NVIDIA Graphics Card Updates

XPostFacto

VIP Member
May 17, 2013
The Sticks
Here's my dilemma. I have an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 video card with 2 Gigs of Video RAM. I have installed the graphics driver from the CD which accompanied the card. The driver is Version 306.38. After installing all the software, which came with the card, I was notified of an update: Version 320.18. I downloaded the driver, but while trying to install it, I was met with the error stating that the driver could not be installed. I uninstalled the original 306.38 driver and tried again. I still could not install the update. I then tried to install Version 314.22. I again received the same error that the driver could not be installed.

I have Windows 8 professional. My motherboard is an ASUS P5Q with an Intel P45 chipset. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q9400 CPU at 2.66 Ghz. I have 8 gigs of DDR2 RAM. Hard drive is a Seagate 1 TB.

At this point in time, I am at a loss to discover why I am unable to update this graphics card. My games play well with no hiccups. I am just going to have to continue without updating the graphics card.

I have updated my BIOS to Windows 7. There are no BIOS updates for my motherboard that address Windows 8, since Windows 8 is so new at this time. More than likely ASUS will not create any more updates for this motherboard.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong, or whether perhaps my motherboard is too outdated to interface well with the new graphics update for my video card?

Last edited:
If it's a new purchase, try calling tech support at NVIDIA.

It's a new purchase. I have noticed from other geek sites that others are having similar problems, but in theirs, the install won't even start. My install starts but then fails.

Now, when I upgraded to Windows 8, I did a clean install, but it took me 2 weeks of on again off again headaches. It was only after I updated the BIOS on my motherboard, that I was able to install Windows 8 without any problems. With all the problems I have had with Windows 8, I wouldn't be surprised that it is indeed Windows 8's incompatibility with mostly every bit of hardware that is out there.

While the Nvidia site generally does a pretty good job of detecting your OS, be aware that there are separate 64 and 32 bit variants of the drivers. The 320.18 drivers are the latest WHQL certified. Make sure that if you use Window 8, 64 bit, that you install the 64 bit Nvidia driver.

You might also try a driver cleaner to clear out old drivers;

Download Driver Cleaner Professional For Free - MajorGeeks

While the Nvidia site generally does a pretty good job of detecting your OS, be aware that there are separate 64 and 32 bit variants of the drivers. The 320.18 drivers are the latest WHQL certified. Make sure that if you use Window 8, 64 bit, that you install the 64 bit Nvidia driver.

You might also try a driver cleaner to clear out old drivers;

Download Driver Cleaner Professional For Free - MajorGeeks

I'm running Windows 8 64 bit, and the NVIDIA update app should have been programmed to tell the difference between 64 and 32 bit, but you know how that goes. I have downloaded the same graphics driver several times from different sites, which did allow me to specify whether 32 or 64 bit. Initially, I thought I just got a bad download, but I have had to rule that out.

I installed the Driver Cleaner. Thanks for the heads up on that one, but I'm not going to run that just yet. I will wait maybe tomorrow and uninstall the 306 driver and see if there is any residue left. I uninstalled everything this morning. I even went into the registry and removed any references to NVIDIA, but I still had the same problem.

I guess I could call NVIDIA, but I don't hold out much hope. I will probably get some character from New Delhi, who is practicing his English on me. That's how my luck runs with help desk techs. I often end up teaching them about what they are supposed to be helping me on.

Did you clean install using the Nvidia clean install option after the sweep?

I did the Express Install. Then I did the Custom Install where it asks you to click on the clean install box. The only one I haven't done is to uninstall my driver and run the app I just downloaded here, and then go back and do the install for 320 again. Somehow, I get the stinking suspicion that I will be wasting my time, again.

Several weeks ago, I ran a troubleshooting app, and it said I had the wrong graphics adapter. Well, if that's the case, then this is on NVIDIA's end because they have released a driver that is incompatible with the GTS 660 graphics adapter. One size doesn't fit all. So, i will just sit back and see what NVIDIA can come up with in the future.

I did the Express Install. Then I did the Custom Install where it asks you to click on the clean install box. The only one I haven't done is to uninstall my driver and run the app I just downloaded here, and then go back and do the install for 320 again. Somehow, I get the stinking suspicion that I will be wasting my time, again.

Several weeks ago, I ran a troubleshooting app, and it said I had the wrong graphics adapter. Well, if that's the case, then this is on NVIDIA's end because they have released a driver that is incompatible with the GTS 660 graphics adapter. One size doesn't fit all. So, i will just sit back and see what NVIDIA can come up with in the future.

