Israel's Druze Conscientious Objectors

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Israel's Druze conscientious objectors
Though over-represented in the Israeli military, some men from the Druze community refuse to serve.

Dana Ballout Last updated: 08 Jan 2014 20:04
Omar Saad, an 18-year-old Druze man from northern Israel, was released on Wednesday from his second term in prison for refusing conscription into the Israeli army.

He is expected to return to prison on January 12, and like other conscientious objectors before him, Saad's continued rejection could lead to several more prison terms before being released for good.

Netanyahu's comment came in response to a highly publicised incident last month in which Druze soldiers were denied access to the Dimona nuclear site for a military drill, while fellow Jewish soldiers were waved in. Israeli Druze spiritual leader Sheikh Muwaffak Tarif called the event an unacceptable insult to the Druze, showing blatant discrimination against the soldiers based on their religion.
Professor Amir Khnifess, a scholar on the relationship between Druze and the state of Israel, said it's complicated to be Druze in Israel - particularly as a soldier. For many Druze, he said, serving in the Israeli military has little to do with loyalty to the Jewish state and more to do with seeking a better standard of living.

"The Druze don't serve in the army because they hate Palestinians, they do so because serving in the army will give you economic benefits," he explained. "You are already facing discrimination for not being Jewish, so [the Druze] want to reduce the level of discrimination by serving in the army."

Israel s Druze conscientious objectors - Features - Al Jazeera English

I brought this up as I was curious that Daniyel brought up an article about a Druze female being high up in the IDF, so as I don't care, but seeing that the Druze are from all over the area and just wondered how some might feel if fighting against their distant relatives.

It doesn't' say much but in the 50's I imagine the Druze being an minority in Israel, became fighters in the IDF to keep from relocating or being treated poorly is the only thing I can think of. I find it odd that the IDF had so many Arabs fighting against Arabs, but I found this article and this one Druze is going to jail for not serving.

So is it mandatory yet for the Druze men to serve in the IDF or not, do all Israeli citizens have mandatory service.

I remember I read a article not long ago, how the US will use Arabs to fight for us instead of our US men, they are cheaper, less strain on VA hospitals and we don't need to take care of the disabled for life. They need work, I guess you can call it, and we need fighters.

Many of the Israeli Druze are proud to serve.

You're going to post an article about them too?

I imagine some are, and they are getting more elite positions now as well, but the fact remains that less and less want to serve and fight against their fellow Arabs.
They are the only Arabs in Israel where it is mandatory to serve is that right?

Whats with that and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict again?

Many do not want to fight the Palestinians or other Arabs , and less and less are enlisting, although its mandatory for them, or prison , right?

You would think that any modern state would understand it has no right to insist that people are coerced into fighting, maybe dying, maybe killing at the order of said state.

Imprisoning someone whose personal convictions or political ideology forbids him from doing so, would seem not just callous, but highly unjust.

I see a human rights violation by Israel here. Another one, that is.

You would think that any modern state would understand it has no right to insist that people are coerced into fighting, maybe dying, maybe killing at the order of said state.

Imprisoning someone whose personal convictions or political ideology forbids him from doing so, would seem not just callous, but highly unjust.

Sweden..pfft such primitives rights?
Anyway, it is not even close to be anything related to the conflict and you can keep dreaming it is while in fact its not.
Israel Police welcomes first female Druze police commander JNS.org

You have zero idea about the Duruze religion so please don't make me embarrass you all once again.

You have zero idea about the Duruze religion so please don't make me embarrass you all once again.

You couldn't Danny Boy. You only ever embarrass yourself.
You are like a 6 year old threatening a shop owner who catches him stealing sweets.

Anyway, it is not even close to be anything related to the conflict and you can keep dreaming it is while in fact its not.

Excuse me but she sure doesn't look Arab to me. She must stay indoors. :D Are you sure she isn't a model?

