Johnson & Johnson is getting rid of its script logo after more than 130 years

Many children no longer learn to write cursive in school, noted marketing consultant Laura Ries. People may recognize the signature, but they weren’t necessarily reading it, she said. The new logo, she said, is easier to process.

"Unintelligible" ol-timey squiggles based on founder James Wood Johnson's signature:

cursive_jpg-2953727.JPG

Dumbed down logo for today's yutes:

new2_jpg-2953742.JPG

The joke is on them, oldsters can use use it for secret communiques in the nursing home when time comes. ;)

Gee, what else is written in cursive that kids won't be able to read?
My adult son has never mastered cursive and he is a productive member of society. I don't remember that last time I wrote something in cursive.

When I want to freak out a youngster I show them the (working) rotary phone we have. They have no clue.

They can obviously just read a typed out transcript of it

Which is how 99% of people who’ve read it did

No, no no no! If you don't read the Declaration in cursive it doesn't count! Kinda like if you don't read the Bible in the KJV or Shakespeare in the original Elizabethan English that also doesn't count!

Oh, wait......

You are/were a teacher....Do they still teach cursive?
I didn’t get the point of cursive even back when I was a kid in school.

There was no reason for it then, beyond being able to decipher your grandma’s handwritten letters. Even less point today.

Writing in print was easier to read and easier to write. Isn’t the whole point clarity?

Many children no longer learn to write cursive in school, noted marketing consultant Laura Ries. People may recognize the signature, but they weren’t necessarily reading it, she said. The new logo, she said, is easier to process.

"Unintelligible" ol-timey squiggles based on founder James Wood Johnson's signature:

cursive_jpg-2953727.JPG

Dumbed down logo for today's yutes:

new2_jpg-2953742.JPG

The joke is on them, oldsters can use use it for secret communiques in the nursing home when time comes. ;)

Gee, what else is written in cursive that kids won't be able to read?

041919-36-History-Bill-Of-Rights-Constitution.jpg
Public schools stopped teaching cursive--actually stopped teaching writing much at all--around 2010 in the Obama era application of common core. It was considered as unnecessary as teaching kids to use slide rules or manual typewriters.

I don't believe the intention was to keep them from reading the Constitution and/or Declaration as most read that in printed form anyway. But there could be a time when nobody is able to read it if nobody knows how to read cursive writing. Then we'll be dependent on those few people who become experts in that just as we depend on a few experts to tell us what the Hebrew bible written in ancient Hebrew says.

It is unfortunate that so many people will be able to read letters or other writings left behind by their parents, grandparents, etc. And in my opinion writing cursive is far faster than printing and I don't see a time that the written word via pen/pencil on paper ever becomes completely irrelevant. Hell I still use a bit of shorthand I learned in high school when I take notes.

I don't believe the intention was to keep them from reading the Constitution and/or Declaration as most read that in printed form anyway. But there could be a time when nobody is able to read it if nobody knows how to read cursive writing. Then we'll be dependent on those few people who become experts in that just as we depend on a few experts to tell us what the Hebrew bible written in ancient Hebrew says.
Short of a nuclear or zombie apocalypse type collapse of society, we will always retain the ability to read the original handwritten constitution.

Short of a nuclear or zombie apocalypse type collapse of society, we will always retain the ability to read the original handwritten constitution.
If by 'we' you mean you and me, yes we won't lose our ability to read and write cursive. But my granddaughter is the last generation to have opportunity to learn to read and write it in the public schools. Those who will never be taught it won't be able to read it.-

If by 'we' you mean you and me, yes we won't lose our ability to read and write cursive. But my granddaughter is the last generation to have opportunity to learn to read and write it in the public schools. Those who will never be taught it won't be able to read it.-
Right.

But unless I misunderstood, you seemed to be implying this posed a danger in the sense that the meaning of the constitution will be lost or subverted or something. The millions and millions of print transcripts, both physical and digital, will remain.

Plus, like you said, there will always be some scholars who will retain the ability to read cursive. It’s not like they’ll have unreasonable power to change the constitution. The types out constitutions cannot be changed and will remain readable to the general population

Right.

But unless I misunderstood, you seemed to be implying this posed a danger in the sense that the meaning of the constitution will be lost or subverted or something. The millions and millions of print transcripts, both physical and digital, will remain.

Plus, like you said, there will always be some scholars who will retain the ability to read cursive. It’s not like they’ll have unreasonable power to change the constitution. The types out constitutions cannot be changed and will remain readable to the general population
Those who have abilities that others do not can twist, change or compromise the original writings. There are myriad interpretations/translations of the ancient Hebrew into other languages for instance. And those who cannot read the ancient Hebrew which was one of the earliest forms of written language in existence, are at the mercy of the translators for the content of those writings. (Not that the ability to read Hebrew is in itself foolproof as, without capital letters, punctuation, word/paragraph breaks, it is extremely difficult to always know what the original scribe intended.)

We are already seeing distortions/omissions etc. of the actual history now appearing in school textbooks even as the Marxists are working to make it more difficult to obtain the original histories, literature, writers of other times. It also happens in science, medicine, and in many other theories.

I am not saying all or most 'experts' intend or will change/distort anything but when they hold all the power, they can.

It is a good thing to be able to read for yourself the original words of something like the Constitution of the United States so that there is less chance of being deceived about what is written there.

Last edited:
For about two weeks or so. To placate older people, mostly. It's quickly becoming obsolete. And so what?

Sometimes conservatives think we need to conserve everything. We don't. Last week's dinner is now either trash or poop. Let it go.

(I said what I said!)
I just asked if they still taught cursive....Don't care about your poop.....Though I understand some people are into that.

Those who have abilities that others do not can twist, change or compromise the original writings. There are myriad interpretations/translations of the ancient Hebrew into other languages for instance. And those who cannot read the ancient Hebrew which was one of the earliest forms of written language in existence, are at the mercy of the translators for the content of those writings. (Not that the ability to read Hebrew is in itself foolproof as, without capital letters, punctuation, word/paragraph breaks, it is extremely difficult to always know what the original scribe intended.)

We are already seeing distortions/omissions etc. of the actual history now appearing in school textbooks even as the Marxists are working to make it more difficult to obtain the original histories, literature, writers of other times. It also happens in science, medicine, and in many other theories.

I am not saying all or most 'experts' intend or will change/distort anything but when they hold all the power, they can.

It is a good thing to be able to read for yourself the original words of something like the Constitution of the United States so that there is less chance of being deceived about what is written there.

Reading cursive is not like reading a foreign language, esp not one as foreign as Hebrew, where they read right to left.

We just don't need to spend more than a couple weeks on cursive anymore. Honestly, the cursive debate is a picture-perfect analogy of why schools can't win. We are told all the time to focus on the three R's...but also, please make my child fluent in this longform handwriting no one reads or writes anymore. Just because, I don't know, it makes me feel good?

I just asked if they still taught cursive....Don't care about your poop.....Though I understand some people are into that.

And I made a great case for why we don't spend more than a couple weeks on cursive, and also, why conservatives shouldn't attempt to conserve everything.

Right.

That's why being fluent in cursive should be reserved for historians at this point. Not third graders. Geez, fellow conservative have a meltdown if third graders don't know about the Revolutionary war, but want them learning about the weird Q in cursive I guess. I don't know. So strange.

That's why being fluent in cursive should be reserved for historians at this point. Not third graders. Geez, fellow conservative have a meltdown if third graders don't know about the Revolutionary war, but want them learning about the weird Q in cursive I guess. I don't know. So strange.
If needed or desired, it is something an adult could quickly master

Forum List

Back