Jesus was a liberal

No one is justifying anything. But it is time for a reality check as far as so called Christians following Jesus but not knowing or caring what he was all about.

Interesting that the left wants to justify the welfare state through Jesus.
It's almost as if they've never heard of the 1st amendment.

Mississippi is one red state. Their GPD is 45% federal welfare. I suspect it has something to do with subsidies going to big AG businesses (the ones who don't need it) instead of it going to small farmers. Republican's aren't against welfare, they are just against it going to those that need it.

Jesus transcends politics. You can no more authoritatively cite His support for one federal policy than you can for another. Trying to shoehorn Him into your narrow little definition of what's right is simply wrong and ultimately fruitless. He is no more a liberal than He is a conservative, because He is not about politics and doesn't command the state to do anything. Quite simply, He doesn't really care if the US government taxes one person more than another person or accepts more immigrants from one country than from another. He simply expects His followers to obey His commandments, not demand the government to do it for them.

No one is justifying anything. But it is time for a reality check as far as so called Christians following Jesus but not knowing or caring what he was all about.
No tenet of the Chrisdtian faith involves forcing others to give to the needy or that your personal moral requirement to do so can be met through your taxes paid to the state.

And so, your response, and the topic, is abject nonsense.

Last edited:

Why do atheist liberals pretend to think people should follow Jesus?

Are you serious? First of all, why do you people think those who are not religious are atheists? And why do you assume we do not know anything abut Christianity? That is in most cases incorrect. Most of us were born and raised as Christians. I certainly was. I was baptised. I went to Sunday school and church. I'm not the least bit ignorant about Christianity.

And most importantly, people who call themselves Christians and who self identify as Christians are supposed to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. Duh. Anyone who would think otherwise is not playing with a full deck.

Mississippi is one red state. Their GPD is 45% federal welfare. I suspect it has something to do with subsidies going to big AG businesses (the ones who don't need it) instead of it going to small farmers. Republican's aren't against welfare, they are just against it going to those that need it.
Uhhh... sure. :dunno:
Maybe you can now explain how your response has anything to do with what I said.

Why do atheist liberals pretend to think people should follow Jesus?

Are you serious? First of all, why do you people think those who are not religious are atheists? And why do you assume we do not know anything abut Christianity? That is in most cases incorrect. Most of us were born and raised as Christians. I certainly was. I was baptised. I went to Sunday school and church. I'm not the least bit ignorant about Christianity.

And most importantly, people who call themselves Christians and who self identify as Christians are supposed to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. Duh. Anyone who would think otherwise is not playing with a full deck.

Of course. But that has nothing to do with the State.

Maybe you can now explain how your response has anything to do with what I said.

Really? You have no idea of what you said? I would suggest you re-read your welfare state comment.

Really? You have no idea of what you said?
I know exactly what I said.
I asked you to explain how what YOU said has any relevance to it.
If you can, that is. I suspect you cannot.

I know exactly what I said.
I asked you to explain how what YOU said has any relevance to it.
If you can, that is. I suspect you cannot.
I'm just letting you know where some of the federal funds are going.
IOW you had nothing of value to respond with and so instead offered up a red herring.
I accept your concession of the point.

Well, you said that the left wants to justify the welfare state, and I'm just pointing out that Red States are sucking off the Government teat. You can do whatever you want with that FYI.

I'm just letting you know where some of the federal funds are going.
IOW you had nothing of value to respond with and so instead offered up a red herring.
I accept your concession of the point.
Well, you said that the left wants to justify the welfare state, and I'm just pointing out that Red States are sucking off the Government teat.
Yes. Two unrelated issues. Just like I said.

That's not true, just trying to show the rightwing misguided Christians that Jesus wasn't a Tea Partier.

Jesus transcends politics. You can no more authoritatively cite His support for one federal policy than you can for another. Trying to shoehorn Him into your narrow little definition of what's right is simply wrong and ultimately fruitless. He is no more a liberal than He is a conservative, because He is not about politics and doesn't command the state to do anything. Quite simply, He doesn't really care if the US government taxes one person more than another person or accepts more immigrants from one country than from another. He simply expects His followers to obey His commandments, not demand the government to do it for them.

Exactly.....that's why we're trying to tell them not to be so fearful of taxes..... of foreigners and of anyone that doesn't have blond hair and blue eyes. Also, to quit trying to pass morality laws that coincide with their beliefs....it's up to each individual whether they will believe and obey or not.

No tenet of the Chrisdtian faith involves forcing others to give to the needy or that your personal moral requirement to do so can be met through your taxes paid to the state.
Show me the tenet of the Christian faith that says we can ignore the needy, or that we should revolt against the government, or that we should coddle the rich and condemn the poor?

And so, your response, and the topic, is abject nonsense.
You, don't know what you are talking about. Jesus doesn't care how we take care of the poor and less fortunate, He just cares that we as his followers, do. And, he certainly spoke against showing bias toward the rich and against the poor.

The New Testament writer James provides ample warning for Christians in such situations…

James 2
“My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don’t show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, 'Here’s a good seat for you,' but say to the poor man, ‘You stand there’ or ‘Sit on the floor by my feet,’ have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to whom you belong?

That's not true, just trying to show the rightwing misguided Christians that Jesus wasn't a Tea Partier.
Funny, that I don't recall anyone who said He was.

Aren't the Tea Partiers the ones that are worried about Taxes? The ones that want to cut welfare? The ones down at the border screaming obscenities at the poor scared children that are coming to our country illegally? Are you not able to put 2 and 2 together?

Forum List

Back