Jacksonville Deputy arrested for beating handcuffed teen.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
In the fantasies of many of the cop defenders on the board, and in the world, cops are not only justified in using whatever force they feel like, but the baddies deserve it. In the real world, such attitudes increase the animosity that the citizens feel towards the police.

Strangely, I am actually impressed with the Police Response here. In another thread, I complained that the Sergeant tried to cover up for the abusive officer. In this thread, I am commending the Sergeant for not only refusing to cover up the actions, but for reporting them immediately. I wish this was the sort of behavior that happened more often, and while I hold out hope, it is not the kind of hope that burns bright, more like a dim almost extinguished flame.

Moreover, this is apparently the seventh cop arrested this year in Jacksonville. One can only assume that the majority of Jacksonville Cops have seen the way the wind is blowing with cameras prevalent in our society, and have decided to embrace this idea of honesty and acting properly. Of course, I know the dangers of assuming, but I am willing to give Jacksonville the benefit of some doubt here.

Officer arrested for beating handcuffed teen

The Sergeant did not wait for a complaint from the injured parties, he didn't wait for questions from superiors, he reported it immediately and named witnesses that would corroborate his story. The system acted with simply amazing speed. Normally such "investigations" into police actions take months at a minimum, or years is more likely, with complaints of rushed investigations for anything less than that. Things in Jacksonville may be changing for the better, and I believe we can all benefit when honesty and integrity are hand in hand with authority.

The prevention to corrupt authority is always accountability. Authority and Accountability must be equal, the forces balance each other out. If you hold me accountable, without the authority to accomplish whatever task I've been given, I can't succeed. If you give me authority, without accountability, then abuses are almost certain.

Power corrupts, and the more absolute the power, the more certain the corruption. Perhaps Jacksonville has learned this, and is adapting to this truth. If so, they will have my support.

In the fantasies of many of the cop defenders on the board, and in the world, cops are not only justified in using whatever force they feel like, but the baddies deserve it. In the real world, such attitudes increase the animosity that the citizens feel towards the police.

Strangely, I am actually impressed with the Police Response here. In another thread, I complained that the Sergeant tried to cover up for the abusive officer. In this thread, I am commending the Sergeant for not only refusing to cover up the actions, but for reporting them immediately. I wish this was the sort of behavior that happened more often, and while I hold out hope, it is not the kind of hope that burns bright, more like a dim almost extinguished flame.

Moreover, this is apparently the seventh cop arrested this year in Jacksonville. One can only assume that the majority of Jacksonville Cops have seen the way the wind is blowing with cameras prevalent in our society, and have decided to embrace this idea of honesty and acting properly. Of course, I know the dangers of assuming, but I am willing to give Jacksonville the benefit of some doubt here.

The Sergeant did not wait for a complaint from the injured parties, he didn't wait for questions from superiors, he reported it immediately and named witnesses that would corroborate his story. The system acted with simply amazing speed. Normally such "investigations" into police actions take months at a minimum, or years is more likely, with complaints of rushed investigations for anything less than that. Things in Jacksonville may be changing for the better, and I believe we can all benefit when honesty and integrity are hand in hand with authority.

The prevention to corrupt authority is always accountability. Authority and Accountability must be equal, the forces balance each other out. If you hold me accountable, without the authority to accomplish whatever task I've been given, I can't succeed. If you give me authority, without accountability, then abuses are almost certain.

Power corrupts, and the more absolute the power, the more certain the corruption. Perhaps Jacksonville has learned this, and is adapting to this truth. If so, they will have my support.

Keep up the good work.

Imagine what they got away with before cameras?

I have been physically abused by the police while in handcuffs.

Last edited:
This is, indeed, a good story.

I hope we see more of this type of stuff.

Having worked as a Deputy here is the facts. In the 60's the Progressives put into motion the fact that all Cops need to pass a shrink test to see if they are nuts. They really screwed up a pretty good system. You had to ride and work with a Senior Deputy who could have the guy fired for no reason. It took three hits to be fired. Probation worked well, this ended when the Shrinks got involved. You could spot the nuts and get rid of them. I have only taken the cuffs off one guy who threatened my family he backed down. End of story. I worked for the Dept, for 15 years the Sheriff sent all Sgts to go and take the so called test. We did this without the Shrink knowing we were long time Deputy Sheriffs with not complaints filed against us. I have 22 Civil commendation, 3 dept commendations. 11 formal Gov commendations. Please Note: We all failed the so call test. Depts are now facing shortages of personel because the job has gotten very dangerous and the training sucks. The pay is not that high for what they expect.

The problem with police in the U.S. resides mainly with their redundantly powerful unions, inadequate training and improper supervision.

I am basically pro-union. But the problem with police unions is in their periodic negotiations they settle for less accountability in place of salary or benefit increases. The result in many examples is the diluted and modified rules make it practically impossible to censure or punish a cop for even the most brazen misconduct or abuse of authority.

Having worked as a Deputy here is the facts. In the 60's the Progressives put into motion the fact that all Cops need to pass a shrink test to see if they are nuts. [...]

My late wife was a clinical psychologist. One of her close friends and colleagues was a forensic psychologist who sometimes worked for a major correction department interviewing officer candidates. In this fellow's opinion, except in examples of readily conspicuous pathology which are extremely rare, it is virtually impossible to make positive determinations regarding one's mental stability on the basis of a one hour interview, which is the allotted time per individual candidate.

So I believe your opinion that a probationary performance observation by a senior deputy will result in a more reliable indicator of a candidate's psychological stability and general suitability for police-work makes more sense than a one-hour observation by a PhD. That is provided the observing deputy does not harbor exactly the personal characteristics and performance standards a given police department is interested in eliminating.

In his well researched book, Rise Of The Warrior Cop, Radley Balko makes it clear that major problems in most police departments are the result of improperly motivated training officers and supervisory personnel.

Having worked as a Deputy here is the facts. In the 60's the Progressives put into motion the fact that all Cops need to pass a shrink test to see if they are nuts. They really screwed up a pretty good system. You had to ride and work with a Senior Deputy who could have the guy fired for no reason. It took three hits to be fired. Probation worked well, this ended when the Shrinks got involved. You could spot the nuts and get rid of them. I have only taken the cuffs off one guy who threatened my family he backed down. End of story. I worked for the Dept, for 15 years the Sheriff sent all Sgts to go and take the so called test. We did this without the Shrink knowing we were long time Deputy Sheriffs with not complaints filed against us. I have 22 Civil commendation, 3 dept commendations. 11 formal Gov commendations. Please Note: We all failed the so call test. Depts are now facing shortages of personel because the job has gotten very dangerous and the training sucks. The pay is not that high for what they expect.

A couple observations. First. Nothing in your reply has a damned thing to do with the subject of the thread. Second. Just because you were experienced doesn't mean you were sane. I offer your rambling irrelevant response as one example.

Forum List

Back