Islam Question

Name one mostly Muslim country that is not a disaster in terms of human rights, economy or military? Just one. I ll wait patiently.

Malaysia... consistently rising GDP since the '80s. Religious freedom for religious minorities. Equal rights for women. Clean, peaceful, and economically vibrant.

suria-shop.jpg

The situation of human rights in Malaysia is controversial as there have been numerous allegations of human rights abuses in the country. Human rights groups and foreign governments are generally critical of the Malaysian government and the Royal Malaysian Police.

In February, graphic artist Fahmi Reza was sentenced to one month in jail and a fine for posting a caricature of the prime minister as a clown, and opposition member of parliament Rafizi Ramli was sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaking bank details as part of an effort to expose corruption, highlighting weaknesses in Malaysia’s protection of whistle-blowers.

In March, the government passed the Anti-Fake News law, broad legislation imposing up to seven years in prison for anyone who maliciously spreads “fake news,” deliberately defined vaguely to allow maximum discretion for the government to target critics of UMNO and the government. In April, a Danish citizen was sentenced to one week in prison and a RM10,000 (US$2,384) fine for posting a video criticizing the police’s response to a targeted killing in Kuala Lumpur.

Use of the sedition act continues, with at least three new sedition investigations opened in July and August against individuals accused of insulting Malaysia’s royalty. Despite its election manifesto promising to repeal the Sedition Act, the government had not yet moved to do so at time of writing. The government also backed away from an election commitment to repeal the Official Secrets Act, saying it would instead be amended.

Malaysia restricts the rights of followers of any branches of Islam other than Sunni, with those following Shia or other branches subject to arrest for deviancy. In September, 50 Shia, including children, were arrested in Kelantan for practicing their religion. In April, a high court ruled that members of the Ahmadiyya community, which has been declared “deviant” in Malaysia, cannot be charged with offenses under the Shariah laws governing Muslims in the country.

Discrimination against LGBT people remains pervasive in Malaysia. Federal law punishes “carnal knowledge against the order of nature” with up to 20 years in prison, while numerous state Sharia laws prohibit both same-sex relations and non-normative gender expression, resulting in frequent arrests of transgender people.

The US is often accused of human rights abuses as well. A lot of non-Islamic countries have fairly draconian laws. In Thailand, for example, you can get a decade in prison for insulting a member of the Royal Family.

In Singapore, you can get caned for vandalizing public property. In Hong Kong, you can get death for trafficking drugs.

Malaysia is a Muslim majority country that is peaceful, prosperous, and very multicultural. I've lived there myself before and just returned for a visit last month.

You’re saying Malaysia is equal to the US in terms of human rights? Lol

The requisite was to name a Muslim majority country that is not 'a disaster in terms of human rights, economy or military'.

I've done that.

The LGTBQ community may disagree.

Discrimination against LGBT people remains pervasive in Malaysia. Federal law punishes “carnal knowledge against the order of nature” with up to 20 years in prison, while numerous state Sharia laws prohibit both same-sex relations and non-normative gender expression, resulting in frequent arrests of transgender people.

Pervasive definition: (especially of an unwelcome influence or physical effect) spreading widely throughout an area or a group of people.

Malaysia... consistently rising GDP since the '80s. Religious freedom for religious minorities. Equal rights for women. Clean, peaceful, and economically vibrant.

suria-shop.jpg

The situation of human rights in Malaysia is controversial as there have been numerous allegations of human rights abuses in the country. Human rights groups and foreign governments are generally critical of the Malaysian government and the Royal Malaysian Police.

In February, graphic artist Fahmi Reza was sentenced to one month in jail and a fine for posting a caricature of the prime minister as a clown, and opposition member of parliament Rafizi Ramli was sentenced to 30 months in prison for leaking bank details as part of an effort to expose corruption, highlighting weaknesses in Malaysia’s protection of whistle-blowers.

In March, the government passed the Anti-Fake News law, broad legislation imposing up to seven years in prison for anyone who maliciously spreads “fake news,” deliberately defined vaguely to allow maximum discretion for the government to target critics of UMNO and the government. In April, a Danish citizen was sentenced to one week in prison and a RM10,000 (US$2,384) fine for posting a video criticizing the police’s response to a targeted killing in Kuala Lumpur.

Use of the sedition act continues, with at least three new sedition investigations opened in July and August against individuals accused of insulting Malaysia’s royalty. Despite its election manifesto promising to repeal the Sedition Act, the government had not yet moved to do so at time of writing. The government also backed away from an election commitment to repeal the Official Secrets Act, saying it would instead be amended.

Malaysia restricts the rights of followers of any branches of Islam other than Sunni, with those following Shia or other branches subject to arrest for deviancy. In September, 50 Shia, including children, were arrested in Kelantan for practicing their religion. In April, a high court ruled that members of the Ahmadiyya community, which has been declared “deviant” in Malaysia, cannot be charged with offenses under the Shariah laws governing Muslims in the country.

