CJ Stroud does it again!!

He has more yards passing in 8 games as Marino had in 13….. He has almost as many TDs and a third of the interceptions. Stroud doesn’t have anywhere near the talent around him that Marino had. Thats not a dig on Marino it just shows how crazy good Stroud actually is. Marino was throwing to Duper and Clayton. Name the WRs for Houston without looking it up.

Winning a team stat.
I don’t think you can compare 1984 football stats to 2023 stats and say it’s honest. You have to look at what the median at the time was and how above a player was. Marino was one of the biggest outliers in QB history as far as TD’s and yards, which is a QBs job

Stroud has been wonderful, but at least be honest when comparing to one of the GOATs in Marino

I don’t think you can compare 1984 football stats to 2023 stats and say it’s honest. You have to look at what the median at the time was and how above a player was. Marino was one of the biggest outliers in QB history as far as TD’s and yards, which is a QBs job
Today's NFL is a QB dominated league.

Stroud has been wonderful, but at least be honest when comparing to one of the GOATs in Marino
Just comparing rookie years not careers.

Can we agree that the situation for Marino in Miami was better than Stroud in Houston? That Clayton and Duper were better than the WR's on the Texans? The Dolphins probably had the better coach. No offense to Coach Ryans but Don Shula...

Marino averaged 200 yds per game. He didnt play an entire year so using total yards would be a fair comparison. The top of the league that year was 270ish. Top 10 was 230 yds/game. That puts Marino somewhere in the 16-17 range I think.

Stroud is #1 in the league right now in that stat.....

He's top 10 in TD's and of the starters has the fewest Ints.

If Stroud's next 8 games are as good as his first 9 his rookie year will be the best rookie year in league history. Bar none. That's a big if. But IF it happens it will be undeniable IMO.

Just comparing rookie years not careers.

Can we agree that the situation for Marino in Miami was better than Stroud in Houston? That Clayton and Duper were better than the WR's on the Texans? The Dolphins probably had the better coach. No offense to Coach Ryans but Don Shula...

Marino averaged 200 yds per game. He didnt play an entire year so using total yards would be a fair comparison. The top of the league that year was 270ish. Top 10 was 230 yds/game. That puts Marino somewhere in the 16-17 range I think.

Stroud is #1 in the league right now in that stat.....

He's top 10 in TD's and of the starters has the fewest Ints.

If Stroud's next 8 games are as good as his first 9 his rookie year will be the best rookie year in league history. Bar none. That's a big if. But IF it happens it will be undeniable IMO.
Stroud should have been the #1 pick in the 2023 draft. Carolina made a mistake.

It appears that way yes. Carolina a really bad team though so I wouldnt write Young off just yet. He's small which isnt going to help him but if he can survive a few years and they put some guys around him it might turn out ok.

It appears that way yes. Carolina a really bad team though so I wouldnt write Young off just yet. He's small which isnt going to help him but if he can survive a few years and they put some guys around him it might turn out ok.
Young will never be that good of a QB. He is too small and makes too many bad decisions.

Easy to say now. Even beyond the player, the stigma of OSU quarterbacks failing in the NFL was very much alive.

And while Stroud has been nothing short of spectacular for a rookie, let’s pump the brakes a bit. I watched Baker Mayfield torch the league for 29 TD passes in 14 games his rookie year setting the record, and then never returned to being a high octane QB.

Defensive coaches get paid too. Let’s see if Stroud can continue his ascent once there’s tons of film out there on him

FYI Couchpotato

Marino Rookie Season in 1983
11 games, 20 TD's, 6 INT's, 2,210 yds. .. in a league that didn't allow passing like it does today.
Marino's 2nd year in 84
16 games, 48 TD, 17 INT, 5,084 yds

Let's see if Stroud pushes the envelope like Marino did.

FYI Couchpotato

Marino Rookie Season in 1983
11 games, 20 TD's, 6 INT's, 2,210 yds. .. in a league that didn't allow passing like it does today.
Marino's 2nd year in 84
16 games, 48 TD, 17 INT, 5,084 yds

Let's see if Stroud pushes the envelope like Marino did.
I know. I looked at Marino‘s stats. I also looked at the other QBs stats that year and compared them taking into account that Marino played fewer games. He was middle of the pack. Stroud is leading the league. He’s in the conversation for MVP for fucks sake. And we aren’t talking about year 2. We are talking about rookie years. IF Stroud continues on the same arc he’s been on so far he will have the best ROOKIE year in league history and it won’t be close.

I know. I looked at Marino‘s stats. I also looked at the other QBs stats that year and compared them taking into account that Marino played fewer games. He was middle of the pack. Stroud is leading the league. He’s in the conversation for MVP for fucks sake. And we aren’t talking about year 2. We are talking about rookie years. IF Stroud continues on the same arc he’s been on so far he will have the best ROOKIE year in league history and it won’t be close.
I'm an optimist by nature, you're entirely correct that Stroud could have the greatest rookie year in NFL history.

His QBR is currently 63.2.
Russell Wilson's rookie year in 2012 was 74.8
RG3's Rookie year in 2012 was 69.4
Dak Prescott in 2016 was 77.6
Matt Ryan 2008 68.8

I could go on. CJ Stroud is nuts as a rookie, but he's not out of the universe.

Forum List

Back