It's Official: Trump Appeals $355 Million Ruling in New York Civil Fraud Case -- February 26, 2024

So?

Not a requirement or a part of the case.

The state showed the persistent fraudulent and illegal business practices. That was the relevant part of the case.

WW
sure it is, they didn't bring charges. still living in Venezuela huh?

All findings are "punitive" when viewed by the defendant.
This penalty is punitive to any objective observer.
Kokesh had to do with limitations on the SEC under federal law, but this is a state law case and they Judge was very careful to base the amount using a process testified to by an expert witness.
A State cannot over-ride the Federal Statute of limitations on civil actions, that's a USSC ruling. Even if you win the argument for the penalty, you can't reach back prior to 2018 without running into the 8th amendment.
I said earlier in this thread (or one of the others on the subject), I could see the amount being reduced maybe 15-30%, but the case is unlikely to be overturned the facts. Oh and the barring of being a corporate officer for 3-years will likely be upheld as a punitive action.

WW
I would say SCOTUS has been increasingly skeptical of civil asset forfeitures in recent years, and I read that they are looking for a case to better clarify what is and isn't permissible in that area.

They've made some pretty unfavorable comments about the increasing use of disgorgement and civil forfeitures as funding sources for agencies and local governments.

I also think that whatever happens at this appeal, the loser will appeal to the Court of Appeals, and the loser there will appeal to the USSC and that's where it will be settled.

The eighth amendment to the constitution forbids excessive fines and forfeitures in civil cases. The SCOTUS already ruled (9-0) on this in Timbs vs Indiana (2019). The state cannot assess excessive fines.

Trump will win on that alone.

I love it!!!! :)

I don’t care what you are sarcastically sure of.

Obviously, you aren’t able to address it yourself. And that’s ok. But, then, maybe I merely overestimated you.
This is an internet chatboard. Your brilliant legal analysis appears wasted. I know there were were law firms and judges involved but you have definitely clarified the issue. You should work up the appeal.

oh cool, so who is the victim?
More ignorance from the right.

‘[Trump] believes there should be no case because "there was no crime".
[…]
Under this New York statute, however, the attorney general did not have to show that there were victims, only that Mr Trump committed ongoing fraud.’

This is an internet chatboard. Your brilliant legal analysis appears wasted. I know there were were law firms and judges involved but you have definitely clarified the issue. You should work up the appeal.
We had a financial institution that said there’s no issue. How do you get passed no victim?

More ignorance from the right.

‘[Trump] believes there should be no case because "there was no crime".
[…]
Under this New York statute, however, the attorney general did not have to show that there were victims, only that Mr Trump committed ongoing fraud.’

What was the fraud? Who did it hurt

No. In James' calculation Trump enriched himself by ca 250 million dollars by falsifying business records and Trump couldn't prove otherwise
How so? He had to repay the loan! The bank made the money

Zzz

I know it’s a message board.

I thought you did too.

But since you’re got no game, you just go with your lame ass sarcasm.

Forum List

Back