Judge Says Stevens Prosecution Worst He's Seen

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
WASHINGTON -- A federal judge criticized the government's handling of the Ted Stevens corruption trial Tuesday as he considered whether to dismiss the conviction that ended the longest-serving Republican's 40-year career in the U.S. Senate.

"In nearly 25 years on the bench, I've never seen anything approaching the mishandling and misconduct that I've seen in this case," U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan said in the opening moments of a hearing.

Sullivan read a stinging summary of the many times the government withheld evidence or mishandled witnesses in the case.

The judge said he has seen a troubling trend of prosecutors withholding evidence in cases against people ranging from Guantanamo Bay detainees to public officials such as Stevens. He called on judges nationwide to issue formal orders in all criminal cases requiring that prosecutors turn over evidence to defendants.

Judge Dismisses Charges Against Stevens, Orders Contempt Probe - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

I hope Stevens extracts every measure of justice from the DOJ that he can. I hope he sues for billions and billions and billion.. and each and every corrupt prosecuter should lose his job just the way Stevens lost his job. They should lose the license to practice law.

WASHINGTON -- A federal judge criticized the government's handling of the Ted Stevens corruption trial Tuesday as he considered whether to dismiss the conviction that ended the longest-serving Republican's 40-year career in the U.S. Senate.

"In nearly 25 years on the bench, I've never seen anything approaching the mishandling and misconduct that I've seen in this case," U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan said in the opening moments of a hearing.

Sullivan read a stinging summary of the many times the government withheld evidence or mishandled witnesses in the case.

The judge said he has seen a troubling trend of prosecutors withholding evidence in cases against people ranging from Guantanamo Bay detainees to public officials such as Stevens. He called on judges nationwide to issue formal orders in all criminal cases requiring that prosecutors turn over evidence to defendants.

Judge Dismisses Charges Against Stevens, Orders Contempt Probe - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

Ihope Stevens extracts every measure of justice from the DOJ that he can. I hope he sues for billions and billions and billion.. and each and every corrupt prosecuter should lose his job just the way Stevens lost his job. They should lose the license to practice law.

When I heard this story, I thought about how this fit in with the Leftist weltanschaung, you knoow, how the Bush Administration politicized the justice department.

I guess the Republican Justice Department forgot that Stevens was a Republican.

Or is this just another example of Dem "GOP Politics of Fear" propaganda exposed?

Ihope Stevens extracts every measure of justice from the DOJ that he can. I hope he sues for billions and billions and billion.. and each and every corrupt prosecuter should lose his job just the way Stevens lost his job. They should lose the license to practice law.

When I heard this story, I thought about how this fit in with the Leftist weltanschaung, you knoow, how the Bush Administration politicized the justice department.

Or is this just another example of Dem "GOP Politics of Fear" propaganda exposed?

I really don't give a crap this time about whether or not there is an (R) or a (D) involved. I'm pissed that this man's life was destroyed for whatever the reason and I want those responsible to pay with their very asses.

I really don't give a crap this time about whether or not there is an (R) or a (D) involved. I'm pissed that this man's life was destroyed for whatever the reason and I want those responsible to pay with their very asses.

Yea you don't care this time, because this time it was a Republican that got fucked.

Show me once you cared about this story:

The Bush administration insists that the United States attorney scandal is a non-scandal. But the Siegelman and Thompson cases are a reminder that when the power of the state to imprison people is put in the wrong hands, lives can be ruined and democracy can be threatened. Since the Justice Department refuses to appoint an independent prosecutor to examine whether these and other cases were politicized, Congress must provide the scrutiny.

The Strange Case of an Imprisoned Alabama Governor

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/opinion/10mon4.html

Show me one post from you last year caring about this. You can't, because you didn't.

Yea you don't care this time, because this time it was a Republican that got fucked.

The Bush administration insists that the United States attorney scandal is a non-scandal. But the Siegelman and Thompson cases are a reminder that when the power of the state to imprison people is put in the wrong hands, lives can be ruined and democracy can be threatened. Since the Justice Department refuses to appoint an independent prosecutor to examine whether these and other cases were politicized, Congress must provide the scrutiny.

Show me one post from you last year caring about this. You can't, because you didn't.

Here's the deal Sealybobblehead I DON'T GOTTA SHOW YOU JACK SHIT. I MOCK YOU LITTLE MAN :lol:

Here's the deal Sealybobblehead I DON'T GOTTA SHOW YOU JACK SHIT. I MOCK YOU LITTLE MAN :lol:

As long as people realize your outrage is bogus.

As long as people realize your outrage is bogus.

Yes, that's what is important after all innit? that people realize my outrage is bogus! yes little man!

Alaska has become quite divided and while the Feds certainly played a part in the Stevens case, they were likely given an ample assist by the Alaskan Democrat machine - as well as a number of corrupt Republicans as well. This is the same machine that is attempting to destroy Palin. She made serious enemies among both Democrats and Republicans in Alaska who are bought and paid by the oil industry.

Now don't devolve this thread into another tired anti-Palin rant please, as well as don't come in and post she is the greatest thing since Ronald Reagan because frankly, she is neither that great nor that bad.

What she has proven is to be an individual willing to take on the corruption that was, and likely remains, Alaskan politics, and for that, I commend her.

