Islamists, Liberals Square Off In Egypt's Tahrir

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Hundreds of thousands thronged major squares across Egypt on Wednesday, marking the first anniversary of the uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak with rallies that laid bare the divisions that have replaced the unity of last year's revolt.

Cairo's Tahrir Square, the epicenter of the 18 days of protests against Mubarak, was transformed into the focal point of the rivalry between revolutionary activists intent on showing they can still mobilize the street, and the Muslim Brotherhood, who emerged as Egypt's dominant political force after a landslide victory in parliamentary elections.

The secular activists want continued protests to force the immediate ouster of the generals who took power after Mubarak's fall, saying they are just as dictatorial as the former president. The activists touted their powerful turnout as a sign they can pressure the Brotherhood, who they fear will accommodate the military in order to ensure their own political dominance.

"I have hope that these marches will be a message to the Brotherhood as much as the military council," said Sahar Abdel-Mohsen, who walked 3 1/2 miles (5 kilometers) in a giant march across Cairo to Tahrir.

We all know even if the Brotherhood are strong, the military council is still stronger. ... What we all want is an end to military rule," she said.

Both sides were intent on bringing out as many supporters as possible to show their weight in a nation still reeling from the aftershocks of Mubarak's ouster.

The Islamists got off to a strong start, taking up positions in the morning and claiming the right to police the square, with Brotherhood volunteers checking the bags of those entering.

From a large stage with 10 loudspeakers, they blared religious songs and chants of "Allahu akbar," setting a tone of celebration for what they called the successes of the revolution, particularly the newly elected parliament.

But a dozen large marches organized by secular groups converged on Tahrir from various parts of the city, chanting "Down, down with military rule!" and filling boulevards as passers-by joined in along the way. The "non-Islamists" swarmed into the downtown plaza before sunset, jam-packing it to outnumber the Islamists.

Read More:
Islamists, liberals square off in Egypt's Tahrir

Crackdown comes - as warned...
:cool:
CAIRO'S ISLAMIST CAMPS OVERRUN AMID CRACKDOWN
Aug 14,`13 -- Crushed, dazed and chanting "Down, down with military rule!" hundreds of supporters of Egypt's ousted president streamed out of a protest camp that had come to symbolize the resistance of Arab Spring Islamists. It now resembled a war zone - covered in debris, with thick black smoke billowing skyward.
Sitting helplessly on the ground, exhausted by hours of inhaling tear gas, they pondered their next move as Egypt's bloodiest day in years came to an end. For more than 12 hours, security forces in black-clad body armor and helmets, backed by snipers, military helicopters and armored vehicles, used bulldozers to sweep away the encampment occupied by supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi. The crackdown set off running street battles in Cairo and other Egyptian cities that left nearly 300 people dead nationwide. "What was horrifying today were the snipers. The sound of bullets was extremely frightening," said Mosa'ab Elshamy, a freelance photographer who said he was standing next to a medic who was shot in the head by sniper fire around noon. "Most of the corpses I saw in the field hospital had been shot in the head or chest," said Elshamy, who was in the camp for more than six hours during the clashes. In two main morgues, he said he counted 65 bodies.

Located near the Rabbah al-Adawiya Mosque that has served as the epicenter of the pro-Morsi campaign, the tent city was erected six weeks ago to show support for Morsi and demand his reinstatement after his overthrow in a July 3 military coup. On Wednesday, smoke and flames poured from all corners of the camp, where cars and tents were set alight, along with wood fires set by the protesters in an effort to lessen the impact of tear gas. It was in stark contrast to the festive mood that had prevailed in recent weeks, when couples got married and clerics took to the stage to announce they saw angels in their dreams that were a sign of impending victory. Posters with Morsi's image and slogans calling him the "legitimate president" were plastered on tents and light poles, while giant loudspeakers played some of his fiery speeches and women chanted "Morsi is my president."

During the first hour of Wednesday's crackdown, which began around 7 a.m., protesters said they tried to stop the bulldozers by lying on the pavement in front of the vehicles. "We stood in the face of the bulldozers. I was injured in the arm by gunfire," said a 24-year-engineer, Yasser Mohammed. Witnesses said the protesters took over a building under construction, where they hurled firebombs down on the troops below. "We are trying to prevent security forces from going toward the stage and the mosque. They are using live ammunition and we are using rocks and Molotov cocktails," said Ahmed Shaker, a 28-year-old chemist carrying several beer bottles for that purpose. "All the people who are here are ready to die," declared Shaker, the father of a 2-year-old girl, Yassmin. "When they took to the streets they knew it was a possibility and they won't backtrack. I already wrote my will and gave my wife the number of my bank account and told her who owes us money and who we owe money to. If I have to die I will die."

