Islamists, Liberals Square Off In Egypt's Tahrir

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Jan 26, 2012.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Hundreds of thousands thronged major squares across Egypt on Wednesday, marking the first anniversary of the uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak with rallies that laid bare the divisions that have replaced the unity of last year's revolt.

Cairo's Tahrir Square, the epicenter of the 18 days of protests against Mubarak, was transformed into the focal point of the rivalry between revolutionary activists intent on showing they can still mobilize the street, and the Muslim Brotherhood, who emerged as Egypt's dominant political force after a landslide victory in parliamentary elections.

The secular activists want continued protests to force the immediate ouster of the generals who took power after Mubarak's fall, saying they are just as dictatorial as the former president. The activists touted their powerful turnout as a sign they can pressure the Brotherhood, who they fear will accommodate the military in order to ensure their own political dominance.

"I have hope that these marches will be a message to the Brotherhood as much as the military council," said Sahar Abdel-Mohsen, who walked 3 1/2 miles (5 kilometers) in a giant march across Cairo to Tahrir.

We all know even if the Brotherhood are strong, the military council is still stronger. ... What we all want is an end to military rule," she said.

Both sides were intent on bringing out as many supporters as possible to show their weight in a nation still reeling from the aftershocks of Mubarak's ouster.

The Islamists got off to a strong start, taking up positions in the morning and claiming the right to police the square, with Brotherhood volunteers checking the bags of those entering.

From a large stage with 10 loudspeakers, they blared religious songs and chants of "Allahu akbar," setting a tone of celebration for what they called the successes of the revolution, particularly the newly elected parliament.

But a dozen large marches organized by secular groups converged on Tahrir from various parts of the city, chanting "Down, down with military rule!" and filling boulevards as passers-by joined in along the way. The "non-Islamists" swarmed into the downtown plaza before sunset, jam-packing it to outnumber the Islamists.

Read More:
    Islamists, liberals square off in Egypt's Tahrir

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    Crackdown comes - as warned...
    :cool:
    CAIRO'S ISLAMIST CAMPS OVERRUN AMID CRACKDOWN
    Aug 14,`13 -- Crushed, dazed and chanting "Down, down with military rule!" hundreds of supporters of Egypt's ousted president streamed out of a protest camp that had come to symbolize the resistance of Arab Spring Islamists. It now resembled a war zone - covered in debris, with thick black smoke billowing skyward.
    See also:

US: EGYPT VIOLENCE 'SERIOUS BLOW' TO PEACE EFFORTS
    Aug 14,`13 WASHINGTON (AP) -- In a stern warning to Egypt's leaders, Secretary of State John Kerry said the escalating violence throughout the country Wednesday had dealt a "serious blow" to political reconciliation efforts between the military-backed interim government and supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
    Related:

AFTER HUNDREDS KILLED, EGYPT FACES NEW UNCERTAINTY
    Aug 15,`13 -- Egypt faced a new phase of uncertainty on Thursday after the bloodiest day since its Arab Spring began, with nearly 300 people reported killed and thousands injured as police smashed two protest camps of supporters of the deposed Islamist president.

3. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    I did laugh out loud at the idea that there are 2 voting blocs in Egypt - and one of them is "liberals".

Hilarious stuff!

4. Decus

Decus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I have to agree with you. The media certainly are a funny bunch:

Egyptian ‘Liberals’ Are Out for Blood
    Out for Blood, Egypt's 'Liberals' Lose Moral High Ground | TIME.com

Egyptian Liberals Embrace the Military, Brooking No Dissent
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/world/middleeast/egypt-morsi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Egyptian liberals call for crackdown against pro-Morsi sit-ins
    Egyptian liberals call for crackdown against pro-Morsi sit-ins - The Washington Post

The examples are seemingly endless. Every major media outlet refers to Egyptian liberals - go figure.

5. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    Decus -

This is going to come as a major shock to you, I'm sure, but Egyptian voting blocs are not aligned to voting blocs in the US.

For all intents and purposes - there are no 'liberals' in Egypt. At least, not in the sense you or the simpleton OP understand.

Honestly....some of you guys really don't know there are other countries out there at all, do you?

Because the media you look at are writing for people who couldn't locate Alexandria on a map, it is easier for them to use American terminology.

I am not saying that there are no liberals or conservatives in Egypt, but I am saying that they are not the major groups in a country where political affialiation is more Islamist versus Secularist lines than it is Liberal versus Conservative.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,531
    That seems quite logical. Liberals here want government control of individuals from cradle to grave. Egyptian embracing the military rulers appear to want the same. Why not call them what they are?

Are you American liberals sensitive to being associated with Egyptians that welcomed the coup?

7. Decus

Decus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +529
    You mocked the opening article's use of the term liberal. I was just pointing out that this is the term being used by the general media. I couldn't agree with you more however - the major media outlets are simpletons!

8. Edgetho

Edgetho Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,448
    This entire mess in Egypt is the fault of the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery Clinton.

the Stuttering Clusterfukk STARTED the whole 'Arab Spring' nonsense with his ridiculous speech in Cairo where he RESERVED FRONT ROW SEATS FOR THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD.

And that couldn't have been out of naivete. Even given the colossal stupidity of dimocrap scum, they would have to surmise that since the MB is the 'Parent' organization of al Qaeda and several other Terrorist Groups, and that they are who killed Anwar Sadat....

And if the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery arranged for Mubarek to be taken down that the ONLY organized opposition group in Egypt would take power -- The MB.

And that it could only end badly. Which it has

Mubarek BEGGED the Stuttering Clusterfukk for a year so that other opposition parties could form.

He refused.

At the time, I told anybody that would listen that the Egyptian Army would only put up with Idiots for so long.

And I was right. As usual.

But check this out. The Stuttering Clusterfukk STILL is trying to help the Muslim Brotherhood retain power

Obama Pushes To Give Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood Another Chance In Elections…

[​IMG]
    ^^scumbags^^​

Via Daily Caller:

- See more at: Weasel Zippers | Scouring the bowels of the internet | Weasel Zippers

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    That is nonsense, obviously - events in Egypt have nothing whatsoever to do with anything or anyone in the US.

As amazing it may seem to people who think the world events 10 miles east of New York, Egyptians are far more concerned with what their own politicians and government think without caring what yours have to say.

10. Edgetho

Edgetho Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,448
    You are either too stupid to be posting on a political Board or a pathological liar.

This is from Jan, 2011. Over 2-1/2 years ago.

Obama Egypt Strategy Could Place US at Risk

Muslim Brotherhood Members to Attend Obama's Cairo Speech | Fox News

Obama?s Ambassador Orders Egypt to Release All Muslim Brotherhood Members | FrontPage Magazine

Obama Call for Muslim Brotherhood Role Overtaken in Egypt - Bloomberg

the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery were so stupid that they believed the MB's bullshit. That they thought the MB really was a 'changed' orgainzation and that they were now 'moderate'.

A Leopard doesn't change his spots.

If you want to call it 'stupidity' that's okay.

But I think it runs deeper than that. I truly believe that the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery both want the most radical elements of Islam in charge over there.

To what end, I'm not sure.

I think it could, again, be from stupidity. dimocraps are the dumbest motherfuckers to ever walk the Earth. They're very 'clever', very adept at subterfuge, dishonesty, lying, thieving, back-stabbing, fraud and everything else that makes for a good politician....

But they're stupid. They might actually be stupid enough to believe that, "If we're nice to them, they'll be nice to us."

This is totally on the Stuttering Clusterfukk and Hitlery