You might want to do a safe mode prune of your enumerated previous graphics drivers. You may be experiencing a stack corruption of the re-enumeration with so many install/removals.

How to Delete Hardware on Windows 7

This works with Windows 8 as well.

Then a reboot into normal mode and a new installation using a right-click on the Nvidia executable and choosing "Run as Administrator". (just in case there's permission issues)

That's what I'd try. First I would make sure my on cpu graphics unit was disabled in BIOS. That's a just in case there's a gpu 'sniffing' failure. It's a bit doubtful, but possible.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try the Microsoft fix it center.

Microsoft Fix it Center Online

Thanks, Ropey for those options.

I just did an uninstall of my drivers. Then I ran the driver cleaner software I downloaded today. That software merely cleans out any reference to NVIDIA in the registry. I tried to install 320.18, but still got the install failure. I have also sent a tech failure message to NVIDIA. More than likely, they are going to cop out and tell me the culprit is my motherboard, since it is "so old." Well, it is still usable because if I can play Crysis 3 on that computer, it is not yet that old.

Since I have a satellite internet system, I'm going to have to wait until 2:00 AM to download an old legacy driver, version 310.90 WHQL. I will see if that one will work because I too think that my motherboard may be the problem so I'm going to have to search for a driver that will work, until I upgrade my motherboard in 3 or 4 years. I tend to like to tweak things to make them last.

I also don't have a built-in graphics adapter on my motherboard so I don't have to worry about any conflicts there.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ropey for those options.

I just did an uninstall of my drivers. Then I ran the driver cleaner software I downloaded today. That software merely cleans out any reference to NVIDIA in the registry. I tried to install 320.18, but still got the install failure. I have also sent a tech failure message to NVIDIA. More than likely, they are going to cop out and tell me the culprit is my motherboard, since it is "so old." Well, it is still usable because if I can play Crysis 3 on that computer, it is not yet that old.

Since I have a satellite internet system, I'm going to have to wait until 2:00 AM to download an old legacy driver, version 310.90 WHQL. I will see if that one will work because I too think that my motherboard may be the problem so I'm going to have to search for a driver that will work, until I upgrade my motherboard in 3 or 4 years. I tend to like to tweak things to make them last.

I love tweaking but it's more to make them run faster. I had the P5Q with an e8400 @ 4.0Ghz. They're great boards and I agree that it should last years yet. Did you try running an install in compatibility mode?

Right clicking on the executable and selecting properties will bring up the properties splash. If you choose the "compatibility tab" and then choose to run the executable in compatibility mode for windows 7, you may be able to tweak a way through.

Maybe entering Windows in Driver Compatibility mode before the compatibility install is another possibility.

XPostFacto said:
Gskill memory, 4 sticks of 2 Gigs.

The Bios seems to recognize it on boot up, and I have had no other issues with it. Then again, I am open for any suggestion I can get.

4 sticks means both banks of memory are filled.

You might have a memory bank population issue. What's the speed of the memory? The 2.66Ghz CPU is running on a 266 x 2 = 533Mhz Dimms of DDR @ 1066Mhz.

But when you fill all four slots of that board then you're taxing a memory controller that was already a bit suspect.

The general rule of thumb in such a case is to drop one speed bin when you populate all four banks. You also need to be sure that you set the memory command rate to 2T (2N).

Now the BIOS update likely smoothed the memory timing up so that you're not getting memory corruption errors anymore, but there might be issues at the higher levels of the memory if the command rate is unsteady.

XPostFacto said:
Gskill memory, 4 sticks of 2 Gigs.

The Bios seems to recognize it on boot up, and I have had no other issues with it. Then again, I am open for any suggestion I can get.

4 sticks means both banks of memory are filled.

You might have a memory bank population issue. What's the speed of the memory? The 2.66Ghz CPU is running on a 266 x 2 = 533Mhz Dimms of DDR @ 1066Mhz.

But when you fill all four slots of that board then you're taxing a memory controller that was already a bit suspect.

The general rule of thumb in such a case is to drop one speed bin when you populate all four banks. You also need to be sure that you set the memory command rate to 2T (2N).

Now the BIOS update likely smoothed the memory timing up so that you're not getting memory corruption errors anymore, but there might be issues at the higher levels of the memory if the command rate is unsteady.

Wow! I thought I was pretty good with computers, my weak point being when you start talking about assembly language, timing and all those CAS and RAS latency speeds.:eek:

I will definitely pop the covers and remove 4 gigs of RAM.

Also, thanks for jarring my memory. The speed of my memory is 1066. I had a feeling I should have upgraded to 2 sticks of 4 gigs vs. 4 sticks of 2. The only problem is that DDR2 RAM is more expensive up there in the 4 gig range. That is all to convince folks to swap out their motherboards so they can go to DDR3 RAM.

