Judge Says Stevens Prosecution Worst He's Seen

Yea you don't care this time, because this time it was a Republican that got fucked.

Show me once you cared about this story:

The Bush administration insists that the United States attorney scandal is a non-scandal. But the Siegelman and Thompson cases are a reminder that when the power of the state to imprison people is put in the wrong hands, lives can be ruined and democracy can be threatened. Since the Justice Department refuses to appoint an independent prosecutor to examine whether these and other cases were politicized, Congress must provide the scrutiny.

The Strange Case of an Imprisoned Alabama Governor

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/opinion/10mon4.html

Show me one post from you last year caring about this. You can't, because you didn't.

do you have anything concrete like the steven's case? all you have are maybes and allegations....the judge tossed steven's case because of concrete proof, not mere allegations

We speak to former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman, currently free on bond while he appeals a conviction on corruption charges. Siegelman says he’s the target of a political witch hunt directed by former White House Deputy Karl Rove. More than sixty former state attorneys general have called for a congressional investigation into Siegelman’s case.

60 Minutes did an exposé on this case, that they interviewed the former attorney general, Republican attorney general, from Arizona who said that the Republicans couldn’t beat Siegelman fair and square, so they targeted him with this prosecution. I was investigated by Karl Rove’s client, the attorney general of Alabama. My opponent, Republican opponent’s campaign manager’s wife was the US attorney who brought me to trial one month before the election. It’s interesting to note that her husband is a political operative from New York, a Republican who was Bush’s special assistant, who—

AMY GOODMAN: Who is that?

DON SIEGELMAN: His name is Bill Canary. Canary has a long, long history in the Republican Party. He was chief of staff of the NRC. He was a deputy to Andrew Card. He was in charge of the ground troops in the Bush-Quayle campaign in ’92.

Democracy Now! | Freed from Jail, Fmr. Alabama Governor Don Siegelman Accuses Karl Rove of Orchestrating Political Witch Hunt

So, Sealy, are you saying you think this is what happened to Stevens too? The Democrats realized they couldn't beat him fairly so they targeted him for prosecution?

do you have anything concrete like the steven's case? all you have are maybes and allegations....the judge tossed steven's case because of concrete proof, not mere allegations

We speak to former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman, currently free on bond while he appeals a conviction on corruption charges. Siegelman says he’s the target of a political witch hunt directed by former White House Deputy Karl Rove. More than sixty former state attorneys general have called for a congressional investigation into Siegelman’s case.

60 Minutes did an exposé on this case, that they interviewed the former attorney general, Republican attorney general, from Arizona who said that the Republicans couldn’t beat Siegelman fair and square, so they targeted him with this prosecution. I was investigated by Karl Rove’s client, the attorney general of Alabama. My opponent, Republican opponent’s campaign manager’s wife was the US attorney who brought me to trial one month before the election. It’s interesting to note that her husband is a political operative from New York, a Republican who was Bush’s special assistant, who—

DON SIEGELMAN: His name is Bill Canary. Canary has a long, long history in the Republican Party. He was chief of staff of the NRC. He was a deputy to Andrew Card. He was in charge of the ground troops in the Bush-Quayle campaign in ’92.

Democracy Now! | Freed from Jail, Fmr. Alabama Governor Don Siegelman Accuses Karl Rove of Orchestrating Political Witch Hunt

So, Sealy, are you saying you think this is what happened to Stevens too? The Democrats realized they couldn't beat him fairly so they targeted him for prosecution?

That scenario would not surprise me in the least!

Weren't all the US Attorney's last year Bush appointees?

I doubt they would do that to such a loyal Republican.

Actually, the answer to your question is no, they were not all Repubs. Clinton fired all 93 US Attorneys when he took office, but W did not do that. He left most of them in place that wanted to stay. Eventually, he replaced 8 and that developed into the Justice Department scandal that cost Gonzales his job.

Whether the attorneys involved in this case were Republican or not, I couldn't say. But, since it looks like this involved attorney misconduct, I'd say these were not appointees, but staff attorneys in the Justice Dept. The Justice Dept. staff attorneys are by and large packed with Dems. That's why the Dems in Congress acted like someone set their collective ass on fire when they thought Gonzales was using a political litmus test in his hiring practices. They thought they might lose their hegemony over the Department :eek:

Yea you don't care this time, because this time it was a Republican that got fucked.

The Bush administration insists that the United States attorney scandal is a non-scandal. But the Siegelman and Thompson cases are a reminder that when the power of the state to imprison people is put in the wrong hands, lives can be ruined and democracy can be threatened. Since the Justice Department refuses to appoint an independent prosecutor to examine whether these and other cases were politicized, Congress must provide the scrutiny.

Show me one post from you last year caring about this. You can't, because you didn't.

kindly point out a single fact or judgment by a judge....

i said no opinions rather fact finding, like in stevens case

wasnt his conviction upheld on appeal?
why, yes, it was

another fail for bobo the moron

I guess you missed that a SPECIAL prosecutor was picked and assigned?

No they were not sir. There were only eight attorneys involved in last years affair. And most of them were being pulled because they were lousy managers not bad prosecutors.

No they were not sir. There were only eight attorneys involved in last years affair. And most of them were being pulled because they were lousy managers not bad prosecutors.
shhh

they cant handle the truth

So Alaska has 8 of the 90 something political appointments to Federal DA's?

