It's the 111th congress, but we've had 112 congressional transitions...why?

Congress was created before there were leap years. This created a flux in the time epochs which resulted in Congress experiencing an additional transition period. It will resolve itself in the next 1000 years.

Congress was created before there were leap years. This created a flux in the time epochs which resulted in Congress experiencing an additional transition period. It will resolve itself in the next 1000 years.

You will lose credit with this answer!

The only thing I can think of is the 1st transition is being counted as the transtion from the last congress under the Articles of Confederation to the first congress under the constitution. That's the only way I can come up with 112 congressional transitions.

I suppose that depends on which house of Congress we are talking about.

I know back in 2001, we had a second transition in the Senate because of Senator Jeffords, switching from Republican to Independent and caucusing with the Democrats which resulted in control transfering from Republican to Democrat.

Other than that, I have no clue unless they are counting the Congress under the Articles of Confederation, which im not terribly familiar with.

I know back in 2001, we had a second transition in the Senate because of Senator Jeffords, switching from Republican to Independent and caucusing with the Democrats which resulted in control transfering from Republican to Democrat.

Other than that, I have no clue unless they are counting the Congress under the Articles of Confederation, which im not terribly familiar with.
What the heck??

You think a switch in parties alters the Congress session??

All the sessions of Congress:
Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives All Congresses

Not sure, but it may have something to do with this date being changed:

The Constitution (Article I, Section 4) originally provided that "The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by law appoint a different day."

Pursuant to a resolution of the Congress of the Confederation in 1788, the first session of the First Congress under the Constitution convened March 4, 1789.
Up to and including May 20, 1820, 18 acts were passed providing for the meeting of Congress on other days in the year.

The first and second sessions of the First Congress were held in New York City. Subsequently, Philadelphia was the meeting place through the first session of the Sixth Congress and, since then, Congress has covened in Washington, D.C.

The 20th Amendment to the Constitution, proclaimed as ratified February 6, 1933, established noon on the 3rd day of January as the meeting date, unless the Congress by law appoints a different day.

Last edited:

What the heck??

It's a transition in government genius.

What the heck??

It's a transition in government genius.
No. It's not. Not in regards to the Congressional Sessions.

Duh.

If you had thought through that for more than a minute, you'd have to ponder the fact that never before Jeffords, in all the other sessions, in all our entire history, did any other congressperson switch parties.

Which is ludicrous.

The question wasn't about the party control of Congress.

Genius.

Last edited:
The government of the United States from 1781 to 1789 was the Congress of the Confederation. When the US Constitution was ratified, there was a transition from the Confederation Congress to the Constitutional Congress. However, just as we count our Presidents from George Washington, who was the first President under the Constitution, we number our Congresses from the first Constitutional Congress.

Forum List

Back