Johnson & Johnson is getting rid of its script logo after more than 130 years

Do they know Roman Numerals?
Mainstays-Basic-Indoor-8-78-Black-Analog-Round-Modern-Wall-Clock_f8cbe712-d9f8-4ac8-af5c-b635...jpeg

Where I work, we've had kids (early 20s):who can't read a clock.
View attachment 830656

And you see nothing wrong.

I posted studies about the benefits of learning cursive. It really ain't hard. I remember learning cursive. I could pretty much read it without "training "

I want kids to be able to read and write a very common script. Like I said, I could see the letter and pretty much read it before I was taught to wright it. It trains the brain. And it ain't hard

Yet here you are. Arguing for the dumbing down of a generation.

Juggling helps the brain. Should we take three weeks out of school time to teach every kid how to juggle?

Ride a bike?

Skateboard?

In my opinion it should not be a dying writing style. I would far rather see children learning that--it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to learn--rather than spending time on total crap like CRT or sexually explicit gender studies. Even in a high tech world, there is room for pencil and paper and everybody should know how to write coherently.

Why should children have to learn both print and cursive when essentially no one under the age of 55 writes in cursive anymore?

Seriously.

Why should children have to learn both print and cursive when essentially no one under the age of 55 writes in cursive anymore?

Seriously.
Because it is the most efficient means of written communication at those times there is no alternative. Because citizens need to be able to read historical documents and words themselves and not rely on sometimes less than honest others tell them what they say. So that children can read the diaries and letters and other written documents of their parents, grandparents, etc.

Because it is the most efficient means of written communication at those times there is no alternative. Because citizens need to be able to read historical documents and words themselves and not rely on sometimes less than honest others tell them what they say. So that children can read the diaries and letters and other written documents of their parents, grandparents, etc.

Teaching proficient or even decent readers to read in cursive could take place in a few days' time. I agree with that. And we should end it there. Honest to goodness, my fellow conservatives bang on and on about kids not being able to read or write, or do math, or tell time, or I don't know, change a tire. But by golly they better learn cursive cause I did.

Teaching proficient or even decent readers to read in cursive could take place in a few days' time. I agree with that. And we should end it there. Honest to goodness, my fellow conservatives bang on and on about kids not being able to read or write, or do math, or tell time, or I don't know, change a tire. But by golly they better learn cursive cause I did.
There is no reason that kids can't learn reading, writing, arithmetic, history, geography, science, civics etc. and learn how to change a tire and also learn cursive. I did.

There is no reason that kids can't learn reading, writing, arithmetic, history, geography, science, civics etc. and learn how to change a tire and also learn cursive. I did.

You also did not have to learn keyboarding and computer skills.

You also did not have to learn keyboarding and computer skills.
No computers were still in their infancy when I was in school. But I had time to learn all the core subjects necessary or useful for college plus take home-ec, art, band/chorus, typing, shorthand and bookkeeping all which proved invaluable for me over my lifetime. And I made the National Honor Society. And I could write very well in cursive. I was not unique among my classmates.

When schools don't waste so much time doing indoctrination and social engineering of kids, you can get a lot of honest education into them in a relatively short amount of time.

One of my great nephews was homeschooled his entire life. His folks enrolled him in public high school for the advantages that would offer, but within two weeks he was begging to go back to home schooling. They waste so much time he said and they are so far behind. He finished his high school courses at home and then graduated college with honors in four years. (And he writes beautifully in cursive.)

Last edited:
No computers were still in their infancy when I was in school. But I had time to learn all the core subjects necessary or useful for college plus take home-ec, art, band/chorus, typing, shorthand and bookkeeping all which proved invaluable for me over my lifetime. And I made the National Honor Society. And I could write very well in cursive. I was not unique among my classmates.

When schools don't waste so much time doing indoctrination and social engineering of kids, you can get a lot of honest education into them in a relatively short amount of time.

One of my great nephews was homeschooled his entire life. His folks enrolled him in public high school for the advantages that would offer, but within two weeks he was begging to go back to home schooling. They waste so much time he said and they are so far behind. He finished his high school courses at home and then graduated college with honors in four years. (And he writes beautifully in cursive.)

We don't waste time on "indoctrination" and "social engineering". We "waste time" raising children that parents do not raise. For instance, in toilet training kindergarteners who come to school in pull ups, with no physical problems, just lazy parents.

In teaching children basic social skills, without which a classroom is complete chaos.

We don't waste time on "indoctrination" and "social engineering". We "waste time" raising children that parents do not raise. For instance, in toilet training kindergarteners who come to school in pull ups, with no physical problems, just lazy parents.

In teaching children basic social skills, without which a classroom is complete chaos.
And that should change too. It should be so socially unacceptable to poorly parent children that it is only the very worse sort who do. Children should not be left with parents who cannot or will not feed them, provide them with basic necessities and those basic skills that parents traditionally have always taught their children, who will not set and enforce necessary rules. I'm not talking about parents going through a temporary bad patch but parents who are chronically unfit and unwilling to provide for and protect their children.

Toilet training was mandatory for first graders when I was in school.

And I still think teaching kids cursive is a good idea.

I'm not sure if anyone ever told you, but there is only so much time in a day.
The same amount of time that there has ever been. It takes very little time to teach children cursive writing. I managed to learn it, write it, take pride in my handwriting while getting all the core subjects necessary and helpful for college plus taking typing, shorthand, bookkeeping, art, music, participating in band and chorus and sports. As did most of my classmates.

To not teach cursive disadvantages children in my opinion.

You are entitled to your own opinion.

To not teach cursive disadvantages children in my opinion.

What nonsense. If a student goes on to college and tries to submit a hand-written research paper, the professor will laugh in their face. If a sales associate brings a hand-written presentation to an important client meeting, he will be out of a job by noon. Aside from writing birthday cards to grandma, there is no use for it.

What nonsense. If a student goes on to college and tries to submit a hand-written research paper, the professor will laugh in their face. If a sales associate brings a hand-written presentation to an important client meeting, he will be out of a job by noon. Aside from writing birthday cards to grandma, there is no use for it.
I disagree. I can keyboard over 100 wpm and do most business and communications on the computer. I am pretty proficient using a smart phone and other electronic devices.

But I still have lots of opportunities and needs to write something down and doing it via cursive is a LOT faster than punching it into my phone. I can write cursive almost twice as fast as I can print. (I've timed it.)

And I still think it important that people be able to read writing from the past in its original form instead of having to rely on others to represent that accurately and honestly.

Forum List

Back