Johnson & Johnson is getting rid of its script logo after more than 130 years

I disagree. I can keyboard over 100 wpm and do most business and communications on the computer. I am pretty proficient using a smart phone and other electronic devices.
Not you "can," you have to.

And I still think it important that people be able to read writing from the past in its original form instead of having to rely on others to represent that accurately and honestly.

Then go read The Canterbury Tales in its original form. Good luck.

Then go read The Canterbury Tales in its original form. Good luck.
Actually I have read some of The Canterbury Tales in its original form. It isn't completely unreadable though many words then have fallen out of common usage just as much our our language will no doubt have greatly changed by the . English has changed a lot over the centuries but not so much it has become completely unrecognizable. In fact I once wrote a research paper on how 14th Century English evolved into 20th Century English and used Chaucer to partly illustrate it.

1695064935534.png

But while understanding 14th Century English, or more precisely translated 14th Century English literature can expand a person's education, it is not critical to an American student's understanding of his/her history, heritage, and protected liberties. And the student should not be totally dependent on learning this from somebody who will interpret or characterize that in a way other than what it actually was.

Many children no longer learn to write cursive in school, noted marketing consultant Laura Ries. People may recognize the signature, but they weren’t necessarily reading it, she said. The new logo, she said, is easier to process.

"Unintelligible" ol-timey squiggles based on founder James Wood Johnson's signature:

cursive_jpg-2953727.JPG

Dumbed down logo for today's yutes:

new2_jpg-2953742.JPG

The joke is on them, oldsters can use use it for secret communiques in the nursing home when time comes. ;)

Gee, what else is written in cursive that kids won't be able to read?

041919-36-History-Bill-Of-Rights-Constitution.jpg
The Constitution is NOT written in cursive. Look closer.

And that should change too. It should be so socially unacceptable to poorly parent children that it is only the very worse sort who do. Children should not be left with parents who cannot or will not feed them, provide them with basic necessities and those basic skills that parents traditionally have always taught their children, who will not set and enforce necessary rules. I'm not talking about parents going through a temporary bad patch but parents who are chronically unfit and unwilling to provide for and protect their children.

Toilet training was mandatory for first graders when I was in school.

And I still think teaching kids cursive is a good idea.
You have the right to be wrong.

I disagree. I can keyboard over 100 wpm and do most business and communications on the computer. I am pretty proficient using a smart phone and other electronic devices.

But I still have lots of opportunities and needs to write something down and doing it via cursive is a LOT faster than punching it into my phone. I can write cursive almost twice as fast as I can print. (I've timed it.)

And I still think it important that people be able to read writing from the past in its original form instead of having to rely on others to represent that accurately and honestly.

Your printing speed must really suck. In the Navy, I learned to write mirror images of print letters from right to left to maintain status board. I am certain they do not do that anymore.

Correct. Ever tried reading a student's paper in cursive? It's damned difficult.
Yes, I have read many. And when the handwriting is unusually bad, it can be difficult. But that's the way it was done before students were allowed to use typewriters and eventually word processors/computers. But in public school we were often graded on penmanship as much as spelling, punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, you know that problematic syntax, split infinitives and dangled participles and all that. I doubt students can diagram sentences anymore and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. :)

Even in college I was given an inexpensive portable manual typewriter that I used to write most of my papers. But many of my classmates still wrote their papers out in longhand. They were no longer graded on penmanship though unless the paper was completely unreadable. (I did make a few bucks typing papers for a few other students who provided me their written manuscripts. In cursive. I charged 10 cents a typed page with guaranteed zero mistakes.)

(When I was able to upgrade to an electric typewriter I was in heaven! I can't imagine how productive I might have been with my modern day PC and printer.)

I am not saying kids should necessarily be writing their themes etc. in cursive. I'm just saying they should know how to read and write in cursive.

Last edited:
And that should change too. It should be so socially unacceptable to poorly parent children that it is only the very worse sort who do. Children should not be left with parents who cannot or will not feed them, provide them with basic necessities and those basic skills that parents traditionally have always taught their children, who will not set and enforce necessary rules. I'm not talking about parents going through a temporary bad patch but parents who are chronically unfit and unwilling to provide for and protect their children.

Toilet training was mandatory for first graders when I was in school.

And I still think teaching kids cursive is a good idea.

Nothing is mandatory anymore. If you are of age, we must take you.

Forum List

Back