MORE

See also:

US: EGYPT VIOLENCE 'SERIOUS BLOW' TO PEACE EFFORTS
Aug 14,`13 WASHINGTON (AP) -- In a stern warning to Egypt's leaders, Secretary of State John Kerry said the escalating violence throughout the country Wednesday had dealt a "serious blow" to political reconciliation efforts between the military-backed interim government and supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
Still, Obama administration officials signaled no change in U.S. policy toward Egypt or clear consequences for the mounting violence. The U.S. has avoided declaring Morsi's ouster a coup, a move that would force the administration to suspend $1.3 billion in annual military aid to the strategically important nation, and officials said they continued to believe that step is not in America's national security interests. They said they were engaged in a continual review of policy toward Egypt but stressed that there were no changes to announce.

Kerry, during a surprise appearance at the State Department, condemned the violence that killed at least 149 people nationwide and the reinstatement of emergency rule. He called it "deplorable" and urged Egypt's interim leaders to take a step back and calm the situation. "It's a serious blow to reconciliation and the Egyptian people's hopes for a transition towards democracy and inclusion," he told reporters. Kerry added that he and other administration officials had for the past week been urging the military and interim government to respect freedom of speech and assembly. But neither he nor other officials could or would outline or even hint at any consequences the failure to heed those calls would bring.

Instead, Kerry and other officials repeated their appeals for a return to dialogue. "This is a pivotal moment for all Egyptians," Kerry said. "The path toward violence leads only to greater instability, economic disaster and suffering." Wednesday's assault came after days of warnings by the interim administration that replaced Morsi after he was ousted on July 3. The two sit-in camps at two major intersections on opposite sides of the Egyptian capital began in late June to show support for Morsi. Protesters - many from Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood - have demanded his reinstatement.

MORE

Related:

AFTER HUNDREDS KILLED, EGYPT FACES NEW UNCERTAINTY
Aug 15,`13 -- Egypt faced a new phase of uncertainty on Thursday after the bloodiest day since its Arab Spring began, with nearly 300 people reported killed and thousands injured as police smashed two protest camps of supporters of the deposed Islamist president.
Wednesday's raids touched off day-long street violence that prompted the military-backed interim leaders to impose a state of emergency and curfew, and drew widespread condemnation from the Muslim world and the West, including the United States. Nobel Peace Prize winner Mohamed ElBaradei resigned as Egypt's interim vice president in protest - a blow to the new leadership's credibility with the pro-reform movement. Interim Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi said in a televised address to the nation that it was a "difficult day" and that he regretted the bloodshed but offered no apologies for moving against the supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi, saying they were given ample warnings to leave and he had tried foreign mediation efforts.

The leaders of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood called it a "massacre." Several of them were detained as police swept through the two sit-in sites, scores of other Islamists were taken into custody, and the future of the once-banned movement was uncertain. Backed by helicopters, police fired tear gas and used armored bulldozers to plow into the barricades at the two protest camps in different sections of Cairo where the Morsi supporters had been camped since before he was ousted by the military July 3. The smaller camp - near Cairo University in Giza - was cleared of protesters relatively quickly, but it took about 12 hours for police to take control of the main sit-in site near the Rabaah al-Adawiya Mosque in Nasr City that has served as the epicenter of the pro-Morsi campaign and had drawn chanting throngs of men, women and children only days earlier.

After the police moved on the camps, street battles broke out in Cairo and other cities across Egypt. Government buildings and police stations were attacked, roads were blocked, and Christian churches were torched, Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim said. At one point, protesters trapped a police Humvee on an overpass near the Nasr City camp and pushed it off, according to images posted on social networking sites that showed an injured policeman on the ground below, near a pool of blood and the overturned vehicle. The Health Ministry said 235 civilians were killed and more than 2,000 injured, while Ibrahim said 43 policemen died in the violence. The death toll was expected to rise.

MORE

I have to agree with you. The media certainly are a funny bunch:

Egyptian ‘Liberals’ Are Out for Blood
Out for Blood, Egypt's 'Liberals' Lose Moral High Ground | TIME.com

Egyptian Liberals Embrace the Military, Brooking No Dissent
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/world/middleeast/egypt-morsi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Egyptian liberals call for crackdown against pro-Morsi sit-ins
Egyptian liberals call for crackdown against pro-Morsi sit-ins - The Washington Post

The examples are seemingly endless. Every major media outlet refers to Egyptian liberals - go figure.