The US is often accused of human rights abuses as well. A lot of non-Islamic countries have fairly draconian laws. In Thailand, for example, you can get a decade in prison for insulting a member of the Royal Family.

In Singapore, you can get caned for vandalizing public property. In Hong Kong, you can get death for trafficking drugs.

Malaysia is a Muslim majority country that is peaceful, prosperous, and very multicultural. I've lived there myself before and just returned for a visit last month.

The requisite was to name a Muslim majority country that is not 'a disaster in terms of human rights, economy or military'.

I've done that.

Pervasive definition: (especially of an unwelcome influence or physical effect) spreading widely throughout an area or a group of people.

In fact, Malaysia's sodomy laws remain unchanged from when Malaysia was a British colony in 1957.

I've done that.

In fact, Malaysia's sodomy laws remain unchanged from when Malaysia was a British colony in 1957.

So it is a humanitarian disaster. We have evolved since 1957 and Malaysia has not.

I've done that.

Name one mostly Muslim country that is not a disaster in terms of human rights, economy or military? Just one. I ll wait patiently.

suria-shop.jpg

It is against the law to abandon Islam in Maylaysia, specifically Sunni, which is enshrined as supreme .. It is also against the law to talk to a Sunni about converting to another religion.

This is all consistent with the behaviors of a cult, not a religion and is indicative of the supremacist nature of Islam. People may be free to practice other religions if they keep their moth shut about it, but religious minorities are second class citizens.

This is not true religious freedom.

Last edited:

I've done that.

So it is a humanitarian disaster. We have evolved since 1957 and Malaysia has not.
It's really quite the damning statement on Islam when a ccountry that jails people for leaving Islam is considered its shining beacon of tolerance.

Islam sets the bar so low that people consider anything a step up from ISIS/Taliban as if it were liberal.

Because people rose up against Islam. Christianity is an all inclusive religion. It started to spread because it allowed women, poor, handicapped, etc. I am not even Christian and I know this. You’re such an idiot. Name one mostly Muslim country that is not a disaster in terms of human rights, economy or military? Just one. I ll wait patiently.

Um, all countries are disasters in those things..... including this one. Spend some time on Chicago's West side if you are unclear on the point.

Christianity spread because of its ruthlessness... Maybe you need to read up on the genocide of Aborignal Australians or Native Americans.

It is against the law to abandon Islam in Maylaysia, specifically Sunni, which is enshrined as supreme .. It is also against the law to talk to a Sunni about converting to another religion.

Link?

Malaysia is a multicultural and multiconfessional country, whose official religion is Islam. As of the 2010 Population and Housing Census, 61.3 percent of the population practices Islam; 19.8 percent Buddhism; 9.2 percent Christianity; 6.3 percent Hinduism; and 3.4 percent traditional Chinese religions. The remainder is accounted for by other faiths, including Animism, Folk religion, Sikhism, Baha'i Faith and other belief systems.[1][2]

Um, when nearly 40% of them are NON-Muslims, they aren't doing a very good job of imposing their religion on others.

Because people rose up against Islam. Christianity is an all inclusive religion. It started to spread because it allowed women, poor, handicapped, etc. I am not even Christian and I know this. You’re such an idiot. Name one mostly Muslim country that is not a disaster in terms of human rights, economy or military? Just one. I ll wait patiently.

Um, all countries are disasters in those things..... including this one. Spend some time on Chicago's West side if you are unclear on the point.

Christianity spread because of its ruthlessness... Maybe you need to read up on the genocide of Aborignal Australians or Native Americans.

You have got to be kidding me. What an idiotic and incorrect response. So you believe that women in Chicago are at peril like they are in Syria or Jordan? No wonder so many on this board give you the gold medal for the stupidest poster.

LOL Joe actually writes “um”

Weirdo

You have got to be kidding me. What an idiotic and incorrect response. So you believe that women in Chicago are at peril like they are in Syria or Jordan? No wonder so many on this board give you the gold medal for the stupidest poster.

I didn't know such a medal existed, but I'm sure you'd be in the running for it.

Um, yeah, we have 700 murders a year in Chicago... it's kind of a dangerous place. Especially since the NRA nullified our gun laws in 2010.

Have we evolved? A lot of your Christian friends would like to put the Sodomy laws back on the books.

But we don’t put them on the books. We don’t kill people for being gay or got apostasy and by a lot you mean a small %.

I didn't know such a medal existed, but I'm sure you'd be in the running for it.

Um, yeah, we have 700 murders a year in Chicago... it's kind of a dangerous place. Especially since the NRA nullified our gun laws in 2010.

And people are free to move are they not? Chicago is one city in a giant country. All of Syria, all of Iran, all of Iraq, all of Somalia are terribly dangerous. And I only named a few.

Forum List

Back