Japan a thorn: US military presence abroad

Apr 28, 2009
The argument for US military presence abroad is its provision of stability in regions; military in Germany to stabilize central Europe, military in Japan to stabilize Eastern-Asia, etc. etc.

I decided to use Japan as the reference because Americans can tend to think the troop placement in Germany as silly, and subsequently think that of Japan.

I, however, say the deep seated hatred of nations around that Asian-Pacific Rim, have an obvious and good reason to hate Japan, and that subsequently is equally powerful a motivator in relations in Central Europe and thus military involvement there is equally justified.

For most Asians, they understand Emperor Showa, (Hirohito) was largely responsible for WW2. He was not some figure led around by militarists, but rather was an opportunist who used the militarist hardliners when he felt the military was needed, and toward the end of the war used the civilians against the militarists, and ordered the hardliners arrested when he felt the war should be ended.

When commenting on whether to continue the war or not (after the 2 Atomic Bombings); he suggested the war should be stopped, but if it meant a dramatic change in the national polity, the war should be continued at all costs.

Basically the Emperor was not willing to sue for peace, even after the atomic attacks, unless his own position was protected.

Numerous war crimes were committed because of the Emperor.

And the Emperor was never punished by others.

It is as if Hitler continued to occupy a seat of importance in Germany's government after the war.

Because of all these deep seated envies and hatreds, it will be necessary for the US to provide a military presence, not necessarily just a diplomatic one, if it is to keep the peace.

well...

US presence is indeed needed in Japan because Japan is genuinely hated by many Chinese and Koreans - due to what they've historically done and never really even apologized for (at least not in the eyes of the victims). I can see how US is needed in East Asia - to protect Japan from the rest (and to protect Taiwan). However, I'd also argue that Japan needs to get off the American high horse and needs to do some serious apologizing. Japanese arrogance in these matters is truly appalling - and US military is making it possible for the Japanese to behave like diplomatic teenagers.

When it comes to Germany... the US is way overdue there... there's no US force needed in Europe. Unless you argue that Russia might one day go bonkers... I guess they did prove they are well capable of that.

The emperor actually lost his position, he is no longer in control of Japan. He only has a symbolic title now, Japan is a democracy now very similar to the european democracies that also have royal families (the netherlands, the UK, Belgium, Spain, ...): most of their title is symbolic.

The Emperor was a symbolic figurehead leader during WWII....until it was a drop dead certainty that the militarists has screwed up so badly that Japan was about to be invaded.

The Emperor was a symbolic figurehead leader during WWII....until it was a drop dead certainty that the militarists has screwed up so badly that Japan was about to be invaded.

You re referring to the radio speech, right? I was a bit confused by it (with regard to the symbolic role of the emperor during WWII), but it seems that at the end of WWII it was the radio speech of the emperor that decided the surrender of Japan (despite the fact that some military/political leaders were trying to coup the nation)

Forum List

Back