Jason Riley at Fox News, skews truth about Fast Track Trade Authority’s opposition

johnwk

Gold Member
May 24, 2009
On the Fox News’ “Journal Editorial Report”, Saturday June 20th, when asked why some conservatives are against Fast Track Trade Promotion Authority, panelist Jason Riley said it was because they don’t trust Obama.

What Fox News continues to ignore and covers up is, conservatives are against the currently proposed Fast Track Trade Promotion Authority because it unconstitutionally lowers the required approval vote for deals cooked up by any president from a two thirds required vote to a mere majority vote. And this has absolutely nothing to do with not trusting Obama or any president. It has to do with enforcing the language of our Constitution and the documented intentions and beliefs under which our Constitution was adopted.

Additionally, FTTA also unconstitutionally allows the president to assume Congress’ legislative functions with respect to making regulations of commerce. Those functions are, creating a bill to regulate commerce with foreign nations, debating that bill, amending that bill to reflect the states and people best interests, and then sending that bill to the president for his signature or veto. FTTA, in effect, allows the president to assume Congress’ legislative functions with respect to the making of regulations of commerce and leaves Congress with the president’s veto power

Finally, all bills raising revenue are, by our Constitution, to originate in the House of Representatives. The Pacific Rim deal, since it sets rules affecting tariffs, must originate in the House of Representatives and not in the Oval Office.

Why is Fox News unwilling to discuss the unconstitutionality of lowering the required approval vote for deals cooked up by any president from a two thirds required vote to a mere majority vote, in addition to its other unconstitutional features?

Why is Fox News so willing to allow the president to usurp Congress’ powers when it comes to making law regulating commerce with foreign nations, and leaving the states and people’s representatives stripped of their constitutionally assigned legislative functions?

JWK

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny. ___ Madison, Federalist Paper No. 47

informative so thanks plus I see no reason to give mrobama anything that he wants 'John' because I do not trust him .

informative so thanks plus I see no reason to give mrobama anything that he wants 'John' because I do not trust him .

We are told the Pacific Rim deal is not a treaty, and therefor does not require a two thirds approval vote to become enforceable law.

But, the irrefutable fact is, the Pacific Rim deal, bargain, treaty or whatever one wants to call it cannot become enforceable law without a two thirds approval vote. How do I know this to be true? Because our founders agreed that any deals cooked up by the president with foreign governments would have to receive a two thirds vote to become law!

As to the question, what is meant by a “treaty” let our founders speak for themselves.

In Federalist No. 64 Jay defines a treaty as a “bargain” . He writes:

”These gentlemen would do well to reflect that a treaty is only another name for a bargain, and that it would be impossible to find a nation who would make any bargain with us, which should be binding on them ABSOLUTELY, but on us only so long and so far as we may think proper to be bound by it.”

And in Federalist No. 75 Hamilton tells us with reference to a treaty, Its objects are CONTRACTS with foreign nations, which have the force of law…”

Finally, In Federalist No. 22 Hamilton talks about “a treaty of commerce” as follows:

”A nation, with which we might have a treaty of commerce, could with much greater facility prevent our forming a connection with her competitor in trade, though such a connection should be ever so beneficial to ourselves.”

The irrefutable fact is, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Free Trade Agreement falls within the meaning of a treaty as the word was used and understood by our founding fathers, and as such, requires a two thirds vote to become an enforceable contract, or bargain with the nations involved.

So why is Fox News ignoring the written text of our Constitution in addition to ignoring the meaning of "treaty" as our founders understood and used the word?

JWK

The whole aim of construction, as applied to a provision of the Constitution, is to discover the meaning, to ascertain and give effect to the intent of its framers and the people who adopted it.
_____HOME BLDG. & LOAN ASS'N v. BLAISDELL, 290 U.S. 398 (1934)

GOP leaders want to fuck people over for money more desperately than they want to screw the President. Simple math.

See:Corporations shell out $1.2mn in Senate contributions to fast-track TPP

“What the documents showed was that out of a total of nearly $1.2 million given, an average of $17,000 was donated to each of the 65 “yes” votes. Republicans received an average of $19,000 and Democrats received $9,700.

“It’s a rare thing for members of Congress to go against the money these days,” Mansur Gidfar, spokesman for the anti-corruption group Represent.Us, told the Guardian. “They know exactly which special interests they need to keep happy if they want to fund their re-election campaigns or secure a future job as a lobbyist.”

