Joe Mauer: AL MVP

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Just heard the news on KTLK-FM.

tumblr_ksbjtkF2fX1qa4exno1_500.jpg

I guess NL is announced tomorrow.

Looks like a toss-up between Fielder and Pujols. Both their numbers are pretty similar, with Pujols having a higher average and OBP. Both have good gloves.

I'm almost inclined to think Fielder wins just because it was close enough that it was worth picking someone other than Pujols for once. But then again, it was obvious at ballot time that St. Louis was going to be in the post season and Milwaukee wasn't.

Pujols probably gets another one :rolleyes:

I can't wait til he's outed on the juice.

I guess NL is announced tomorrow.

Looks like a toss-up between Fielder and Pujols. Both their numbers are pretty similar, with Pujols having a higher average and OBP. Both have good gloves.

I'm almost inclined to think Fielder wins just because it was close enough that it was worth picking someone other than Pujols for once. But then again, it was obvious at ballot time that St. Louis was going to be in the post season and Milwaukee wasn't.

Pujols probably gets another one :rolleyes:

I can't wait til he's outed on the juice.
"Looks like a toss-up between Fielder and Pujols"

Judging from this statement, you are either a Brewers fan, or someone who doesn't watch much baseball.

Albert Pujols IS the MVP of the NL. It's a slam-dunk, easy choice.

Albert Pujols 2009: 124 R ... 47 HR ... 135 RBI ... 16 SB ... 115 BB ... .327 BA ... .443 OBP ... .658 SLG ... 1.101 OPS ... 2009 St. Louis Cardinals 91-71, 1st place in NL Central

Prince Fielder 2009: 103 R ... 46 HR ... 141 RBI ... 2 SB ... 110 BB ... .299 BA ... .412 OBP ... .602 SLG ... 1.014 OPS ... 2009 Milwaukee Brewers 80-82, 3rd place in NL Central

"Both have good gloves."

No, that's really NOT the case. Pujols has a GOOD glove. Fielder has a mediocre glove.

Fielder had a great 2009 season. But Pujols was better!

"I'm almost inclined to think Fielder wins just because it was close enough that it was worth picking someone other than Pujols for once."

Yeah, because we should start voting accolades to players, just because we are tired of one player being dominant. Yeah, that makes sense! Every MVP award Pujols has won, he's deserved.

"I can't wait til he's outed on the juice."

Sure, Pujols probably has done/is on, some kind of performance enhancing drug. But so are most of the players in major league baseball. As a baseball fan, it's something you have to come to terms with. Performance enhancing drugs and baseball, go hand-in-hand!

Slam dunk easy choice???

Those numbers you show are almost identical except for Fielder's lower average and OBP, which I mentioned. And Pujols had more steals. WOW.

As far as glove, Fielder's percentage this past season actually beat Pujols by .003, Fielder's glove has gotten much better. He had 7 errors all year, compared to Pujols' 13. But it's ME who doesn't watch much baseball??? :lol:

Sorry buddy, but this year Pujols is not as much of a lock as he has been in years past. The numbers are close enough that I would be willing to consider Fielder if I was a writer with a vote. The only thing Pujols had going for him over Fielder that would make the vote go his way was what I also mentioned, that St. Louis was already figured to be making the playoffs and Milwaukee wasn't. To me, that's more valuable than the individual numbers. And like I said, it would probably go to Pujols because of that fact alone. Even with Fielder, the Brewers don't make the playoffs. But without Pujols, the Cardinals definitely don't.

Funny how you admit he's probably juicing, but somehow still 'deserves' the award though.

Slam dunk easy choice???

Those numbers you show are almost identical except for Fielder's lower average and OBP, which I mentioned. And Pujols had more steals. WOW.

As far as glove, Fielder's percentage this past season actually beat Pujols by .003, Fielder's glove has gotten much better. He had 7 errors all year, compared to Pujols' 13. But it's ME who doesn't watch much baseball??? :lol:

Sorry buddy, but this year Pujols is not as much of a lock as he has been in years past. The numbers are close enough that I would be willing to consider Fielder if I was a writer with a vote. The only thing Pujols had going for him over Fielder that would make the vote go his way was what I also mentioned, that St. Louis was already figured to be making the playoffs and Milwaukee wasn't. To me, that's more valuable than the individual numbers. And like I said, it would probably go to Pujols because of that fact alone. Even with Fielder, the Brewers don't make the playoffs. But without Pujols, the Cardinals definitely don't.

