Jays start the three game playoffs against Seattle. Anyone old enough to remember '92 & '93 Jays? Here's a great detailed write up of '92 team.

I remember it well. WAMCO lineuup was 93, 1-5, White, Alomar, Molitor, Carter, Olerud. The only time in history same team had 1, 2, 3 top BAs in the league. Damn these teams were amazing.

If you are a sports fan but didn't live it as I did, these are great interviews with the players.

CBC Sports Oral Histories | How the Blue Jays brought home Canada’s 1st World Series championship​

Being a native of Chicago w/ 2 teams without a WS victory in my lifetime in '93, I was a little disgusted that an expansion club won before they finally stole one each in the coming decades! The Marlins even won a couple so it had to do with the old ownership and management until this new century! :stir: ;):rolleyes:🥱:itsok:

I remember Joe Carter hitting that homer off of Mitch Williams. I laughed, because i had no dog in that hunt. And Mitch was a bitch. On the other hand, I could not stand Roberto "Spitter" Alomar.
Mitch Williams was either off or on. The playoffs he was lights out. the World Series he was not even close. A fast ball can have speed or velocity, but it has to have movement. A fraction of an inch difference can mean a high fly caught 20 feet in front of the warning track and a home run. Fregosi managed the reliever pitchers terribly as most were not that good. I believe Roger Mason pitched like an MVP and he removed him when his stints should have been longer against the Jays. He took some criticisms and not did not take them well. Williams of course wanted to pitch but was hit by the Jays.

I remember the favored Jays losing to the Royals in their ALCS in '85, playing in some god awful stadium in Toronto that literally had a chain link fence in the outfield. Those Royals would beat my Cardinals on the worst call in WS history, Don Denkinger at first base. Game 6. Cards could have closed it out.

It still ranks as my fave WS of all time.

Yeah, old Exibition Stadium, it was actually exclusively a football stadium for the Toronto Argos CFL team until the Jays were born in '79 I think. I forget which field side in which you could see through the wall but the dimensions were horribly uneven, seating was subpar and max capacity was 34,35 thousand. I was too young to have caught a game there.

Jays then build the Skydome, set back to back records of 4M+ a year, the money was flowing and they basically buy back to back rings with at the time record team salaries over $50M (now other teams buy their rings). The artificial tur alsof used to be hell on players knees, plenty complained and some even chose other places due to this. They've improved on the quality today/

Being a native of Chicago w/ 2 teams without a WS victory in my lifetime in '93, I was a little disgusted that an expansion club won before they finally stole one each in the coming decades! The Marlins even won a couple so it had to do with the old ownership and management until this new century! :stir: ;):rolleyes:🥱:itsok:

Yeah, I recall the White Sox for some of those years having some strong teams (in a weak division), but like the Jays before they won, you either missed the pennant by a couple of games or lost in the playoffs.

The Big Hurt Frank Thomas has some spectacular years and Ventura was a great 3B man.

I remember it well. WAMCO lineuup was 93, 1-5, White, Alomar, Molitor, Carter, Olerud. The only time in history same team had 1, 2, 3 top BAs in the league. Damn these teams were amazing.

If you are a sports fan but didn't live it as I did, these are great interviews with the players.

CBC Sports Oral Histories | How the Blue Jays brought home Canada’s 1st World Series championship​

Go Mariners.they deserve it never being in the world series.

Yeah, I recall the White Sox for some of those years having some strong teams (in a weak division), but like the Jays before they won, you either missed the pennant by a couple of games or lost in the playoffs.

The Big Hurt Frank Thomas has some spectacular years and Ventura was a great 3B man.

They almost gave it away in 2005 when having a 14 1/2 game lead in the div.! Cleveland went on a tear and caught up; just 1 1/2 games! The playoffs saw the WS explode and roll the opposition; esp. Houston in their series! Frank Thomas still quite prominent in those commercials with Doug Flutie! Loved Ventura! :p :heehee:;)

Last edited:
I've never seen the Cardinals lose quite like they did today. I mean, they just flat out choked. They choked back in the 1985 World Series, game 6, but that was different. They were struggling to score runs the entire series and the Royals were just a pesky lineup. The team just fell apart today.

I've never seen the Cardinals lose quite like they did today. I mean, they just flat out choked. They choked back in the 1985 World Series, game 6, but that was different. They were struggling to score runs the entire series and the Royals were just a pesky lineup. The team just fell apart today.
They've choked plenty of times in the past, this was nothing unique. All teams do. The moment was too big for Hells Bells, but that's what you get with a young closer who relies on the fastest pitch clocked in the entire league this year.