Here is a list of these traitorous dirt bags:

Alexander, Tenn.; Ayotte, N.H.; Barrasso, Wyo.; Blunt, Mo.; Boozman, Ark.; Burr, N.C.; Capito, W.V.; Cassidy, La.; Coats, Ind.; Cochran, Miss.; Corker, Tenn.; Cornyn, Texas; Cotton, Ark.; Crapo, Idaho; Cruz, Texas; Daines, Mont.; Ernst, Iowa; Fischer, Neb.; Flake, Ariz.; Gardner, Colo.; Graham, S.C.; Grassley, Iowa; Hatch, Utah; Heller, Nev.; Hoeven, N.D.; Inhofe, Okla.; Isakson, Ga.; Johnson, Wis.; Kirk, Ill.; Lankford, Okla.; McCain, Ariz.; McConnell, Ky.; Moran, Kan.; Murkowski, Alaska; Perdue, Ga.; Portman, Ohio; Risch, Idaho; Roberts, Kan.; Rounds, S.D.; Rubio, Fla.; Sasse, Neb.; Scott, S.C.; Sullivan, Alaska; Thune, S.D.; Tillis, N.C.; Toomey, Pa.; Vitter, La.; Wicker, Miss.

JWK

informative , thank you , course like I already said , I'm ready to wait a year and a half or so . Course , I have no power so just my opinion . Why give anything to 'mrobama' is my thought .

informative , thank you , course like I already said , I'm ready to wait a year and a half or so . Course , I have no power so just my opinion . Why give anything to 'mrobama' is my thought .

My primary concern is how Fast Track Trade Authority undermines our representative system of government and destroys the separation of powers written into our Constitution. But I do agree with you on Obama considering what he has already done to our country:

He has given aid and comfort to our enemies by releasing them from GITMO;

He has attempted to strike a deal with a hostile foreign nation behind closed doors and without the consent of the United State Senate being required as commanded by our Constitution;

He is allowing a thousand Islamic "refugees" into the U.S. each month without a requirement to renounce their allegiance to their country of origin, and swear an allegiance to the United States:

He has transferred America’s weapons of defense and military technology to hostile Islamic leaders [the Islamic Brother Hood];

He has stood by and allowed an Islamic terrorist state to move forward with producing the component parts for a nuclear arsenal;

He has allowed our southern border to be invaded by the poverty stricken populations of Mexico and Central America;

He has decided to prop up the communist government of Cuba by normalizing relations, which in turn will yield a needed infusion of money to strengthen this government’s iron fist around the necks of its citizens;

He has released thousands of criminal illegal aliens into our nation’s population;

He is responsible for undermining our election process by making it easy for ineligible persons to vote;

He has interfered with our nation’s ability to develop our natural resources, namely oil, coal and natural gas to fuel our economy;

He has worked to stifle America’s agricultural industry and ability to produce food under the guise of environmental necessity;

He has intentionally sabotaged our nation’s health care delivery system:

He has blatantly impinged upon the American People’s inalienable right to make their own choices and decisions regarding their health care and medical needs;

He is responsible for a dramatic increase in the number of people receiving food stamps;

He is responsible for a dramatic drop in fulltime employment;

He is responsible for a dramatic increase in the unemployment rate of our nation’s Black youth;

He has used the force of our federal government to tax the paychecks of hard working people living in our nation’s inner cities and then transferred $ billions from our federal treasury to his inner circle friends under the guise of “green energy” [Solyndra/Chevy Volt/Fisker, Exelon, etc.];

He has repeatedly circumvented our Republican Form of Government by issuing Executive Orders and memorandums;

He has stood by and allowed his Administration to use the force of the federal government to attack "conservatives" who dare to exercise their right to freedom of speech;

Who can truthfully deny Obama is intentionally attempting to destroy America from within?

JWK

When will the America People realize we have an Islamic cell operating out of our nation's White House? Will they come to this conclusion when Islamic terrorist activities begin in our southern Border States or cities like New York City?

My primary concern is how Fast Track Trade Authority undermines our representative system of government and destroys the separation of powers written into our Constitution. But I do agree with you on Obama considering what he has already done to our country:

He has attempted to strike a deal with a hostile foreign nation behind closed doors and without the consent of the United State Senate being required as commanded by our Constitution;

He is allowing a thousand Islamic "refugees" into the U.S. each month without a requirement to renounce their allegiance to their country of origin, and swear an allegiance to the United States:

He has transferred America’s weapons of defense and military technology to hostile Islamic leaders [the Islamic Brother Hood];

He has stood by and allowed an Islamic terrorist state to move forward with producing the component parts for a nuclear arsenal;

He has allowed our southern border to be invaded by the poverty stricken populations of Mexico and Central America;

He has decided to prop up the communist government of Cuba by normalizing relations, which in turn will yield a needed infusion of money to strengthen this government’s iron fist around the necks of its citizens;

He has released thousands of criminal illegal aliens into our nation’s population;

He is responsible for undermining our election process by making it easy for ineligible persons to vote;

He has interfered with our nation’s ability to develop our natural resources, namely oil, coal and natural gas to fuel our economy;

He has worked to stifle America’s agricultural industry and ability to produce food under the guise of environmental necessity;

He has blatantly impinged upon the American People’s inalienable right to make their own choices and decisions regarding their health care and medical needs;

He is responsible for a dramatic increase in the number of people receiving food stamps;

He is responsible for a dramatic increase in the unemployment rate of our nation’s Black youth;

He has used the force of our federal government to tax the paychecks of hard working people living in our nation’s inner cities and then transferred $ billions from our federal treasury to his inner circle friends under the guise of “green energy” [Solyndra/Chevy Volt/Fisker, Exelon, etc.];

He has repeatedly circumvented our Republican Form of Government by issuing Executive Orders and memorandums;

He has stood by and allowed his Administration to use the force of the federal government to attack "conservatives" who dare to exercise their right to freedom of speech;

Who can truthfully deny Obama is intentionally attempting to destroy America from within?

