NVIDIA Graphics Card Updates

The graphics card company is EVGA. BIOS upgrade for the graphics card sounds like the way to go. Rather than remove the Hauppauge TV tuner or memory, I will go with the BIOS upgrade and then try to reload the 320 driver. Whatever the outcome, I will have learned a lot, made the day go faster, and possibly improve my old PC so it can keep ticking along for the next several years.

I've done that as well. Usually the fixes come. :)

The graphics card company is EVGA. BIOS upgrade for the graphics card sounds like the way to go. Rather than remove the Hauppauge TV tuner or memory, I will go with the BIOS upgrade and then try to reload the 320 driver. Whatever the outcome, I will have learned a lot, made the day go faster, and possibly improve my old PC so it can keep ticking along for the next several years.

I've done that as well. Usually the fixes come. :)

I checked the EVGA site. Even though you click on the BIOS tab, it just points me in the direction of the 320 update. I discovered that there is a BIOS update for the MSI GTX 660 TI, but with a warning that if you have only the 660 card, don't bother with it, because it is not the same. From what I can gather, there is no BIOS update out yet for my board. NVIDIA advises everyone not to update the BIOS because all the problems are fixed through their driver updates. Yeah, right. Usually more unforeseen problems are caused by each driver update.

Looks like other users are having trouble with driver 320.18, at least the users who get it to actually install. Maybe, I'm lucky that it never would install.

ATTENTION: BANS OF INNOCENT USERS - PLEASE READ AND REPORT - Project Reality Forums

This site above is some kind of gaming site. I don't play on line because of my satellite system.

Here are some more unhappy users:

NVIDIA 320.18 WHQL Update is a complete wreck.

That's all I'm going to post, but lots of gamers are having trouble with this new driver.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic - New nvidia drivers (320.18 WHQL) broke the client

Looks like other users are having trouble with driver 320.18, at least the users who get it to actually install. Maybe, I'm lucky that it never would install.

ATTENTION: BANS OF INNOCENT USERS - PLEASE READ AND REPORT - Project Reality Forums

This site above is some kind of gaming site. I don't play on line because of my satellite system.

That's all I'm going to post, but lots of gamers are having trouble with this new driver.

Well, at least this time it's not ATi drivers messing everything up.

New drivers always are being released in very short periods. Why do you need the current driver version now by all means?

I've had my issues with both but more with Ati. Still, this ASUS HD7850 has given 0 problems.
I have the same card. I have problems when using HDMI ( I prefer DVI but my Monitor offers VGA and HDMI only) in so far that - as soon as I install the Catalyst Engine Control Center - there is a big black frame around the picture and the picture itself was blurred. And with Win 8 I have it natively. Its the scaling option in the Control Center that solves that problem and you can adjust it for every refresh rate.

I've had my issues with both but more with Ati. Still, this ASUS HD7850 has given 0 problems.
I have the same card. I have problems when using HDMI ( I prefer DVI but my Monitor offers VGA and HDMI only) in so far that - as soon as I install the Catalyst Engine Control Center - there is a big black frame around the picture and the picture itself was blurred. And with Win 8 I have it natively. Its the scaling option in the Control Center that solves that problem and you can adjust it for every refresh rate.

It's been a perfect card for me. My (ASUS) version has two dvi, one hdmi and one display port. It's a dual display from on CPU Intel and the discreet video card (Monitor/TV). Considering the days of the Diamond Stealth 3d "Decellerator", I'm happy.

:D

I was finally able to install Driver 320.18 today. I searched for the error, "NVIDIA Intaller Failed", and I found a site where someone said that if you could rename the folder "UpdatusUser" you could install any driver that was refusing to install.

The folder UpdatusUser is located in the Users folder: c:\Users\UpdatusUser. I found the folder but was unable to rename it, since Windows 8 kept telling me that I needed administrator rights. I thought I was the administrator since I set up the operating system. Well, in the process of constantly trying to rename the folder, the folder disappeared. Try as I might I could no longer find the folder, "UpdatusUser." Undaunted, I went ahead one more time and tried to install Driver 320.18. This time it worked, mainly because at the time of today's installation UpdatusUser was not there to prevent the installation. I did discover that when the NVIDIA driver is installed, it automatically creates this folder.

Now, why this folder never interfered with my installation of the 310 driver doesn't make sense. I'm still somewhat confused as to what happened, but at least I now have the driver installed. It just appears to be the folder UpdatusUser that stops the advanced drivers, anything above 310 from being installed.