Well, I downloaded Version 310.90, and that driver successfully installed on my PC. I also know that Version 311.06 will also install because I found that on my computer several weeks ago. More than likely, I got that driver through the Windows 8 installation system. I will continue my research and see how things work out. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

You might want to do a safe mode prune of your enumerated previous graphics drivers. You may be experiencing a stack corruption of the re-enumeration with so many install/removals.

Honestly Ropey, it's safer and cleaner for him to just run Drive Cleaner, the results are the same.

This works with Windows 8 as well.

Then a reboot into normal mode and a new installation using a right-click on the Nvidia executable and choosing "Run as Administrator". (just in case there's permission issues)

That's what I'd try. First I would make sure my on cpu graphics unit was disabled in BIOS. That's a just in case there's a gpu 'sniffing' failure. It's a bit doubtful, but possible.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try the Microsoft fix it center.

Microsoft Fix it Center Online

That's an important point.

On most newer motherboards, onboard is disabled if a card is in the PCI-E16 slot. But if it is an SLI board, the Nvidia card could be in a secondary slot, keeping the BIOS from seeing it - thus keeping the onboard activated.

I agree that manually turning it off is a good idea.

You might want to do a safe mode:redface: prune of your enumerated previous graphics drivers. You may be experiencing a stack corruption of the re-enumeration with so many install/removals.

Honestly Ropey, it's safer and cleaner for him to just run Drive Cleaner, the results are the same.

To each their own. I just use the M$ included tools when available. I've had issues in the past with cleaning programs.

I've never had issues with using the M$ method to delete unused devices.

So, I'll stick with it and I'll likely continue to advise the M$ method. You can advise the Drive Cleaner and then both avenues are crossed.

More options are better imo.

There is also a great cleaner called CCleaner or Crap Cleaner. You can get it here:

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

It's a free download, or you can buy the advanced version. I used to use it for awhile until I got a virus from an old copy I had installed. I didn't carry it over when I upgraded to Windows 8, but I will tell you that it is a good program, but be careful when you use it to clean the registry. Make sure you back up your registry. I didn't and ended up with some strange problems, afterwards, involving some strange errors about missing files.

Well, this graphics card is designed to work with SLI, but I don't have a SLI motherboard. I researched that some years back when I put my present PC together and concluded that one card was the best way to go. Besides, I have a Hauppauge HD TV tuner in one of the spare regular PCI slots. That was the only reason I bought an ASUS motherboard because they do have extra expansion slots. When you employ these heavy duty graphics cards, the graphics processor will extend over and block one or two expansion slots. Since the ASUS had 5 expansion slots, and all I needed was at least 2 free slots, then the ASUS was the right choice.

Also, Ropey, I checked the BIOS for that 2T or 2N setting, but the BIOS on my motherboard is set for auto or manual, so I decided to leave everything in auto and let it find its way.

Incidentally, I have still not heard from NVIDIA regarding my problem with that driver. It may have been either a dead link, or they know something was wrong with the driver and may be hiding out.

Well, this graphics card is designed to work with SLI, but I don't have a SLI motherboard. I researched that some years back when I put my present PC together and concluded that one card was the best way to go. Besides, I have a Hauppauge HD TV tuner in one of the spare regular PCI slots. That was the only reason I bought an ASUS motherboard because they do have extra expansion slots. When you employ these heavy duty graphics cards, the graphics processor will extend over and block one or two expansion slots. Since the ASUS had 5 expansion slots, and all I needed was at least 2 free slots, then the ASUS was the right choice.

Also, Ropey, I checked the BIOS for that 2T or 2N setting, but the BIOS on my motherboard is set for auto or manual, so I decided to leave everything in auto and let it find its way.

Incidentally, I have still not heard from NVIDIA regarding my problem with that driver. It may have been either a dead link, or they know something was wrong with the driver and may be hiding out.

I would think the BIOS update auto configured the command rate with all four slots. It likely loosened the timings.

If you can use an earlier driver without issue and if there's no special fix in the newer driver then it's all just some tinkering fun anyway and with system imaging, it's all fun for system tweakers.

Maybe a bios fix for the card?

What's the actual company OEM? EVGA or...?

The graphics card company is EVGA. BIOS upgrade for the graphics card sounds like the way to go. Rather than remove the Hauppauge TV tuner or memory, I will go with the BIOS upgrade and then try to reload the 320 driver. Whatever the outcome, I will have learned a lot, made the day go faster, and possibly improve my old PC so it can keep ticking along for the next several years.

Forum List

Back