Jeter wanted 6yrs $150 mil?! LMFAO!

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
Derek Jeter started contract negotiations with the New York Yankees by asking for a six- year, $150 million deal, the Daily News reported.

Jeter, who has won five World Series titles in 16 years with the Yankees, is standing firm on $25 million per year, according to the New York newspaper, citing an unidentified person familiar with the negotiations. The Yankees originally offered the 11-time All-Star a three- year, $45 million deal that would make Jeter, 36, the highest-paid shortstop in Major League Baseball.

Derek Jeter Asked for Six Year, $150 Million Contract, Daily News Reports - Bloomberg

How about Yankee Cheerleaders then?????

Give a new meaning to the 7th inning stretch. I bet people stop leaving the park early. ;)

Right now, the Yankees stand to make more money with Number 2 at shortstop than some hotshot out of the Dominican Republic. People take their kids to see Jeter play. He is worth more to the Yankees than any other team.

Yanks need to keep the negotiations private and work out a deal that keeps him in pinstripes for the rest of his career

I think he gets as many of those as he wants for free.

I think that's true....

I also think Steinbrenner would have paid him.

A fark poster summed it up perfectly, IMO.

Dear Derek Jeter,

The Boss is dead.

Signed,

His Kids.

well done. lol.. and sadly true. but it would be terrible if they didn't make a deal with Jeter. He deseves to go out with a good deal.

Right now, the Yankees stand to make more money with Number 2 at shortstop than some hotshot out of the Dominican Republic. People take their kids to see Jeter play. He is worth more to the Yankees than any other team.

Yanks need to keep the negotiations private and work out a deal that keeps him in pinstripes for the rest of his career

I sure hope they do bow down and give him a more outrageous deal than the already outrageous 3/$45 mil they already offered him.

Then they should sign Cliff Lee to a Sabathia-style 6 year deal.

Then we will soon see ARod, Jeter, Sabathia, Lee, and Texiera all making 20 mil + at the same time wayyyyyyy beyond the prime of their careers :thup:

I think that's true....

I also think Steinbrenner would have paid him.

Dear Derek Jeter,

The Boss is dead.

Signed,

His Kids.

well done. lol.. and sadly true. but it would be terrible if they didn't make a deal with Jeter. He deseves to go out with a good deal.

3 yrs $45 mil is a good deal. He should jump on it like it were the next hot 22 year old starlet on the scene. No other shortstop in the league gets paid more than that.

Last edited:

But he really isn't worth anywhere near that to any other team.

3 yrs $45 mil is a good deal. He should jump on it like it were the next hot 22 year old starlet on the scene. No other shortstop in the league gets paid more than that.

This is true. I just checked contracts on SS and Reyes and Hanley get around 11/yr. Jeter is not the same Jeter he used to be, and to get 4 more per year than any of these other stellar SS is a fucking GIFT. I mean shit, there's some serious young up and coming talent at SS that's not only BETTER than Jeter, but making less than 10 mil/yr.

Just take the damn deal and retire a Yankee.

But he really isn't worth anywhere near that to any other team.

If you're referring to his specific ticket sale value to NY, that's reaching.

Yankee fans will show up regardless of Jeter.

Some other towns might lose attendance over something like that but not NY.

I can't think of a bigger way for Jeter to shit on the Yankees than to pull a Favre and leave the team at the end of his career for somewhere else.

And I can't think of a bigger way for the Sox to shit on the Yankees than to sign him. :lol:

I can't think of a bigger way for Jeter to shit on the Yankees than to pull a Favre and leave the team at the end of his career for somewhere else.

And I can't think of a bigger way for the Sox to shit on the Yankees than to sign him. :lol:

I bet a trillion dollars he doesn't leave NY.

He managed to get a single digit jersey number as a rookie. That's priceless in NY. He wants his number retired, I guarantee it.

I like jeter, I think he has moxy on the ball-field and is not a fantastic shortstop athletically but certainly an all around very good one..that being said, hes 36, time to take the year to year money or go.

He won't. And the Yanks don't want him to either; that's why he's in a position to ask for so much. But imo it's greed. That organization has made him one of the richest athletes in the world. I think it's not about what do the Yankees owe him--because at this point they've paid up--but about what does he owe the fans, and the organization that built success around him and some others. Same goes for Mariano too.

He won't. And the Yanks don't want him to either; that's why he's in a position to ask for so much. But imo it's greed. That organization has made him one of the richest athletes in the world. I think it's not about what do the Yankees owe him--because at this point they've paid up--but about what does he owe the fans, and the organization that built success around him and some others. Same goes for Mariano too.

Well the point I was actually making was that I don't necessarily think he's got as much bargaining ability as it might appear.

He wants that number retired and be among the Yankee greats in the single digit range. That's something that's almost as special as a HOF induction itself.

I might be wrong. But I bet he'd bend if he thought he might be pushing too hard and possibly losing the battle.

Money is money, and he's got plenty of it. He can still go make millions anywhere else. But if negotiations go sour with him and the Yankees it's very possible that he might not get his number retired.

Okay I see what you're saying. That's a good point. I doubt he and his agent ever expected to actually get this much, and are just doing the first rule of negotiating: start high and work down. It's inconceivable to me that his number wouldn't get retired in pinstripes, but I guess anythings possible.

Forum List

Back