Windows 8 hands on.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Uncensored2008, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,788
    Anyone who has read my other threads knows I'm not a big fan of the pre-release Windows 8. But a couple of events have moved me to a deployment. My wife had an issue on her email, where an apparent spambot was present (turned out not to be the case) AND she was intrigued by Windows 8. So I agreed to update her Vista 32 to Windows 8.

Her machine;

Asus 5120 Motherboard
    Intel E8400 Core2
    4 GB DDR2
    SATA 2 1TB 7200RPM (WD)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 1.2GB DDR5

A little bit older, but a competent machine with a good graphics card.

The upgrade:

Windows 8 Pro, Retail 32bit

What should have happened is a straight upgrade, with all applications intact. But that isn't what went down. Instead, it did a migration. The old install was moved to Windows.Old - trashing all the program installs. Mostly this was Office 2010. Oddly enough, both the documents and picture folders were migrated. I'll put Office 2013 on tonight and pray that I can migrate the .OST from Outlook without issue.

Basic result, despite no Office, Windows 8 did surprisingly well at hardware. It loaded Detonator drivers for the GTX, found the Lexmark Genesis USB printer. Did not find the Brother printer on the LAN. Found the Steel Series mouse, but installed generic drivers. Installed SATA 2 and USB 2 drivers. Retained drive mappings to other machines on the network.

Performance.

It's a clean install, though it shouldn't have been. Performance is good. Very rapid boot for a mechanical drive. Still a LOT of drive activity after the initial boot, but the machine seems responsive enough - which Vista was not. I still hate Metro and find application launch to be a pain in the ass, but the applications I've tried run alright. Steam needed to be repaired, but did so without issue. Acrobat runs without issue. I lost Chrome in the update, and will have to reload it. IE 10 is responsive and clean. I easily dumped Bing and switched to Google. Some of the live tiles are actually kind of cool. After browsing photos, one tile became a slide show. After visiting Sharky Extreme, another tile started showing headlines from the site.

I'll post more as I live with supporting it more.

2. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,360
    I like Windows 8. The new tablets/ultrabooks running windows 8 are awesome. I love how touch is integrated into the OS. I'm also looking forward to checking out Windows Phone 8 when a device drops on Verizon

3. Uncensored2008

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,788
    The touch screen is the focus. The question is how this plays on the desktop, particularly those who don't have touch screens. Metro is not particularly mouse friendly. The next question is with a tablet focus, will Microsoft be able to break into the arena dominated by Android (Linux) and Apple? With 75% of the tablet market belonging to Android, and virtually all of the rest going to iPad, it's tough to see a niche for Microsoft in there.

4. Uncensored2008

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,788
    UPDATE:

So I put Office 2013 on the wife's machine. I did not need to migrate the .OST, as once installed, all mail and contacts appeared in Outlook.

WHAT this means, is that a Windows 8 migration is either not compatible with Microsoft's flagship Office 2010, or the upgrade process is so poorly designed that it can't even migrate an Office install.

My suspicion is that Microsoft is trying to sell office upgrades. I don't know, though. I suspect I could have reinstalled 2010 without issue, but as an MSDN member, I get the software for testing at no additional charge. So may as well give 2013 a run.

I tested performance on the most basic level using Torchlight II. Under Vista 32, the machine held a steady FPS of 84 @ 1920 x 1200 with FSAA at 2X and default anisotropic filtering. After the upgrade, the settings remained the same, which was nice, and I got - wait for it - 84 FPS. This shows that the video card and NVidia drivers have a lot more impact than the operating system does - at least on Torchlight II. I'll run Vantage a little later, maybe on the weekend, for a more comprehensive test.

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    I don't understand why anyone would want Win8 on a desktop.
    Touchscreen capability is what the entire GUI is premised on....I have read a good dozen articles/blogs on Win 8 by folks I consider unbiased (not saying you are)...everyone seems to agree - it is solid IF you have a touchscreen device - it sucks if you don't because the mouse interface is not what it was designed for.
    I have also read that the fast boot up is a farce because Win8 does not shut down, but puts the computer into hibernate instead....as well as some older laptops won't recover from hibernate forcing users to hold in the power button to reboot.
    Just sayin

6. Uncensored2008

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,788
    And yet my wife just loves it. The smart tiles have captured her commonly used applications without the need to create shortcuts and she says the whole thing feels more natural to her.

That's been my opinion thus far as well, but she doesn't agree. I'm sticking to Windows 7, I have no plans to migrate.

Exactly, the only way to really test the boot speed is to pull the power cord.

People get way too caught up in boot times. Vista had a feature called "Super Fetch" which pre-cached common applications at boot time. This slowed the boot down, but vastly improved application launch speed. Microsoft pulled it in Windows 7 to increase boot speed, at the cost of application performance.

7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    There are several youtube videos where you can makes Win 7 look and act just like Win 8 in about 5 minutes by following 6-7 simple steps....this is Win 7.

8. Uncensored2008

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,788
    Last thing I want is for Windows 7 to act like Metro.

Aero is the efficient and effective user interface I've yet encountered, I have very little that I would change about it.

9. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    Me either.
    My wifes laptop is Win 7 and it's interface is just fine.
    Course you know all of my boxes are Linux Mint...but that is another thread.

10. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,360
    Consumers can be fickle and with MS marketing campaign it could really become relevant in the Tablet/Mobile space. This is strictly opinion of course but I do feel like there is room for another OS and if anyone can do it, it will be Microsoft. We shall see