Excuse me but she sure doesn't look Arab to me. She must stay indoors. :D Are you sure she isn't a model?
For Druze its very offending to be addressed as 'Arab', they have a very unique bloodline of intermarriage and I don't really know what you THINK you know about the M.E. and physical genetic features but lets remember Israel is not the typical Arab-women oppressors states and women can do everything they like to just as men does, now don't give me a stupid apologizing-type of reply because Arabs doesn't really know how to treat women equally, major part of the Druze female society is doing national service just like Jewish and Christians, Muslims, and other religions, a religious girl is not forced to do a civil duty but mostly volunteer for that and get a very nice resume for future opportunities and Druze are statistics are sky high on this one, also I can tell you that Duruze just like Judaism commands the practitioner to pray and serve the rule which they live in for the sake of peace, Druze are mostly traditional (like me, except that I'm Jewish) or very religious people, its rare to find a secular Druze, apparently you just did, and I guess she does look better than most 'Arab' females as you first thought if you consider her a model after all.
I bet if those Gaza women disrobed they would put your IDF females to shame.

Moving on to the second part of the comment where you said she is suppose to stay indoors, hmm..people like you should stay indoors..(WITH NO INTERNET!)

"Conscientious objectors are people who want other people to pick up their rifles for them."--George Orwell

It'd be great if everyone was a conscientious objector, wouldn't it.

Yes, but then who would protect your right to sit next to your computer writing nonsense on message boards.

Soldiers sacrifice themselves everyday for you to be able to complain about how "cool" is to have "no wars".

Mature, you're not an infant.

You should know the world doesn't work that way.

Many of the Israeli Druze are proud to serve.

You're going to post an article about them too?

I imagine some are, and they are getting more elite positions now as well, but the fact remains that less and less want to serve and fight against their fellow Arabs.
They are the only Arabs in Israel where it is mandatory to serve is that right?
1385968881307.png

"Conscientious objectors are people who want other people to pick up their rifles for them."--George Orwell

Yes, but then who would protect your right to sit next to your computer writing nonsense on message boards.

Soldiers sacrifice themselves everyday for you to be able to complain about how "cool" is to have "no wars".

Many do not want to fight the Palestinians or other Arabs , and less and less are enlisting, although its mandatory for them, or prison , right?

Less and less are enlisting?

Not according to my sources.

According to mine there are less and less signing up.

I said everybody. so then there would be no wars. I have no problem with Conscientious Objectors , the problem is people who start preemptive wars.

For Druze its very offending to be addressed as 'Arab', they have a very unique bloodline of intermarriage and I don't really know what you THINK you know about the M.E. and physical genetic features but lets remember Israel is not the typical Arab-women oppressors states and women can do everything they like to just as men does, now don't give me a stupid apologizing-type of reply because Arabs doesn't really know how to treat women equally, major part of the Druze female society is doing national service just like Jewish and Christians, Muslims, and other religions, a religious girl is not forced to do a civil duty but mostly volunteer for that and get a very nice resume for future opportunities and Druze are statistics are sky high on this one, also I can tell you that Duruze just like Judaism commands the practitioner to pray and serve the rule which they live in for the sake of peace, Druze are mostly traditional (like me, except that I'm Jewish) or very religious people, its rare to find a secular Druze, apparently you just did, and I guess she does look better than most 'Arab' females as you first thought if you consider her a model after all.
I bet if those Gaza women disrobed they would put your IDF females to shame.

Moving on to the second part of the comment where you said she is suppose to stay indoors, hmm..people like you should stay indoors..(WITH NO INTERNET!)
I didn't say she should stay indoors , I said it looks like she does, she does not look Arab at all. Apparently the druze need to join in Israel, she is one who liked it and the first woman to get an upper level position. From the article:

Professor Amir Khnifess, a scholar on the relationship between Druze and the state of Israel, said it's complicated to be Druze in Israel - particularly as a soldier. For many Druze, he said, serving in the Israeli military has little to do with loyalty to the Jewish state and more to do with seeking a better standard of living.

Israel woman also have to sign up for military right?

Less and less are enlisting?

Not according to my sources.

According to mine there are less and less signing up.

I said everybody. so then there would be no wars. I have no problem with Conscientious Objectors , the problem is people who start preemptive wars.

I have nice dreams, too. But it's all they are.

Forum List

Back