Funny how you admit he's probably juicing, but somehow still 'deserves' the award though.
"Those numbers you show are almost identical except for Fielder's lower average and OBP, which I mentioned. And Pujols had more steals. WOW."

Your argument would be valid if it was just one or two categories in which Pujols had better numbers than Fielder in. But the reality is, Pujols has better numbers than Fielder in EVERY category, except RBI's, for which Fielder has 6 more than Pujols.

Oh, and I almost forgot...

Pujols team = 1st place, and made the playoffs

Fielder's team= losing record

Like I said, Albert Pujols IS the MVP of the NL. It's a SLAM-DUNK!

"As far as glove, Fielder's percentage this past season actually beat Pujols by .003, Fielder's glove has gotten much better. He had 7 errors all year, compared to Pujols' 13. But it's ME who doesn't watch much baseball???"

Wanna spot the out of touch baseball fan in the room? He's the guy who thinks that fielding percentage, and the amount of errors a player has, distinguishes his defensive ability, LOL. Pujols is a much better defensive 1st baseman than Fielder. Even after Fielder's good UZR numbers. Come on man, get it together!

"Funny how you admit he's probably juicing, but somehow still 'deserves' the award though"

Although he hasn't been caught yet, I feel like Pujols has done some sort of performance enhancing drug. But so what? Fielder has probably done them too. Players like Fielder, Bonds, Helton, Utley, Tejada, Pujols, ARod,.... I can keep going all day, have all probably done some sort of performance enhancing drug. The majority of players in baseball have done it. Pitchers, hitters, it doesn't matter. It's a game where people have been breaking the rules for over 100 years.

Slam dunk easy choice???

"Those numbers you show are almost identical except for Fielder's lower average and OBP, which I mentioned. And Pujols had more steals. WOW."

Your argument would be valid if it was just one or two categories in which Pujols had better numbers than Fielder in. But the reality is, Pujols has better numbers than Fielder in EVERY category, except RBI's, for which Fielder has 6 more than Pujols.

"As far as glove, Fielder's percentage this past season actually beat Pujols by .003, Fielder's glove has gotten much better. He had 7 errors all year, compared to Pujols' 13. But it's ME who doesn't watch much baseball???"

Wanna spot the out of touch baseball fan in the room? He's the guy who thinks that fielding percentage, and the amount of errors a player has, distinguishes his defensive ability, LOL. Pujols is a much better defensive 1st baseman than Fielder. Even after Fielder's good UZR numbers. Come on man, get it together!

"Funny how you admit he's probably juicing, but somehow still 'deserves' the award though"

Although he hasn't been caught yet, I feel like Pujols has done some sort of performance enhancing drug. But so what? Fielder has probably done them too. Players like Fielder, Bonds, Helton, Utley, Tejada, Pujols, ARod,.... I can keep going all day, have all probably done some sort of performance enhancing drug. The majority of players in baseball have done it. Pitchers, hitters, it doesn't matter. It's a game where people have been breaking the rules for over 100 years.
2 posts in here so far for you, and 2 posts where you've parroted something I already said. I've said TWICE so far that Pujols would probably get it because the Cardinals were a lock for the playoffs. WTF?

And since when does fielding percentage and error total not distinguish a player's defensive ability??? Fielder stepped up his defense HUGE this year. But he doesn't have the body-type of most other 1st basemen so he can't move around with as much agility. For his size he played a damn good 1st base this year. If you want to take that away from him, be my guest. I simply don't agree.

Worth mentioning is that Fielder's UZR was better than Tex's this year, and Tex has never been accused of having a bad glove. Food for thought, my man.

Slam dunk easy choice???

2 posts in here so far for you, and 2 posts where you've parroted something I already said. I've said TWICE so far that Pujols would probably get it because the Cardinals were a lock for the playoffs. WTF?

And since when does fielding percentage and error total not distinguish a player's defensive ability??? Fielder stepped up his defense HUGE this year. But he doesn't have the body-type of most other 1st basemen so he can't move around with as much agility. For his size he played a damn good 1st base this year. If you want to take that away from him, be my guest. I simply don't agree.

Worth mentioning is that Fielder's UZR was better than Tex's this year, and Tex has never been accused of having a bad glove. Food for thought, my man.
I love how you've already bailed on the fact that you said it was a "toss-up" between Pujols and Fielder for the NL MVP, LOL.

Pujols wins the NL MVP, by a UNANIMOUS vote. IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE!

Oh, and Prince Fielder finished FOURTH in the MVP voting, LOL!

I'm guessing that's the last we hear from you!

I love how you've already bailed on the fact that you said it was a "toss-up" between Pujols and Fielder for the NL MVP, LOL.

