Jeter wanted 6yrs $150 mil?! LMFAO!

Okay I see what you're saying. That's a good point. I doubt he and his agent ever expected to actually get this much, and are just doing the first rule of negotiating: start high and work down. It's inconceivable to me that his number wouldn't get retired in pinstripes, but I guess anythings possible.

I'd say it's all but guaranteed at this point, but in the event that his relationship with the team goes sour because of a deal gone bad, I could possibly see it not happen.

It would isolate him from fans who would no doubt be angry at him for cutting out on them over a matter of a couple bucks in the long run.

And then if he signed with Boston on top of that??? :eek:
I would think that would be an automatic disqualifier.

He better just play ball, so to speak.

The $150 million number is bogus. Jeters people never requested it

Just take the damn deal and retire a Yankee.

I can't think of a bigger way for Jeter to shit on the Yankees than to pull a Favre and leave the team at the end of his career for somewhere else.

And I can't think of a bigger way for the Sox to shit on the Yankees than to sign him. :lol:
Why would Jeter ever want to shit on the Yankees?

Some perspective is in order:

Without Lifers Like Jeter, Yankees Lose Their Aura

*snip*

Going into his 16th full season, he has played for no other major league team, which puts him in a revered class with seven Yankees Hall of Famers, as well as Thurman Munson and Don Mattingly, two of his predecessors as team captain. It would be hard to think of Jeter (or Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio before him) signing with another team and suiting up in the visitors’ clubhouse. The Yankees would not quite be the Yankees if he did.

Legendary status is affixed to great players who remain with one team for their entire career, whether it’s Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn, Ted Williams in Boston, Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken in Baltimore, Ernie Banks in Chicago, Stan Musial in St. Louis, Al Kaline in Detroit or Robin Yount in Milwaukee.

For the Yankees, the ability to keep a player forever is especially important, particularly in an era in which they continually recruit high-priced free agents from elsewhere. Without Jeter (and Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada), the Yankees lose their link to their own tradition and become mercenaries in pinstripes.

So, a legacy like Jeter’s is easy to comprehend but more difficult to set a value on. Because of the Yankees’ wealth, they can afford to sign him to a new contract that will overpay him far beyond his prime. But what exactly is the financial ceiling for a player who turns 37 next season; batted .270 in 2010, 44 points below his career average; and showed limited range at shortstop?

Glenn Stout, the author of “Yankees Century: 100 Years of New York Yankees Baseball,” wrote in an e-mail: “If he fails to perform, what’s another $10 million a year, particularly when you can give Jeter some significant measure of credit for putting the Yankees in such a strong financial position?”

Vince Gennaro, who consults on strategy for several major league teams, said, “As a nameless, faceless shortstop, I have him worth $10 million to $11 million, but as Derek Jeter, I have him worth about $20 million.”

In 2011, Gennaro said, a little more than half of that value would be as an athlete, but in future seasons, “his performance value goes down as his marquee value ascends.”

He added, “In reality, his value as a brand-builder will grow long after his skills diminish.”

*snip*​

Read the whole article.

That's a somewhat ridiculous way of looking at it. If the guy gets to a point where his play is hurting his team more than helping it, not only is that counter-productive to winning, but it ends up tarnishing his legacy as he tries to hang on to something that just isn't there anymore, like Favre is doing these days.

When he gets to a point where he's batting under .250, making errors, and hurting his team, then how is that worth 20 million? What are they going to do, just keep him in the lineup regardless, just to keep up appearances? And if they don't, and they start benching him and platooning him or whatever, then that flies in the face of "marquee value" because if fans are showing up for Jeter, they're showing up to watch him PLAY, not sit the bench.

At some point some common sense needs to come into play. At the end of the day, EVERYONE is expendable eventually.

Last edited:
Age can be nasty to an athlete, even a talented one.

And Jeter's last season kinda sucked (at least in comparison to his average season).

On the other hand, anybody can have an "off" season.

I think it would be a hoot to see the feckless fans come around to adoring Derek Jeter again if he were to return to "form" next season. And that could easily happen. Fix some mechanical misfire in his swing or timing, and BOOM, there he is offensively, again. As a shortstop, he has never been brilliant, but he HAS been consistently quite good. He even seemed to have improved his defensive game this past season.

You can never bank on it, of course, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a come-back season in 2011 for the Captain.

If they re-sign him, they will find a way to play him, either at shortstop, first base, designated hitter - but they won't ever let him sit due to non-production.

If they re-sign him, they will find a way to play him, either at shortstop, first base, designated hitter - but they won't ever let him sit due to non-production.

You apparently don't know enough about baseball to be commenting on this subject.

You apparently don't know enough about baseball to be commenting on this subject.
Anytime you want to debate baseball, it's history, and it's players, you just let me know.

Why don't we start with the ridiculous notion of playing Jeter at 1st when Teixeira is locked in to 2016 at 180 mil.

Or DH for that matter. Typically your DH is a guy with power that's expected to hit more than 10 hr.

They should get rid of that nobody Posada, and make Jeter the catcher. :eusa_whistle:

Anytime you want to debate baseball, it's history, and it's players, you just let me know.

Why don't we start with the ridiculous notion of playing Jeter at 1st when Teixeira is locked in to 2016 at 180 mil.
I was using first base as the typical place that aging stars wind up, along with DH. And plenty of DH have not been power hitters. Rickey was DH at the end of his career. So was Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, Edgar Renteria, etc. The point I was making is that Jeter has a sure glove, if not great shortstop range. You can plug him in almost anywhere and he will not embarrass you, although I don't believe his arm is strong enough for center or right field.

Baseball is more business than sport these days, and if the fans are showing up to see Jeter, they will find a way to get him in the lineup.

Just take the damn deal and retire a Yankee.

I can't think of a bigger way for Jeter to shit on the Yankees than to pull a Favre and leave the team at the end of his career for somewhere else.

And I can't think of a bigger way for the Sox to shit on the Yankees than to sign him. :lol:

I bet a trillion dollars he doesn't leave NY.

He managed to get a single digit jersey number as a rookie. That's priceless in NY. He wants his number retired, I guarantee it.

it will be retired,

A fark poster summed it up perfectly, IMO.

well done. lol.. and sadly true. but it would be terrible if they didn't make a deal with Jeter. He deseves to go out with a good deal.

3 yrs $45 mil is a good deal. He should jump on it like it were the next hot 22 year old starlet on the scene. No other shortstop in the league gets paid more than that.

how much money has jeter brought to the team?

Forum List

Back