JWK

When will the America People realize we have an Islamic cell operating out of our nation's White House? Will they come to this conclusion when Islamic terrorist activities begin in our southern Border States or cities like New York City?

It couldn't be more obvious where his sympathies lie.

On the Fox News’ “Journal Editorial Report”, Saturday June 20th, when asked why some conservatives are against Fast Track Trade Promotion Authority, panelist Jason Riley said it was because they don’t trust Obama.

What Fox News continues to ignore and covers up is, conservatives are against the currently proposed Fast Track Trade Promotion Authority because it unconstitutionally lowers the required approval vote for deals cooked up by any president from a two thirds required vote to a mere majority vote. And this has absolutely nothing to do with not trusting Obama or any president. It has to do with enforcing the language of our Constitution and the documented intentions and beliefs under which our Constitution was adopted.

Additionally, FTTA also unconstitutionally allows the president to assume Congress’ legislative functions with respect to making regulations of commerce. Those functions are, creating a bill to regulate commerce with foreign nations, debating that bill, amending that bill to reflect the states and people best interests, and then sending that bill to the president for his signature or veto. FTTA, in effect, allows the president to assume Congress’ legislative functions with respect to the making of regulations of commerce and leaves Congress with the president’s veto power

Finally, all bills raising revenue are, by our Constitution, to originate in the House of Representatives. The Pacific Rim deal, since it sets rules affecting tariffs, must originate in the House of Representatives and not in the Oval Office.

Why is Fox News unwilling to discuss the unconstitutionality of lowering the required approval vote for deals cooked up by any president from a two thirds required vote to a mere majority vote, in addition to its other unconstitutional features?

Why is Fox News so willing to allow the president to usurp Congress’ powers when it comes to making law regulating commerce with foreign nations, and leaving the states and people’s representatives stripped of their constitutionally assigned legislative functions?

JWK

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny. ___ Madison, Federalist Paper No. 47
First let me say that I am with you on the constitutional question surrounding TPA. Made in the USA Foundation challenged the government on this issue in the 90's and lost. The 11th circuit court basically refused to hear the case because the executive and the legislative were working in concert. That seems completely absurd to me that the courts won't hear a constitutional challenge from the people against the government. Unfortunately we the people are seemingly asleep at the wheel and are accepting of this. Which brings me to your point about Fox news. They are not skewing anything, they are reporting how the people feel about TPA and it is evident in this thread as well. And they are not going to raise the constitutional question in any credible way because Fox news is part of the corporate structure that is for the trade agreements that will be implemented under the TPA and probably wishes to downplay the criticisms to TPA. IMO as I don't watch Fox news.

Last edited:

JWK

It couldn't be more obvious where his sympathies lie.

Agreed!

JWK

If we can make 51 percent of America’s population dependent upon an Obama, welfare, food stamp, section 8 housing, college loan check, and now free Obamacare along with FREE BACON, we can blackmail them for their vote, keep ourselves in power and keep the remaining portion of America’s productive population enslaved to pay the bills ____ Our Washington Establishment’s Free Cheese Democracy, designed to establish a federal plantation which redistributes wealth that wage earners, business and investors have worked to create.

JWK

Just in case nobody has told you yet today that you are nuts, I'll take care of that chore right now. YOU ARE NUTS!!!

JWK

free trade is great because it means we don't have to starve while trying to make everything ourselves. This legislation is especially great since we already let everyone sell stuff here but now this gives us the opportunity to sell stuff there.

Liberals oppose because they lack the IQ to understand free trade.

JWK

It's not usurping when done legally...

JWK

free trade is great because it means we don't have to starve while trying to make everything ourselves. This legislation is especially great since we already let everyone sell stuff here but now this gives us the opportunity to sell stuff there.

Yeah, that's why a liberal president wants a Free Trade Pact with Asia, he's against it....

I'm no liberal and no rino , very Conservative and I oppose giving mrobama anything because I don't trust him . Another 16 months , do it after he leaves . Why give him any victories . But yeah, I'm Conservative but going with the dems on this Edward !!

JWK

It would be great to finally be able to trade with other countries.
You won't believe the cool stuff that they make in other countries

Forum List

Back