Judge Says Stevens Prosecution Worst He's Seen

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by WillowTree, Apr 7, 2009.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    WASHINGTON -- A federal judge criticized the government's handling of the Ted Stevens corruption trial Tuesday as he considered whether to dismiss the conviction that ended the longest-serving Republican's 40-year career in the U.S. Senate.

"In nearly 25 years on the bench, I've never seen anything approaching the mishandling and misconduct that I've seen in this case," U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan said in the opening moments of a hearing.

Sullivan read a stinging summary of the many times the government withheld evidence or mishandled witnesses in the case.

The judge said he has seen a troubling trend of prosecutors withholding evidence in cases against people ranging from Guantanamo Bay detainees to public officials such as Stevens. He called on judges nationwide to issue formal orders in all criminal cases requiring that prosecutors turn over evidence to defendants.

Judge Dismisses Charges Against Stevens, Orders Contempt Probe - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

I hope Stevens extracts every measure of justice from the DOJ that he can. I hope he sues for billions and billions and billion.. and each and every corrupt prosecuter should lose his job just the way Stevens lost his job. They should lose the license to practice law.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,070
    When I heard this story, I thought about how this fit in with the Leftist weltanschaung, you knoow, how the Bush Administration politicized the justice department.

I guess the Republican Justice Department forgot that Stevens was a Republican.

Or is this just another example of Dem "GOP Politics of Fear" propaganda exposed?

3. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Our justice system is a mess. At all levels, prosecutors are more interested in winning than in seeking truth.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769

I really don't give a crap this time about whether or not there is an (R) or a (D) involved. I'm pissed that this man's life was destroyed for whatever the reason and I want those responsible to pay with their very asses.

5. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,223
    Yea you don't care this time, because this time it was a Republican that got fucked.

Show me once you cared about this story:

The Bush administration insists that the United States attorney scandal is a non-scandal. But the Siegelman and Thompson cases are a reminder that when the power of the state to imprison people is put in the wrong hands, lives can be ruined and democracy can be threatened. Since the Justice Department refuses to appoint an independent prosecutor to examine whether these and other cases were politicized, Congress must provide the scrutiny.

The Strange Case of an Imprisoned Alabama Governor

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/opinion/10mon4.html

Show me one post from you last year caring about this. You can't, because you didn't.

6. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769

Here's the deal Sealybobblehead I DON'T GOTTA SHOW YOU JACK SHIT. I MOCK YOU LITTLE MAN :lol:

7. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,223
    As long as people realize your outrage is bogus.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    of course she doesn't. why should she care just because the man was prosecuted by the wife of the guy who ran his opponent's campaign?

9. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769

Yes, that's what is important after all innit? that people realize my outrage is bogus! yes little man!

10. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Alaska has become quite divided and while the Feds certainly played a part in the Stevens case, they were likely given an ample assist by the Alaskan Democrat machine - as well as a number of corrupt Republicans as well. This is the same machine that is attempting to destroy Palin. She made serious enemies among both Democrats and Republicans in Alaska who are bought and paid by the oil industry.

Now don't devolve this thread into another tired anti-Palin rant please, as well as don't come in and post she is the greatest thing since Ronald Reagan because frankly, she is neither that great nor that bad.

What she has proven is to be an individual willing to take on the corruption that was, and likely remains, Alaskan politics, and for that, I commend her.

Whether she has the political fortitude to emerge from this challenge intact, remains to be seen, but the cost inflicted upon her by the inept McCain campaign has been considerable, and the Alaskan political sharks are smelling blood and coming in for the kill.

This debacle over the Stevens' case will likely help Palin, as it will send those corrupt political rats in Alaska scurrying for cover - if but temporarily.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2