First there are a hundred plus federal prosecutors. Bush didn't even come close to replacing all of the Clinton appointees. Sorry but Bush really did try to be Bipartisan during his first four years. America's party of the left was just to much in a snit to have any part of it.

So Alaska has 8 of the 90 something political appointments to Federal DA's?
hes talkin about the federal prosecutors being replaced
the one the stupid libs tried to make a big deal out of

First there are a hundred plus federal prosecutors. Bush didn't even come close to replacing all of the Clinton appointees. Sorry but Bush really did try to be Bipartisan during his first four years. America's party of the left was just to much in a snit to have any part of it.

There are NOT hundreds of APPOINTED DA's.

I guess you missed that a SPECIAL prosecutor was picked and assigned?

Who was it? I still bet that it was a Bush appointee that did this. I read the latest story and it did not give names.

I'm dying to know.

I wonder if Ted Stevens pissed Bush or the GOP off?

But regardless of who did this, first of all, we all know Ted Stevens was taking favors and bribes from those people who built his home. He never had any receipts, he never paid, etc.

Second of all, I think this is fucking hilarious. I care about this just as much as you guys cared about Don Siegelman, the Democrat in Alabama that this happened to.

Can any of you show me one post that proves you cared when this happened to a Democrat?

And seriously, who were these prosecutors?

And someone suggested this might be an old Clinton appointee? Without knowing myself for sure, I'm calling a big fat BULLSHIT!!! Especially after Bush fired all the good attorney's after the midterms.

Trust me, Bush cleaned house of all Clinton's appointees. Hell, Bush even replaced good Republican attorneys that weren't doing his political bidding.

To think otherwise would make you a conspiracy theorist. LOL.

The prosecutors are: the head of the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section, William Welch; the lead trial attorney, Brenda Morris; two trial attorneys in the Public Integrity Section, Nicholas Marsh and Edward Sullivan; and two assistant U.S. attorneys in Alaska, Joseph Bottini and James Goeke.

The prosecutors are: the head of the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section, William Welch; the lead trial attorney, Brenda Morris; two trial attorneys in the Public Integrity Section, Nicholas Marsh and Edward Sullivan; and two assistant U.S. attorneys in Alaska, Joseph Bottini and James Goeke.

Are these Bush appointees Truth? It has been a long time since I asked who the prosecutors are, and isn't it funny you were the only one to come forward to offer the info?

I'm guessing Willow went and looked, but she didn't reply because she didn't like what she found.

Just a hunch.

Hey, what do you think about this? http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwa...9/04/06/obama/

I don't like it.

Ok, I'm having a hard time figuring out if William Welch is a Bush appointee or not.

I was able to find out he might be a registered Democrat, but I say BFD to that. Anyone can register as a Democrat. That doesn't make it so.

If Bush appointed him, he's a spy.

I found this:

Welch, a registered Democrat, served in the Springfield U.S. Attorney's office from 1995 to 2006, where he built a reputation as a brainy, unrelenting prosecutor.

Brenda Morris seems like a Bush appointee too.

I'm sure if these people were Democrats, willow would be all over this.

Actually, the answer to your question is no, they were not all Repubs. Clinton fired all 93 US Attorneys when he took office, but W did not do that. He left most of them in place that wanted to stay. Eventually, he replaced 8 and that developed into the Justice Department scandal that cost Gonzales his job.

Whether the attorneys involved in this case were Republican or not, I couldn't say. But, since it looks like this involved attorney misconduct, I'd say these were not appointees, but staff attorneys in the Justice Dept. The Justice Dept. staff attorneys are by and large packed with Dems. That's why the Dems in Congress acted like someone set their collective ass on fire when they thought Gonzales was using a political litmus test in his hiring practices. They thought they might lose their hegemony over the Department :eek:
It took me a total of 1 minute to find several articles to describe the Bush administration's turnover of 88 of the 93 US Attorneys by April 2001. Here - the Bush AG John Ashcroft's own press release.

#107: 03-14-01 WHITE HOUSE AND JUSTICE DEPARTMENT BEGIN U.S. ATTORNEY TRANSITION

Q: Why would an honest person casually toss out an easily refutable lie in their attempt to make a fallacious point in an argument ?

A: Honest people don't do that.

They, as our president said a couple weeks ago "like to know what they are talking about before they speak".
Its a good habit to adhere to. People won't discount and disbelieve your every word.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200903130012

From Savage's March 23, 2007, Times article:

In a March 4 memo titled "Draft Talking Points," Justice Department spokeswoman Tasia Scolinos asked, "The [White House] is under the impression that we did not remove all the Clinton [U.S. attorneys] in 2001 like he did when he took office. Is that true?"

That is mostly true, replied D. Kyle Sampson, then chief of staff to Atty. Gen. Alberto R. Gonzales. "Clinton fired all Bush [U.S. attorneys] in one fell swoop. We fired all Clinton [U.S. attorneys] but staggered it out more and permitted some to stay on a few months," he said.

A few minutes later, Deputy Atty. Gen. Paul J. McNulty replied to the same memo.

"On the issue of Clinton [U.S. attorneys], we called each one and had them give us a timeframe. Most were gone by late April. In contrast, Clinton [Justice Department] told all but a dozen in early March to be gone immediately," McNulty said.

The difference appears minor. Both McNulty and Sampson acknowledged that the Bush administration, like the Clinton administration, brought in a new slate of U.S. attorneys within a few months of taking office.

Not true. Refer to the facts, if you are able.

Forum List

Back