Johnson & Johnson is getting rid of its script logo after more than 130 years

I learned cursive in third grade.
My penmanship was not that bad but was not very neat.

By sixth grade, I reverted to block letters. I had very neat writing in block letters and teachers liked it better

Never used cursive again except my signature and even that became more illegible

I learned cursive in third grade.
My penmanship was not that bad but was not very neat.

By sixth grade, I reverted to block letters. I had very neat writing in block letters and teachers liked it better

Never used cursive again except my signature and even that became more illegible

Same. I started printing in middle school and never went back.

Seems to me you just want to trample all over our venerated traditions and observances. ;)

Ha! I give you the cursive Q. I mean....

1694952040367.png

Reading cursive is not like reading a foreign language, esp not one as foreign as Hebrew, where they read right to left.

We just don't need to spend more than a couple weeks on cursive anymore. Honestly, the cursive debate is a picture-perfect analogy of why schools can't win. We are told all the time to focus on the three R's...but also, please make my child fluent in this longform handwriting no one reads or writes anymore. Just because, I don't know, it makes me feel good?
That's your opinion. But I'm pretty darn sure learning how to write cursive is not why schools are failing.

Reading cursive is not like reading a foreign language, esp not one as foreign as Hebrew, where they read right to left.

We just don't need to spend more than a couple weeks on cursive anymore. Honestly, the cursive debate is a picture-perfect analogy of why schools can't win. We are told all the time to focus on the three R's...but also, please make my child fluent in this longform handwriting no one reads or writes anymore. Just because, I don't know, it makes me feel good?

Why cursive writing is good for the brain?

Not only is cursive good for speed of writing, but it also is shown to improve brain development in the areas of thinking, language and working memory. Cursive handwriting stimulates brain synapses and synchronicity between the left and right hemispheres, something absent from printing and typing.Mar 31, 2021

Why cursive writing is good for the brain?

Not only is cursive good for speed of writing, but it also is shown to improve brain development in the areas of thinking, language and working memory. Cursive handwriting stimulates brain synapses and synchronicity between the left and right hemispheres, something absent from printing and typing.Mar 31, 2021

Nobody learns to write in shorthand either

1694986895407.png

probably how it went...

1) Spend $75,000 on a Marketing firm to "design" new logo.
2) After 3 months and 30 examples...
They went with the original color. And chose Arial, pretty much the most popular font on the planet.

I would have gone with Comic Sans MS...

So. Should we never have moved on from Old English? Which is basically unreadable these days?

Do you just want kids to learn this because you did?
Where I work, we've had kids (early 20s):who can't read a clock.
Mainstays-Basic-Indoor-8-78-Black-Analog-Round-Modern-Wall-Clock_f8cbe712-d9f8-4ac8-af5c-b635...jpeg

And you see nothing wrong.

I posted studies about the benefits of learning cursive. It really ain't hard. I remember learning cursive. I could pretty much read it without "training "

I want kids to be able to read and write a very common script. Like I said, I could see the letter and pretty much read it before I was taught to wright it. It trains the brain. And it ain't hard

Yet here you are. Arguing for the dumbing down of a generation.

Last edited:
No. But when they can't read, write or do math--for many reasons--why take time to learn a dying writing style?
In my opinion it should not be a dying writing style. I would far rather see children learning that--it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to learn--rather than spending time on total crap like CRT or sexually explicit gender studies. Even in a high tech world, there is room for pencil and paper and everybody should know how to write coherently.

Where I work, we've had kids (early 20s):who can't read a clock.

And you see nothing wrong.

I posted studies about the benefits of learning cursive. It really ain't hard. I remember learning cursive. I could pretty much read it without "training "

Yet here you are. Arguing for the dumbing down of a generation.
I was conversing with five 30 somethings recently and not one of them could tell time from an analog clock.

Forum List

Back