Last edited:
I thought I would bring back this discussion concerning my NVIDIA graphics card. I discovered that the reason certain drivers wouldn't load was because my hard drive was corrupted. I was recently watching a newly bought DVD on my PC and then the sound would all of a sudden cut out and the movie would drop frame rates. I should have taken a hint right there and started backing up everything, but I instead uninstalled and reinstalled my DVD Ultra 13. That didn't help. Two days ago as I booted up my Windows 8 PC, it went into diagnostic mode and then eventually a repair loop. Of course the repair loop didn't work, forcing me to completely reformat my hard drive. I am now busy replacing my software that will take awhile. I lost some very important files, and to make matters worse, my external hard drive would no longer work in its case. Last night, I removed the external hard drive from its casing. It turned to be IDE vs. SATA. Fortunately, my motherboard does have an IDE port, which is being used by my old Zip drive. I hooked up the external drive and was able to retrieve a lot of my pictures and really old files that I didn't want to lose. All is not lost, but to make a long story short, when any graphics card whether it's NVIDIA or ATI, refuses to accept new drivers, figure on the fact that your hard drive is corrupted, start backing up, and then reformat the hard drive and start over. According to Zone Alarm, I didn't have any viruses, but I sure had one corrupted hard drive.

Last edited:
Have you tried taking ownership of the folder?

Take Ownership of a File or Folder

The explanation you supplied only applies to Windows 7, not Windows 8. I looked at that as far as I could go and compare it with Windows 8, and it appears that I already have ownership and control of this folder.

I hope that is not a permanent ban and you can come back and reply to this post.

There is virtually no difference between Window 7 and 8 beyond the interface. The file system and administrative tools of 8 are identical to 7. From Vista on, this is all Longhorn, and behaves as Longhorn. Permissions, taking ownership, etc. all work the same.

I thought I would bring back this discussion concerning my NVIDIA graphics card. I discovered that the reason certain drivers wouldn't load was because my hard drive was corrupted. I was recently watching a newly bought DVD on my PC and then the sound would all of a sudden cut out and the movie would drop frame rates. I should have taken a hint right there and started backing up everything, but I instead uninstalled and reinstalled my DVD Ultra 13. That didn't help. Two days ago as I booted up my Windows 8 PC, it went into diagnostic mode and then eventually a repair loop. Of course the repair loop didn't work, forcing me to completely reformat my hard drive. I am now busy replacing my software that will take awhile. I lost some very important files, and to make matters worse, my external hard drive would no longer work in its case. Last night, I removed the external hard drive from its casing. It turned to be IDE vs. SATA. Fortunately, my motherboard does have an IDE port, which is being used by my old Zip drive. I hooked up the external drive and was able to retrieve a lot of my pictures and really old files that I didn't want to lose. All is not lost, but to make a long story short, when any graphics card whether it's NVIDIA or ATI, refuses to accept new drivers, figure on the fact that your hard drive is corrupted, start backing up, and then reformat the hard drive and start over. According to Zone Alarm, I didn't have any viruses, but I sure had one corrupted hard drive.

An IDE drive on a Windows 8 machine? How old is the box?

For the last 7 or 8 years, most motherboards have had a single IDE port, to support older optical devices, but in the last year, I've seen few that support even the single port. The the 600 MBPS transfer rates of SATA-3, it makes no sense to use the outdated interface. Hard drives are cheap these days, $60 will get you a terabyte. The average home user should upgrade their drives every 3 to 5 years. Newer drives have what is called "SMART" that will alert you to drive issues.

S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Whenever there is data/stack corruption I test memory and then drives.

For the last 7 or 8 years, most motherboards have had a single IDE port, to support older optical devices, but in the last year, I've seen few that support even the single port. The the 600 MBPS transfer rates of SATA-3, it makes no sense to use the outdated interface. Hard drives are cheap these days, $60 will get you a terabyte. The average home user should upgrade their drives every 3 to 5 years. Newer drives have what is called "SMART" that will alert you to drive issues.

I'm one of those people who tends to hang on to the old technology. My motherboard is an ASUS P5Q with DDR2 RAM. I built the PC in 2009. Yeah, I've thought about building a new one. It was a real pain to install Windows 8. I'd get to where I was almost there, and it would hang up. I then had to flash the BIOS for Windows 7, since Windows 8 wasn't around 4 years ago. After I did that, then the software loaded up quite nicely. I have noticed that if you ignore the useless metro squares, there is not much difference between Windows 7 and 8.

Whenever there is data/stack corruption I test memory and then drives.

From what I could glean off the geek sites, a lot of folks are having the same problems I was having and are all blaming NVIDIA. It's not NVIDIA's fault. It's all the rest of us geeks refusing to admit our hard drives are corrupted.

Oh, you'll also enjoy the fact that I am running an IOMEGA 100 megabyte zip drive on my PC. I use it as a backup for the small stuff. It sure turned out to be more reliable than my MAXTOR, alias Seagate external backup drive.

I definitely would like to upgrade, but my requirements are stringent. I have to have at least 3 PCI slots, IDE ports, and at least a Firewire slot. That's why I got the ASUS 4 years ago. I suppose I will stay with ASUS when I upgrade and probably get an I-5 processor. What do you think? I know, I'm going to cringe at your answer.

Forum List

Back