Decus -

This is going to come as a major shock to you, I'm sure, but Egyptian voting blocs are not aligned to voting blocs in the US.

For all intents and purposes - there are no 'liberals' in Egypt. At least, not in the sense you or the simpleton OP understand.

Honestly....some of you guys really don't know there are other countries out there at all, do you?

Every major media outlet refers to Egyptian liberals - go figure.

Because the media you look at are writing for people who couldn't locate Alexandria on a map, it is easier for them to use American terminology.

I am not saying that there are no liberals or conservatives in Egypt, but I am saying that they are not the major groups in a country where political affialiation is more Islamist versus Secularist lines than it is Liberal versus Conservative.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you. The media certainly are a funny bunch:

Egyptian ‘Liberals’ Are Out for Blood
Out for Blood, Egypt's 'Liberals' Lose Moral High Ground | TIME.com

Egyptian Liberals Embrace the Military, Brooking No Dissent
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/world/middleeast/egypt-morsi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Egyptian liberals call for crackdown against pro-Morsi sit-ins
Egyptian liberals call for crackdown against pro-Morsi sit-ins - The Washington Post

The examples are seemingly endless. Every major media outlet refers to Egyptian liberals - go figure.
That seems quite logical. Liberals here want government control of individuals from cradle to grave. Egyptian embracing the military rulers appear to want the same. Why not call them what they are?

Are you American liberals sensitive to being associated with Egyptians that welcomed the coup?

Decus -

This is going to come as a major shock to you, I'm sure, but Egyptian voting blocs are not aligned to voting blocs in the US.

For all intents and purposes - there are no 'liberals' in Egypt. At least, not in the sense you or the simpleton OP understand.

Honestly....some of you guys really don't know there are other countries out there at all, do you?

You mocked the opening article's use of the term liberal. I was just pointing out that this is the term being used by the general media. I couldn't agree with you more however - the major media outlets are simpletons!

This entire mess in Egypt is the fault of the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery Clinton.

the Stuttering Clusterfukk STARTED the whole 'Arab Spring' nonsense with his ridiculous speech in Cairo where he RESERVED FRONT ROW SEATS FOR THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD.

And that couldn't have been out of naivete. Even given the colossal stupidity of dimocrap scum, they would have to surmise that since the MB is the 'Parent' organization of al Qaeda and several other Terrorist Groups, and that they are who killed Anwar Sadat....

And if the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery arranged for Mubarek to be taken down that the ONLY organized opposition group in Egypt would take power -- The MB.

And that it could only end badly. Which it has

Mubarek BEGGED the Stuttering Clusterfukk for a year so that other opposition parties could form.

He refused.

At the time, I told anybody that would listen that the Egyptian Army would only put up with Idiots for so long.

And I was right. As usual.

But check this out. The Stuttering Clusterfukk STILL is trying to help the Muslim Brotherhood retain power

Obama Pushes To Give Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood Another Chance In Elections…

potus-morsi-obama-550x343.jpg

^^scumbags^^​

Via Daily Caller:

The White House Wednesday pushed multiple statements calling for elections in Egypt, as the country’s military-backed government cracked down on violent Islamist protesters in Cairo.

“When the interim government took power [in July], we expressed our concern about the need for a prompt transition back to a democratically elected civilian government,” deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said Aug. 14.

“We made clear to them that the [financial] aid we offer to Egyptians is something we review regularly, and that is something that continues to be true today,” he emphasized, at the press briefing in Martha’s Vineyard, Mass., where Obama is taking a vacation.

Earnest repeated the “democratically elected civilian government” line 15 times during the briefing
- See more at: Weasel Zippers | Scouring the bowels of the internet | Weasel Zippers

This entire mess in Egypt is the fault of the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery Clinton.

That is nonsense, obviously - events in Egypt have nothing whatsoever to do with anything or anyone in the US.

As amazing it may seem to people who think the world events 10 miles east of New York, Egyptians are far more concerned with what their own politicians and government think without caring what yours have to say.

That is nonsense, obviously - events in Egypt have nothing whatsoever to do with anything or anyone in the US.

As amazing it may seem to people who think the world events 10 miles east of New York, Egyptians are far more concerned with what their own politicians and government think without caring what yours have to say.

You are either too stupid to be posting on a political Board or a pathological liar.

This is from Jan, 2011. Over 2-1/2 years ago.