Whether she has the political fortitude to emerge from this challenge intact, remains to be seen, but the cost inflicted upon her by the inept McCain campaign has been considerable, and the Alaskan political sharks are smelling blood and coming in for the kill.

This debacle over the Stevens' case will likely help Palin, as it will send those corrupt political rats in Alaska scurrying for cover - if but temporarily.

do you have anything concrete like the steven's case? all you have are maybes and allegations....the judge tossed steven's case because of concrete proof, not mere allegations

I'm not a big Ted Stevens fan, in fact, I think he's the flip-side of Robert Byrd. Having said that, any prosecutorial misconduct needs to be investigated, rooted out and the guilty made examples of. It was true in the Duke Lacrosse case, if there is a case in AL, then it needs to be done there too.

Misconduct of this type undermines the justice system which has problems enough without help from unethical prosecutors.

IO -- That hasn't been my experience. Granted I haven't practiced in a while but most of the prosecutors I've dealt with have been on the level.

TE--
Sorry, I was referring to the special prosecutor function. I know many attorneys and I agree with you completely. I even think my 3 aunts were good attorneys.

Why would anyone be surprised that the government under Bush Clinton Bush Reagan be a failure? Did you all wake up yesterday from a twenty five year sleep? 'Government is the problem,' remember Reagan's famous words, so when you remove government or minimize its ability to regulate prosecute and do the business of government guess what. Notice it is the new administration that finally did something. You can't have it both ways, minimize government and it fails on both sides of all issues. We've - you should too - seen enough failures these past years to know Reagan's comment was wrong and his actions were wrong as were all those who followed and believed this fantasy.

"...Mr. Stevens was convicted on Oct. 27 on seven felony counts.

That victory was short-lived. Shortly after he was sworn in as attorney general on Feb. 3, Mr. Holder took the unusual step of removing the entire Stevens trial team from the case and replacing those lawyers with three new prosecutors. Last week, after discovering yet another instance of what the Justice Department concluded had been misconduct by the original prosecution team, Mr. Holder said he would seek to drop all charges."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/us/politics/07stevens.html

do you have anything concrete like the steven's case? all you have are maybes and allegations....the judge tossed steven's case because of concrete proof, not mere allegations
Gov. Siegelman's case of prosecutorial misconduct is even more obvious and egregious than what happened to Sen. Steven's. In my opinion, Steven's was guilty of his own misconduct - the evidence was clear and damning that he was taking favors (that were tantamount to bribes),
but the DoJ prosecutors mishandled the case, terribly.
It was as if they were total incompetents, or as if they were deliberately trying to botch the case.

It had to be dismissed. Holder, who worked in that same prosecution office of the DoJ, will also withdraw the case against Siegelman.

Alaska is better off with their new Senator. He is in the majority party, can accomplish things for the state more effectively.
Steven's was in office far too long, as have many other members of Congress.

TE--
Sorry, I was referring to the special prosecutor function. I know many attorneys and I agree with you completely. I even think my 3 aunts were good attorneys.

I think this is a slightly different example of the special prosecutor. It looks like Judge Sullivan appointed this SP, which is different from the Justice department's appointment that we are all familiar with. So we'll see. As a side note, I worked with Judge Sullivan's son for about 6 years. --small world.

Why would anyone be surprised that the government under Bush Clinton Bush Reagan be a failure? Did you all wake up yesterday from a twenty five year sleep? 'Government is the problem,' remember Reagan's famous words, so when you remove government or minimize its ability to regulate prosecute and do the business of government guess what. Notice it is the new administration that finally did something. You can't have it both ways, minimize government and it fails on both sides of all issues. We've - you should too - seen enough failures these past years to know Reagan's comment was wrong and his actions were wrong as were all those who followed and believed this fantasy.

"...Mr. Stevens was convicted on Oct. 27 on seven felony counts.

That victory was short-lived. Shortly after he was sworn in as attorney general on Feb. 3, Mr. Holder took the unusual step of removing the entire Stevens trial team from the case and replacing those lawyers with three new prosecutors. Last week, after discovering yet another instance of what the Justice Department concluded had been misconduct by the original prosecution team, Mr. Holder said he would seek to drop all charges."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/us/politics/07stevens.html

How does what you say relate to lawyers acting unethically?

We speak to former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman, currently free on bond while he appeals a conviction on corruption charges. Siegelman says he’s the target of a political witch hunt directed by former White House Deputy Karl Rove. More than sixty former state attorneys general have called for a congressional investigation into Siegelman’s case.

60 Minutes did an exposé on this case, that they interviewed the former attorney general, Republican attorney general, from Arizona who said that the Republicans couldn’t beat Siegelman fair and square, so they targeted him with this prosecution. I was investigated by Karl Rove’s client, the attorney general of Alabama. My opponent, Republican opponent’s campaign manager’s wife was the US attorney who brought me to trial one month before the election. It’s interesting to note that her husband is a political operative from New York, a Republican who was Bush’s special assistant, who—

AMY GOODMAN: Who is that?

DON SIEGELMAN: His name is Bill Canary. Canary has a long, long history in the Republican Party. He was chief of staff of the NRC. He was a deputy to Andrew Card. He was in charge of the ground troops in the Bush-Quayle campaign in ’92.

Democracy Now! | Freed from Jail, Fmr. Alabama Governor Don Siegelman Accuses Karl Rove of Orchestrating Political Witch Hunt

Forum List

Back