Funny we were talking about Wild Thing earlier, because the way he got smoked in the World Series is what often happens to the flamethrowers, you either smoke them, or you get smoked. From what I've seen, more often than not, especially in clutch situations, the flamethrowers get smoked, and once they lose their mojo after a couple of dingers or extra base hits, they are done, confidence shot.

They've choked plenty of times in the past, this was nothing unique. All teams do. The moment was too big for Hells Bells, but that's what you get with a young closer who relies on the fastest pitch clocked in the entire league this year.

Funny we were talking about Wild Thing earlier, because the way he got smoked in the World Series is what often happens to the flamethrowers, you either smoke them, or you get smoked. From what I've seen, more often than not, especially in clutch situations, the flamethrowers get smoked, and once they lose their mojo after a couple of dingers or extra base hits, they are done, confidence shot.

One stat kinda made the point I was trying to make, which is that this was a special kind of choke. Until yesterday, throughout all their post-season history, which dates back to 1926, they hadn't blow a 2-run or greater lead going into the 9th inning. The Phillies changed that.

One stat kinda made the point I was trying to make, which is that this was a special kind of choke. Until yesterday, throughout all their post-season history, which dates back to 1926, they hadn't blow a 2-run or greater lead going into the 9th inning. The Phillies changed that.
Yea, my bad, just saw that too, they were 93-0 until yesterday. Damn. We will see if they have the juice to come back tonight, Mikolas has had a good season so far. Yesterday was a solid effort by Quintana, as well as Wheeler of the Phils.

Yea, my bad, just saw that too, they were 93-0 until yesterday. Damn. We will see if they have the juice to come back tonight, Mikolas has had a good season so far. Yesterday was a solid effort by Quintana, as well as Wheeler of the Phils.

I saw some ridiculous article talking about how there were questionable decisions made by Marmol, but I don't get it. They were up 2-0 in the 9th. They brought in their stud. The stud never left the barn and shat in his stall, lol. There's nothing quite like postseason baseball. It separates who can handle the pressure and who can't. You can take those 20 wins, or the 1.98 ERA, or the 50 saves, and stuff it - means nothing in October.

I saw some ridiculous article talking about how there were questionable decisions made by Marmol, but I don't get it. They were up 2-0 in the 9th. They brought in their stud. The stud never left the barn and shat in his stall, lol. There's nothing quite like postseason baseball. It separates who can handle the pressure and who can't. You can take those 20 wins, or the 1.98 ERA, or the 50 saves, and stuff it - means nothing in October.
The only thing questionable was expecting Hells Bells to get 5 outs. Possibly brought him in a little early, but when to use your reliever seems to be a decision that someone always will question. I am afraid that his confidence might be shot, though.

The only thing questionable was expecting Hells Bells to get 5 outs. Possibly brought him in a little early, but when to use your reliever seems to be a decision that someone always will question. I am afraid that his confidence might be shot, though.

Sometimes, certain pitchers are just made to order for certain lineups. The Phillies have underachieved the last two seasons, IMO, but they have guys who can bang it.

Shocked. I was looking forward to tomorrow when the score was 8-1. Toronto's bullpen betrayed them. Mariners are for real with no superstars, but some good solid players fundamentally sound.

The Phillies are much less lethal is Nick Castellanos is not back to 100%. Bryce can't do everything. Rhys Hoskins can be very good when he's hot. Other than Nola and Wheeler, the pitching staff hasn't lived up to expectations. The Braves played them a lot this year and I probably watched every game. Jean Segura kills us, though. Not sure how he does against the other teams.

I would rather play the Phillies than the Cardinals. Goldschmidt should be MVP over Freddie or the others. Albert is Albert. Wainwright could step up, as could Molina. Arenado is hot and cold. Jordan Montgomery is the only other pitcher I have concerns about facing on that roster, mainly because he came over from the Yankees and I don't believe we've faced him yet, but I may be wrong.
Not looking good for the champs. Every year, the wild card winner seems to have the emotional edge over the favored team. It's the difference between the weight of expectations versus having nothing to lose.

Off topic but don’t anybody else get sick of seeing the two biggest asswipe teams in baseball the Yankees and Astros battling to go to the World Series.

Forum List

Back