Jobless claims surge to a five-year high

What can any of us say?

Things are bad for some of us, some of us feel that all's right with the world.

Metrics don't matter, our perceptions do.
Just remember what a Republican president produced. And remember Republicans didn't want to talk about it and today they deny it was this bad when bush was president. That was a lost decade
In November, 2007, just as we were about to enter one of the worst recessions in U.S. history, there were 12,922,140 included in the U-6 under/unemployment rate. By the end of Bush's Great Recession, there were 25,492,830. 12.6 million people either lost their job, became discouraged or marginally attached to the labor force, or took a part time job for economic reasons.

Since that time, the number has dropped to 15,371,202, or a decline of 10.1 million.
I also specifically remember making fun of Bush's job numbers because his economy was more of a service based economy. You want fries with that? Those were the kinds of jobs he added. What he eliminated were good jobs. Remember Romney and bain capital?

Oh, and when they say wages went up under bush that's true. CEO pay
You have to go back to Herbert Hoover to find a president with a worse record on jobs as Bush. And as bad as Bush's numbers were (1.3m jobs gained in 8 years. .5m private sector jobs lost in 8 years), they were propped up by the housing bubble. That's why I can't help but laugh at rightwingnuts who bitch and moan about Obama.
Bernie just took unfair trade back from trump!

Hey, I was responding to your post and missed it. Can you explain??

Just remember what a Republican president produced. And remember Republicans didn't want to talk about it and today they deny it was this bad when bush was president. That was a lost decade
In November, 2007, just as we were about to enter one of the worst recessions in U.S. history, there were 12,922,140 included in the U-6 under/unemployment rate. By the end of Bush's Great Recession, there were 25,492,830. 12.6 million people either lost their job, became discouraged or marginally attached to the labor force, or took a part time job for economic reasons.

Since that time, the number has dropped to 15,371,202, or a decline of 10.1 million.
I also specifically remember making fun of Bush's job numbers because his economy was more of a service based economy. You want fries with that? Those were the kinds of jobs he added. What he eliminated were good jobs. Remember Romney and bain capital?

You have to go back to Herbert Hoover to find a president with a worse record on jobs as Bush. And as bad as Bush's numbers were (1.3m jobs gained in 8 years. .5m private sector jobs lost in 8 years), they were propped up by the housing bubble. That's why I can't help but laugh at rightwingnuts who bitch and moan about Obama.

He said we must not pass the tpp. I hope hillary and the Democrats take Bernie's lead and agree with trump we need to make trade fair. We've been saying that for years. At least unions have.

We can't play politics like Republicans do and always take the other side of every argument. Trumps being very liberal talking about tariffs. It's how he beat all the Republicans who let jobs go overseas too. And Republicans invented NAFTA. Only reason he bush didn't sign it is because he lost to Bill Clinton. Clinton put workers protections in NAFTA and no doubt bush and Tom delay and Dennis hastert removed them.

What can any of us say?

Things are bad for some of us, some of us feel that all's right with the world.

Metrics don't matter, our perceptions do.

I know so many blue collar uneducated guys who used to make good money working for the big 3 or Detroit news or a million other good paying manufacturing jobs, mostly unions, they lost their jobs and now the best they can find is under the table manual labor, painters, or now they work at a non union factory making half what they used to.

Please tell me what trump is going to do for these people

That's a great question.

I also wonder what it is that people think our buying power is now.

Even union people with good paying jobs didn't have the kinds of toys their brothers have today.

Some of it has to do with having their wives work.

But, I just have to wonder what the comparative buying power is.
You ready for this? Half of Americans would have a hard time coming up with $400 in an emergency.

That includes some people who make $100,000 a year. They might have mortgage, car payments, credit card debt, paying for school, cable, internet, food, etc. They may be living paycheck to paycheck too.

My mom has late stage Alzheimer's. She couldn't stay at home so we had to find a place. My dad had to pay 2 months up front. $21,500. How many Americans could write that check?

I don't think she's going to last a week. Thank god both because she's suffering and she's eating up their savings. Sorry to be a bummer and bring that up.

All the best to you and your family.

You and your family will be whole and together at some time in the future.

He said we must not pass the tpp. I hope hillary and the Democrats take Bernie's lead and agree with trump we need to make trade fair. We've been saying that for years. At least unions have.

We can't play politics like Republicans do and always take the other side of every argument. Trumps being very liberal talking about tariffs. It's how he beat all the Republicans who let jobs go overseas too. And Republicans invented NAFTA. Only reason he bush didn't sign it is because he lost to Bill Clinton. Clinton put workers protections in NAFTA and no doubt bush and Tom delay and Dennis hastert removed them.
Thanks. got it.

Jobless claims surge to a five-year high - Stocks & economy - MSNBC.com

The Labor Department reported Thursday that the number of applications for jobless benefits soared to 448,000, an increase of 44,000 from the previous week. That was far worse than the decline of 8,000 that economists had been expecting.
The overall total of 448,000 claims for last week surpassed the previous high for the current slowdown of 406,000 in late March. It was the highest claims level since they totaled 450,000 the week of April 19, 2003, a period when the country was struggling through a jobless recovery following the 2001 recession.

Remember it was only January 2008 and the GOP candidates were all saying that Michigan was in a one state recession and the economy was strong? I knew that was a lie based on the news I was seeing. I knew Bush was using fuzzy math all along. Fudging the numbers. They weren’t counting people who stopped receiving unemployment benefits. They were counting all the new government jobs Bush created. Those jobs are a drag on all of us because tax payers pay those salaries. Same with Haloburton & Blackwater salaries. They said wages were up, but I didn't see anyone bragging that their wages were up. And they probably counted the minimum wage increase. And I knew the only jobs being added were low paying jobs.

Not to mention the dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore and the cost of living has gone up.

Sure, when you count the CEO’s now making $20 million and the vp’s now making a 5 million a year and all the guys directly below them now making $1 million a year and the guys below them making $500K a year. Sure wages may be up overall, but not the middle class’.

I just knew everything the GOP was saying was bullshit. Their economy was never strong the entire 8 years. Or if it was, they left us out. Time for a change.
Just so all you Republicans remember what bush handed Obama.

And you want to be put back in charge?

Did you see under Obama us jobless claims aka unemployment claims, people who just got let go, fell to a 4 decade low. Thank obama

Forum List

Back