Jays start the three game playoffs against Seattle. Anyone old enough to remember '92 & '93 Jays? Here's a great detailed write up of '92 team.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I remember it well. WAMCO lineuup was 93, 1-5, White, Alomar, Molitor, Carter, Olerud. The only time in history same team had 1, 2, 3 top BAs in the league. Damn these teams were amazing.

If you are a sports fan but didn't live it as I did, these are great interviews with the players.

CBC Sports Oral Histories | How the Blue Jays brought home Canada’s 1st World Series championship​

I'm so sick of seeing Joe Carter jumping over first base on his walk off, series ending hit.

Please retire the video. Do you remember the Phillies team? I remember Wild Thing, Lenny Dykstra and Darren Daulton. Daulton is dead now, and Dykstra is in prison, after a post career life of crime. Who knows about Wild Thing.

I'm so sick of seeing Joe Carter jumping over first base on his walk off, series ending hit.

Please retire the video. Do you remember the Phillies team? I remember Wild Thing, Lenny Dykstra and Darren Daulton. Daulton is dead now, and Dykstra is in prison, after a post career life of crime. Who knows about Wild Thing.

That's '93, but I get it. It was more memorable tbh, but '92 was the time Jays finally got over the hump.

Go check out the Jays from '85-'93, I recall as a kid seeing the Jays lose a 3-1 lead to K.C and George Brett (a year earlier it was best of 5, 85, it was best of 7 Jays lose 4-3). The '87 Jays were built to win and then they lose the pennant with a historic collapse the last week against the Tigers.

'92 Was finally the time, once the Jays beat Oakland.

Last edited:

The 1993 Phillies were a wild team - I mean full of personalities. As were the 1986 Mets. And of course Dykstra was on both of those teams, so go figure.

Dykstra and Williams really got into a bitter feud after that year. Dykstra also has a bitter feud with former Mets pitcher and now MLB announcer Ron Darling.

That's '93, but I get it. It was more memorable tbh, but '92 was the time Jays finally got over the hump.

Go check out the Jays from '85-'93, I recall as a kid seeing the Jays lose a 3-1 lead to K.C and George Brett (a year earlier it was best of 5, 85, it was best of 7 Jays lose 4-3). The '87 Jays were built to win and then they lose the pennant with a historic collapse the last week against the Tigers.

'92 Was finally the time, once the Jays beat Oakland.

Oakland was good that year, too. But the Jays peaked at just the right time, with some clutch players like Pat Borders

I recall as a kid seeing the Jays lose a 3-1 lead to K.C and George Brett (a year earlier it was best of 5, 85, it was best of 7 Jays lose 4-3).
I remember the favored Jays losing to the Royals in their ALCS in '85, playing in some god awful stadium in Toronto that literally had a chain link fence in the outfield. Those Royals would beat my Cardinals on the worst call in WS history, Don Denkinger at first base. Game 6. Cards could have closed it out.

It still ranks as my fave WS of all time.

I remember it well. WAMCO lineuup was 93, 1-5, White, Alomar, Molitor, Carter, Olerud. The only time in history same team had 1, 2, 3 top BAs in the league. Damn these teams were amazing.

If you are a sports fan but didn't live it as I did, these are great interviews with the players.

CBC Sports Oral Histories | How the Blue Jays brought home Canada’s 1st World Series championship​

I remember Joe Carter hitting that homer off of Mitch Williams. I laughed, because i had no dog in that hunt. And Mitch was a bitch. On the other hand, I could not stand Roberto "Spitter" Alomar.

The 1993 Phillies were a wild team - I mean full of personalities. As were the 1986 Mets. And of course Dykstra was on both of those teams, so go figure.

Dykstra and Williams really got into a bitter feud after that year. Dykstra also has a bitter feud with former Mets pitcher and now MLB announcer Ron Darling.
Have you heard Dykstra talk? He got beat up real bad in prison, and it sounds like he's drunk when he talks now. I'm not sure if he still in the joint or not.

my Cardinals
Oh, we're gonna have fun when my Braves beat your Cardinals!
4i6Ckte.gif

If Toronto wasn't at the dance I would have easily have rooted for Phillies. As my friend referred to them then, "a bunch of truckers".

Really only Oakland was despised in my mind, I couldn't stand them (though of course respected them). Yankees were also easy to dislike back then,

I don't care enough today to dislike a team per se, the competitiveness among players seem to be lacking also. If they don't care, why should fans?

First we got to get past those sneaky Phillies. Either way, someone has to play the Dodgers.
The Phillies are much less lethal is Nick Castellanos is not back to 100%. Bryce can't do everything. Rhys Hoskins can be very good when he's hot. Other than Nola and Wheeler, the pitching staff hasn't lived up to expectations. The Braves played them a lot this year and I probably watched every game. Jean Segura kills us, though. Not sure how he does against the other teams.