Obama Egypt Strategy Could Place US at Risk

The Obama administration continues to turn up the heat on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, after two years of quietly monitoring human rights abuses by his regime and doing nothing.

The rapid response of the White House to the protests in Egypt contrasts starkly with the Obama administration’s total silence during the first two weeks of the Green Movement protests in Iran in June 2009, even though the Iranian protesters openly called for U.S. support in their struggle to overturn the re-election of president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

At the time, Obama said the United States did not want to give the impression of interfering in Iran’s domestic politics.

Muslim Brotherhood Members to Attend Obama's Cairo Speech | Fox News

Egyptian lawmakers from the fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood are expected to attend President Obama's highly anticipated speech to the Muslim world Thursday in Cairo.

Khaled Hamza, editor of the Muslim Brotherhood Web site, confirmed to FOXNews.com that 10 members of the Brotherhood's parliamentary bloc received official invitations to attend the speech.

The list includes Mohammed Saad el-Katatni, head of the parliamentary bloc.

The expected attendance of the Brotherhood members already is stirring some criticism from conservatives in the U.S. who say they do not represent the kind of moderate Muslims Obama should be appealing to.

"What kind of signal are we sending?" said Rep. Pete Hoekstra, ranking Republican on the House intelligence committee, warning that such an invitation will be seen more as a sign of weakness than strength. "I think the president takes some big risks by unilaterally putting out these olive branches."

Obama?s Ambassador Orders Egypt to Release All Muslim Brotherhood Members | FrontPage Magazine

Obama Call for Muslim Brotherhood Role Overtaken in Egypt - Bloomberg

the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery were so stupid that they believed the MB's bullshit. That they thought the MB really was a 'changed' orgainzation and that they were now 'moderate'.

A Leopard doesn't change his spots.

If you want to call it 'stupidity' that's okay.

But I think it runs deeper than that. I truly believe that the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery both want the most radical elements of Islam in charge over there.

To what end, I'm not sure.

I think it could, again, be from stupidity. dimocraps are the dumbest motherfuckers to ever walk the Earth. They're very 'clever', very adept at subterfuge, dishonesty, lying, thieving, back-stabbing, fraud and everything else that makes for a good politician....

But they're stupid. They might actually be stupid enough to believe that, "If we're nice to them, they'll be nice to us."

This is totally on the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery

CAIR Leader’s Brother Killed Protesting Alongside Islamists In Egypt…

Screen-Shot-2013-08-14-at-10.47.52-PM-550x186.png

bth_ROFLMAODog.gif

CAIR Leader’s Brother Killed Protesting Alongside Islamists In Egypt…

Screen-Shot-2013-08-14-at-10.47.52-PM-550x186.png

bth_ROFLMAODog.gif

not surprised at all...the connections are everywhere...

CAIR is the 'Muslim Mafia' operating in the U.S......a Muslim Brotherhood organization very intent upon undermining our Constitution and American way of life......no wonder the Clusterfuck and Hitlery support them....:evil:

the MB should be promptly busted and suppressed both here and in Egypt.....they are the Nazis of our day....but we have an anti-Constitutional President who is on their side....impeachment would be too easy a punishment....:mad:

Sperry says the Muslim Brotherhood has been dubbed 'The Muslim Mafia' because of its highly organized structure, centralized control, and covert operations.

'They operate like the Mob, only [they're] more dangerous,' says the author. 'And this is the oath that they take: "Allah is our goal...the prophet is our guide...the Koran is our constitution...jihad is our way...and death for the glory of Allah is our greatest ambition."'

Sperry says the Muslim Brotherhood's ultimate goal is to replace the U.S. Constitution with sharia law."

Exposing Liberal Lies: The Ultimate Goal of CAIR

Egyptian eyewitnesses have reported roof-top snipers targeting wounded civilians seeking medical treatment after Egypt's army cleared the camps of Muslim Brotherhood supporters in violence that is ongoing.

Who paid for the snipers' bullets?

"Similarly, Human Rights First argues that the U.S. should make its aid conditional on a transition to an elected government in Egypt, citing failed diplomatic efforts to move the country away from the interim government of the military.

"At Businessweek, Romesh Ratnesar said that the U.S.'s refusal to cut off aid means that the U.S. is effectively propping up a regime 'that openly disdains basic democratic principles and human rights.'

"Ali Gharib at The Daily Beast wrote that 'America funds an army that today carried out a massacre of its own citizens.'

