told Al Hayat TV. "I think people in the United States are hoping that this transition will work and that it will genuinely be a government of, by and for the people."

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Talks Constitution, Women And Liberty On Egyptian TV

We all thank Henry Ford for his contributions and the Model T changed the world...but I'd still rather drive a Ferrari. Where do you think South Africa and Canada got the basis of their Constitution and Charter of Rights?

We can’t have any more Justices like this appointed which is another reason we have to get rid of Obama

Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Tells Egyptians: Look To The Constitutions of South Africa or Canada, Not To The U.S. Constitution…

Ruth-Bader-Ginsburg.jpg

I can’t speak about what the Egyptian experience should be, because I’m operating under a rather old constitution. The United States, in comparison to Egypt, is a very new nation, and yet we have the oldest written constitution still in force in the world.

You should certainly be aided by all the constitution-writing that has gone one since the end of World War II. I would not look to the US constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012. I might look at the constitution of South Africa. That was a deliberate attempt to have a fundamental instrument of government that embraced basic human rights, had an independent judiciary… It really is, I think, a great piece of work that was done. Much more recent than the US constitution – Canada has a Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It dates from 1982. You would almost certainly look at the European Convention on Human Rights. Yes, why not take advantage of what there is elsewhere in the world?

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Tells Egyptians: Look To The Constitutions of South Africa or Canada, Not To The U.S. Constitution…
You're fucking fired, you dried up old twat.

seriously, get that twit off the bench.

She all but said, everything after the First Amendment is garbage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuMXqcK4Nrg]SC Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ~ to Egypt: "I would not look to the US constitution" - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back