I bailed on nothing, newbie.

Go back and read my first fucking post you idiot. The tone of my post eventually lead to me alluding to the fact that it seemed obvious that the vote would lean more towards Pujols, and for the same damn reasons you continued to parrot me on. Please stop being a retard.

As far as Fielder finishing fourth, ESPECIALLY the fact that he finished after Howard, is beyond me. But it's not like it's the first time someone was snubbed for votes for an award.

Let's hear again about how UZR is the only determining factor in a player's defensive ability :lol: And then explain how that can possibly be so when Tex's was lower than Fielder's and Tex won the gold glove.

By the way NEWBIE, I'm not a Brewers fan. I'm a Phillies fan and I STILL think Fielder got snubbed for votes over Howard.

Put some time in around here before you run your mouth and look like a fucking moron.

Last edited:

Go back and read my first fucking post you idiot. The tone of my post eventually lead to me alluding to the fact that it seemed obvious that the vote would lean more towards Pujols, and for the same damn reasons you continued to parrot me on. Please stop being a retard.

As far as Fielder finishing fourth, ESPECIALLY the fact that he finished after Howard, is beyond me. But it's not like it's the first time someone was snubbed for votes for an award.

Let's hear again about how UZR is the only determining factor in a player's defensive ability :lol: And then explain how that can possibly be so when Tex's was lower than Fielder's and Tex won the gold glove.

By the way NEWBIE, I'm not a Brewers fan. I'm a Phillies fan and I STILL think Fielder got snubbed for votes over Howard.

Put some time in around here before you run your mouth and look like a fucking moron.
LOL, I love how you try to use the fact that I'm new to this board, as some sort of insult. LOL, what a nerd! A life doesn't begin once you join a message board, douche!

Wow, you've backpedaled so much, I can barely see anymore! The fact remains, you made the following statement: "The MVP is a TOSSUP between Pujols and Fielder" And what happened? Pujols was a UNANIMOUS pick for the MVP award, while Fielder finished FOURTH! LOL, you are an idiot!

UZR isn't the only defensive saber-metric to define a players defensive ability. FRAR, SFR, and WARP, are a few of the others. Only an out of touch baseball fan thinks that something as trivial as fielding percentage, and the amount of errors a player has, distinguishes his defensive ability. I'm sitting here embarrassed at your naivety!

Twins better make sure to throw a lot of money at Mauer....because he will look quite good yankee pinstripes

LOL, I love how you try to use the fact that I'm new to this board, as some sort of insult. LOL, what a nerd! A life doesn't begin once you join a message board, douche!

Wow, you've backpedaled so much, I can barely see anymore! The fact remains, you made the following statement: "The MVP is a TOSSUP between Pujols and Fielder" And what happened? Pujols was a UNANIMOUS pick for the MVP award, while Fielder finished FOURTH! LOL, you are an idiot!

UZR isn't the only defensive saber-metric to define a players defensive ability. FRAR, SFR, and WARP, are a few of the others. Only an out of touch baseball fan thinks that something as trivial as fielding percentage, and the amount of errors a player has, distinguishes his defensive ability. I'm sitting here embarrassed at your naivety!

The fact that you are new to this board is what had you thinking I was a Brewers fan simply because I advocated Fielder.

Fielder had better numbers all around over Howard. If I was a voter, even though I'm a Phils fan, I would still vote Fielder. Howard has some things about his game that need improving before he gets consideration for such a prestigious award again.

Why can someone not say it's a PERSONAL toss up, and then in the same breath say that the WRITERS will probably lean towards Pujols? What is it that you don't seem to fucking understand about that?

Btw, talk about backpeddling...don't fucking use UZR as your only justification and then BACKPEDDLE to other stats when you've been shown up on your ignorance of it.

And yeah, you're an uninformed newbie trying to pop shit against someone you don't know well enough to pull such a thing off on. Call it nerd if you want, but you still look like a fucking idiot.

Go talk about baked goods in the "Food" subforum where you belong.

i will be more then happy to give one of the best hitters in baseball who plays the most difficult position that money.

Go ahead and put mauer behind A-rod

Tex-Arod-Mauer

i will be more then happy to give one of the best hitters in baseball who plays the most difficult position that money.

Go ahead and put mauer behind A-rod

Tex-Arod-Mauer

So you're throwing Posada out like yesterday's trash, huh? I see how it is :D

Do you know how hard it was to come to terms with the loss of Darren Daulton? :lol:

No loyalty with you guys. Plus you buy your championships :lol:

Forum List

Back