Jobless claims surge to a five-year high

Discussion in 'Economy' started by sealybobo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,115
    Jobless claims surge to a five-year high - Stocks & economy - MSNBC.com

The Labor Department reported Thursday that the number of applications for jobless benefits soared to 448,000, an increase of 44,000 from the previous week. That was far worse than the decline of 8,000 that economists had been expecting.
    The overall total of 448,000 claims for last week surpassed the previous high for the current slowdown of 406,000 in late March. It was the highest claims level since they totaled 450,000 the week of April 19, 2003, a period when the country was struggling through a jobless recovery following the 2001 recession.

Remember it was only January 2008 and the GOP candidates were all saying that Michigan was in a one state recession and the economy was strong? I knew that was a lie based on the news I was seeing. I knew Bush was using fuzzy math all along. Fudging the numbers. They weren’t counting people who stopped receiving unemployment benefits. They were counting all the new government jobs Bush created. Those jobs are a drag on all of us because tax payers pay those salaries. Same with Haloburton & Blackwater salaries. They said wages were up, but I didn't see anyone bragging that their wages were up. And they probably counted the minimum wage increase. And I knew the only jobs being added were low paying jobs.

Not to mention the dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore and the cost of living has gone up.

Sure, when you count the CEO’s now making $20 million and the vp’s now making a 5 million a year and all the guys directly below them now making $1 million a year and the guys below them making $500K a year. Sure wages may be up overall, but not the middle class’.

I just knew everything the GOP was saying was bullshit. Their economy was never strong the entire 8 years. Or if it was, they left us out. Time for a change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,115
    No one is interested in this? Interesting.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    What can any of us say?

Things are bad for some of us, some of us feel that all's right with the world.

Metrics don't matter, our perceptions do.

4. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,115
    Just remember what a Republican president produced. And remember Republicans didn't want to talk about it and today they deny it was this bad when bush was president. That was a lost decade

5. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,682
    Our economy continues to flounder, under big ears.

These nine charts expose the lies, but some still can't see the truth. If an R gets in the WH, the MSM will inform the dupes, but not until then.

[​IMG]

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,858
    Granny says, "Dat's right...

... dat's what happens when the economy getting ready...

... to go inna tank - again."

7. Rshermr

Rshermr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Hmmmmmm. No source for any of your charts. Wonder why. Nah, I know why.

8. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,682
    yeah...it is all made up bullshit.

You keep telling yourself that.

9. Rshermr

Rshermr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Is that what it is. Made up bullshit? I would not have known had you not told me. Thanks for telling me you are a dishonest stupid con tool. And here I thought you were just a stupid con tool.

So rational people do not provide information with no link, no source.
    Honest people always provide a link, if asked.
    Dishonest, or lying people, like con trolls do not provide links or sources. Because they want to keep them hidden.
    So, as a dishonest con troll, what can one expect.

So, lets take one of your charts. You say health care is going up drastically. But impartial sources do not. The most authoritative and non partial source out there is the Kaiser Family Foundation, which states the following:

"Obamacare Isn't Driving Up Health Costs. Really.
    By
    Christopher Flavelle
    Start with the basics. On average, the cost of employer-sponsored health insurance increased 26 percent from 2009 to 2014. But costs increased faster before the law was enacted: From 2004 to 2009, costs increased 34 percent. From 1999 to 2004, they went up 72 percent.

Those are averages; are premiums rising faster for small employers? Actually, the opposite is true. For companies with 200 workers or more, average 2014 premiums were $17,265, or 3.3 percent higher than in 2013. At companies with 3 to 199 workers, annual premiums in 2014 averaged $15,849 -- 1.7 percent more than in 2013, when average premiums were 2.2 percent higher than in 2012."
    Obamacare Isn't Driving Up Health Costs. Really.

So, me boy, health care costs are rising much slower under Obamacare than it was prior to Obamacare.
    And notice, I used an impartial source, and provided a link. Which is what prople with integrity do. And what people who have no integrity, like you, do not do.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,115
    For Republicans who want to talk shit about how well Obama is doing, let me take you back to 2008 and remind you how Republicans really sucked.