I would rather play the Phillies than the Cardinals. Goldschmidt should be MVP over Freddie or the others. Albert is Albert. Wainwright could step up, as could Molina. Arenado is hot and cold. Jordan Montgomery is the only other pitcher I have concerns about facing on that roster, mainly because he came over from the Yankees and I don't believe we've faced him yet, but I may be wrong.

I remember the favored Jays losing to the Royals in their ALCS in '85, playing in some god awful stadium in Toronto that literally had a chain link fence in the outfield. Those Royals would beat my Cardinals on the worst call in WS history, Don Denkinger at first base. Game 6. Cards could have closed it out.

It still ranks as my fave WS of all time.

If I recall, K.C is the only team to come back from 3-1 series deficits twice in a playoff to win a W.S.

George Brett absolutely destroyed us. Bobby Cox actually walked him with the bases loaded, giving up a free run. Now THAT is respect.

If Toronto wasn't at the dance I would have easily have rooted for Phillies. As my friend referred to them then, "a bunch of truckers".

Really only Oakland was despised in my mind, I couldn't stand them (though of course respected them). Yankees were also easy to dislike back then,

I don't care enough today to dislike a team per se, the competitiveness among players seem to be lacking also. If they don't care, why should fans?

I think the players are competitive; it's just a different generation and the game has changed in a lot of ways. There's just so much analytics now that it's kinda gotten outta control. I mean I get it - they're using big data to get an edge and it's often effective but it kinda takes the human element out of the game.

I would rather play the Phillies than the Cardinals. Goldschmidt should be MVP over Freddie or the others. Albert is Albert. Wainwright could step up, as could Molina. Arenado is hot and cold. Jordan Montgomery is the only other pitcher I have concerns about facing on that roster, mainly because he came over from the Yankees and I don't believe we've faced him yet, but I may be wrong.

Montgomery has exceeded expectations, and only had to give up Harrison Bader for him. And guess who starts tomorrow? Jose Quintanna, the former Cub, who has also exceeded expectations. Cardinals have gotten a good season out of Milos Mikolas, as well as the 17 year veteran Wainwright. Who they really need to step up is Jack Flaherty, who was amazing last year, and just made it back from injury a few weeks ago.

Goldie, NL MVP for sure. Freeman has been good, that's for sure, but Goldie gets it.

If I recall, K.C is the only team to come back from 3-1 series deficits twice in a playoff to win a W.S.

George Brett absolutely destroyed us. Bobby Cox actually walked him with the bases loaded, giving up a free run. Now THAT is respect.

I think this is still correct. However, the 2012 SF Giants achieved nearly the same thing as they came back from an 0-2 deficit to beat Cincinnati in the divisional series and then overcame a 3-1 against St. Louis to win the NLCS en route to winning a championship (swept Detroit 4-0). I've watched St. Louis blow three 3-1 deficits in my lifetime: 3-1 against KC in 1985, 3-1 against Atlanta in the 1996 NLCS and 3-1 against SF in 2012.

And before my time they blew a 3-1 lead against Detroit in the 1968 WS. In fact the 1968 Cardinals may have been the best team they had in franchise history and they didn't win it. Maybe the best team in baseball history that didn't win the title. I guess you could argue the 1906 or 2001 Mariners deserve mention but the difference is that the Cardinals were the defending champs, and they had Detroit on the ropes with Bob Gibson having a season for the ages.

Montgomery has exceeded expectations, and only had to give up Harrison Bader for him. And guess who starts tomorrow? Jose Quintanna, the former Cub, who has also exceeded expectations. Cardinals have gotten a good season out of Milos Mikolas, as well as the 17 year veteran Wainwright. Who they really need to step up is Jack Flaherty, who was amazing last year, and just made it back from injury a few weeks ago.

Goldie, NL MVP for sure. Freeman has been good, that's for sure, but Goldie gets it.

I hate the new playoff format though. It's terrible. I don't think the Cards are necessarily the most deserving team this year but some team out there that's had a good year is gonna get burned and it sucks.

I hate the new playoff format though. It's terrible. I don't think the Cards are necessarily the most deserving team this year but some team out there that's had a good year is gonna get burned and it sucks.
Cards won their division and have to play as a wild card, thanks to 2 wild cards, instead of one. That helps out those teams with good seasons who wouldn't normally make the playoffs.

Brett was so amazing, both he and Mike Schmidt were drafted one player apart in the same draft. I think Brett went before him, both middle of the 1st round. Two of the best third basemen of all time.

Cards won their division and have to play as a wild card, thanks to 2 wild cards, instead of one. That helps out those teams with good seasons who wouldn't normally make the playoffs.

I certainly don't mind the expanded playoffs, but best 2 of 3? Come on, that's like the College World Series, lol. What'll they do next, play the WS in Omaha every year? lol

Forum List

Back