Italy Convicts "US Agents"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Political Junky, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,543
    Italy convicts 'U.S. agents' in CIA kidnap trial - CNN.com

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Two dozen Americans -- most thought to work for the CIA -- were sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday by an Italian court for their role in the seizing of a suspected terrorist off the streets of Milan in 2003, Italian media reported.
    They did not appear for trial and are not in custody, but the ruling could effectively make them international fugitives.
    The trial was the first to deal with a practice that human rights groups call "extraordinary rendition," and they say the United States has often sent suspects to countries that practice torture.
    Washington acknowledges making secret "rendition" transfers of terrorism suspects between countries but denies using torture or handing suspects over to countries that do.
    The case centered on the extraordinary rendition of a Muslim cleric, Osama Mustafa Hassan Nasr, or Abu Omar. <more>

2. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    As much as I don't agree with it I have to admit that it is their country and if they decide to convict people for abducting their citizens then that is their right. On the other hand, it is our right to revoke any special privalages that italian citizens get in this country and I think we should start revoking them immediatly.

3. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    Wonder what the Italians would do if they had a 9-11? Personally I don't care what the CIA does to keep up safe. For my money they can kill all terrorists on site. After all, the terrorists would kill any Americans or if they could, we would have another 9-11.

Italy and the rest of Europe can kiss my ass. The only time they want to see America is when they need money or they need someone to shed blood for them. Europe, with a few exceptions, will do nothing to fight terrorism unless it lands in their back yard. They depend on the good ol U.S. of A to do the fighting for them. The next time somebody goosesteps across Europe, they can handle it themselves.

Our so called Allies will do nothing unless we lead the way. Unless we provide the manpower, blood and lets not forget the money.

4. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I agree with this. We should have a kill and depart policy where agents kill and then depart the country to avoid prosecutions.

5. ThePickledPunk

ThePickledPunk BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Im sure our brave agents are trembling at the thought

6. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Did they break Italian Law inside the Italian Government's Jurisdiction?

If they did, Italy is entirely within their rights to arrest and prosecute. It isn't a matter of liking Italy's decision, its a matter of Italian Sovreignty.

7. Mr. Capitalism

Mr. Capitalism Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Yes. Nor would I want say Russian agents snatching up people on American streets and shipping them off regardless of their cause.

8. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,724
    The CIA violated Italian law, and we are better of as humankind when we operate by rule of law rather than rule of man.

We need to remember that rendition occured under the Clinton administration as well.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Meanwhile, back in the real world.......

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    He's got a point. Rendition opens up a huge can of worms. Will you be ok with the idea of the Russians abducting off the streets Americans they think are co-conspirators with the Georgian resistance movement? How about Chinese abducting students that are taking part in pro-democracy movements? Iranians abducting Christians that support missionaries to Islamic countries?

Once you open that door, a lot of really bad stuff can come through it.