The U.S. Still Isn't Ready To Cut Its Aid to Egypt - Abby Ohlheiser - The Atlantic Wire

Doesn't it give anyone a sense of security to know that obama has Susan Rice advising him?

It's like kabuki theater, with real dead people.

The muslim brotherhood is taking advantage of the situation to slaughter the Coptic Christians. That's no surprise.

Egyptian eyewitnesses have reported roof-top snipers targeting wounded civilians seeking medical treatment after Egypt's army cleared the camps of Muslim Brotherhood supporters in violence that is ongoing.

Who paid for the snipers' bullets?

"Similarly, Human Rights First argues that the U.S. should make its aid conditional on a transition to an elected government in Egypt, citing failed diplomatic efforts to move the country away from the interim government of the military.

"At Businessweek, Romesh Ratnesar said that the U.S.'s refusal to cut off aid means that the U.S. is effectively propping up a regime 'that openly disdains basic democratic principles and human rights.'

"Ali Gharib at The Daily Beast wrote that 'America funds an army that today carried out a massacre of its own citizens.'

The U.S. Still Isn't Ready To Cut Its Aid to Egypt - Abby Ohlheiser - The Atlantic Wire

force is the only way to suppress the Muslim Brotherhood...the Brotherhood never compromises....they do not believe in any form of democracy but only in backward Islamic Sharia theocratic rule......suppression of the Brotherhood is what worked in Egypt's past and which brought peace and prosperity...

the army isn't going to listen to Obama because he's donating 1.5 billion......other countries in the ME have already pledged way more help....like 12 billion....evidently the Brotherhood is not all that popular in many Arab states...Obama is only continuing the support probably because it's a drop in the bucket and he figures it's safer to play both sides.....considering the Egyptian people are not exactly going to lay down for his precious Hoodies....

U.S. aid to Egypt was formally put under review Thursday in the wake of last week’s military-backed power shift as Arab nations rushed to pledge $12 billion to the country's new government.

US reviews Egypt aid as Arab nations pour $12 billion into post-Morsi regime - World News

I did laugh out loud at the idea that there are 2 voting blocs in Egypt - and one of them is "liberals".

Hilarious stuff!

And what is even more funny is that the liberals on this forum support the Islamist voting block.

Doesn't it give anyone a sense of security to know that obama has Susan Rice advising him?

It's like kabuki theater, with real dead people.

The muslim brotherhood is taking advantage of the situation to slaughter the Coptic Christians. That's no surprise.

Bu....bu.....bu.....The Crusades, the Salem Witch Trials.....they are just getting what they deserve~! You know that verse to the song. How could you forget it?

the Stuttering Clusterfukk STARTED the whole 'Arab Spring' nonsense with his ridiculous speech in Cairo where he RESERVED FRONT ROW SEATS FOR THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD.

And that couldn't have been out of naivete. Even given the colossal stupidity of dimocrap scum, they would have to surmise that since the MB is the 'Parent' organization of al Qaeda and several other Terrorist Groups, and that they are who killed Anwar Sadat....

And if the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery arranged for Mubarek to be taken down that the ONLY organized opposition group in Egypt would take power -- The MB.

And that it could only end badly. Which it has

Mubarek BEGGED the Stuttering Clusterfukk for a year so that other opposition parties could form.

He refused.

At the time, I told anybody that would listen that the Egyptian Army would only put up with Idiots for so long.

And I was right. As usual.

But check this out. The Stuttering Clusterfukk STILL is trying to help the Muslim Brotherhood retain power

Obama Pushes To Give Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood Another Chance In Elections…

potus-morsi-obama-550x343.jpg

^^scumbags^^​

Via Daily Caller:

The White House Wednesday pushed multiple statements calling for elections in Egypt, as the country’s military-backed government cracked down on violent Islamist protesters in Cairo.

“When the interim government took power [in July], we expressed our concern about the need for a prompt transition back to a democratically elected civilian government,” deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said Aug. 14.

“We made clear to them that the [financial] aid we offer to Egyptians is something we review regularly, and that is something that continues to be true today,” he emphasized, at the press briefing in Martha’s Vineyard, Mass., where Obama is taking a vacation.

Earnest repeated the “democratically elected civilian government” line 15 times during the briefing
- See more at: Weasel Zippers | Scouring the bowels of the internet | Weasel Zippers

I have watched that speech several times. It is on youtube. It is plain that he set off Arab spring, and that he intended to do so. Murarak was our guy. 0bama wanted him out.

let them kill each other. Let allah sort them out.

Forum List

Back