CDZ Is truth dead because of media filtering?

Pilate

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2016
It seems these days that it’s difficult to get any kind of reliable information because people don’t have access to the original source. All we hear is second hand (often pre-interpreted for us) information given to us by media outlets that already have a political bias in favor of one or the other. What are people to do in such situations? Consider that we’ve had numerous memos and reports published regarding the impeachment matter, and yet both sides say the documents support their case. Obviously, both of those groups can’t be correct at the same time. And yet...

The media died...not the truth...the truth is easy to find but one has to want to find it....and as we learn here everyday not everyone wants the truth....

The media died...not the truth...the truth is easy to find but one has to want to find it....and as we learn here everyday not everyone wants the truth....
Is the truth easy to find? How much of what we read today do we just take for granted?

Our media now sees itself as the vanguard for shaping public opinion and creating cultural norms. As such, it is no longer journalism in action, but something else.

I'm reminded of the cultural revolution era in China where absolutely everything had to serve the agenda.

It seems these days that it’s difficult to get any kind of reliable information because people don’t have access to the original source. All we hear is second hand (often pre-interpreted for us) information given to us by media outlets that already have a political bias in favor of one or the other. What are people to do in such situations? Consider that we’ve had numerous memos and reports published regarding the impeachment matter, and yet both sides say the documents support their case. Obviously, both of those groups can’t be correct at the same time. And yet...

With the advent of technology, especially communications technology, we have access to more news than ever before. The traditional broadcast media is no longer the only source therefore, disparate perspectives of the events of the day are more prevalent. I propose that there never was more truth available to The People than there is now exactly because voices that the traditional MSM ignored before can now find a demographic.

We have to put on our big-boy pants now and avail ourselves of all the news sources we can and still lead a sane existence. One of my rules is that if ANY journalist or even OP ED tries to tell me not to listen or view certain sources the first thing I will do is go to those sources to see for myself. Sorry, Walter Cronkite is now room temperature, there is no 'News Daddy' and, sorry Walter, there never was, we just didn't know.

First, of all, when we're talking about anything that has been made political, "The Truth" now essentially means "stuff I agree with". The word is sprayed around like water, as if it has some transcendent definition, as if it's some universal, cosmic, undisputed fact.

So now that much of the country is dividing itself between the left wing Truth and the right wing Truth -- meaning all contrary information is avoided, ignored and/or distorted within that sphere -- we can no longer even agree on REALITY. I have no idea how you're supposed to operate a republic when we can't even agree on what is real.

As for the rest of us, those who simply want an accurate and complete representation of "what happened" so that we can draw our own conclusions, it's becoming more and more difficult to identify sources we can use as building blocks. Americans are now used to being provided an interpretation of what happened, and obviously that depends on the interpreter.

We're watching the predictable manifestation of this, in real time, as our divide gets deeper and deeper. But we are choosing to do this to ourselves, no one is making us. We're choosing to be intellectually lazy, incurious and tribal. So yeah, "truth" is dead. We killed it.

But we are choosing to do this to ourselves, no one is making us.

Yep. I'm not sure when opining became news but you know how to stop that. Revert back to what people did before which is to read from left to right and outside of the US news sources. If everybody turned off their television for a month on any interpretation/talk show/radio program they might move in a different direction.

Most times you can find the source data. The noise comes from the spin. NPR and the AP have very little spin. I recommend tapping those sources

First, of all, when we're talking about anything that has been made political, "The Truth" now essentially means "stuff I agree with". The word is sprayed around like water, as if it has some transcendent definition, as if it's some universal, cosmic, undisputed fact.

So now that much of the country is dividing itself between the left wing Truth and the right wing Truth -- meaning all contrary information is avoided, ignored and/or distorted within that sphere -- we can no longer even agree on REALITY. I have no idea how you're supposed to operate a republic when we can't even agree on what is real.

Well said. Truth is no longer operative, nor is reality. I don't care. Maybe I'm the only postmodern conservative around. Truth and reality are indeed what we agree to, mostly to be allowed into the camp of our allies.

After the 2016 election, which left me in shock although I was glad of the result, I was horrified at the obvious death of the news media, I made up a lot of rules about what I DON'T read.

I don't read
* Anything about Trump, because it will be nasty and mean.
* Anything about the impeachment thing, BBB (boring beyond belief).
* Naked savages news (Africa, Thailand, Mongolia -- no. I have a life.).
* Irrelevant foreign news (No Denmark, etc. They aren't naked savages, but they don't matter, either.).
* Upon reading the word "poll," stop reading the article. All polls are lies, except the one on Election Day.
* Anything with the word "will" in it --- "will" is always a lie because no one knows the future, and speculation is so very not news. News is what actually happened.

The media can't kill what is right or wrong. It doesn't have that power. They have been exposed as completely biased one way or the other. They lost a lot of credibility and viewers, and they don't seem to care. If the media spreads lies, knowing they are lies, to take out political targets, is that seditious? I know they are a business selling a product, but if that product is a known falsehood to take out specific targets, is that ok?

Media is not a clone copy of events because, by it's very definition, it is a mediator between actual real life events and what they choose to report. It's not bad or nefarious it's subject to human opinions and emotions as well as what will fit on a piece of paper or what band width and what demographic they wish to reach.

Last edited:
It is sobering to think how much power and influence the media had for more than the last ten years. This is my opinion, but I have noticed an unopposed condemnation for religion, police, and nationalism. The media pushed drugs, globalism, anti police, welfare, race and class divisions, and homosexuality. I know people who agree with all of the media's positions will say that it is a naturally evolving culture, and they may be right, but I myself do not think the messages they have pushed represent the views of most Americans. It is interesting how almost all of the media outlets all have the same point of view, and almost identical phrasing and stories. The over 90% negativity against the president is damning. No matter how much you hate someone, or how evil you think they are, there are normally two sides to every story. Doesn't it seem to stretch credulity to have negative coverage exceed 80%? The media pushed for legal drugs and gay weddings, and it got them. Is it progress? Maybe. I'm just glad they went nuts so that people don't automatically think they are the voice of how people see things.

The truth is fine, but conservative "media" is doing it's best to hide it.

Truth is not dead nor will it die.

It currently goes unnoticed because the majority of today's "educated" have, instead, been indoctrinated.

A good first step would be to close the Ivy League Colleges and convert their empty buildings to productive trade schools.

Right now, the media is pushing illegal immigration, but it seems to be having difficulty. They almost all support it even though the country is split on the issue. Actually, even some democrats poll against it. So less than half the country supports illegal immigration, but the media is pushing it hard. I don't think the media has the power to normalize illegal immigration. They are having better luck with climate change. Kids are making it a mission to save the planet. Even if you are 100% behind the climate debate, don't you think it is odd that they don't point out when politicians say the world will end in less than 15 years. The media is fine with it. The media also had a wet dream with the Paris Accords, even though it would do nothing to help the environment while siphoning off huge amounts of American dollars. I hear the polar bears are doing great now, someone should probably tell the press.

It is sobering to think how much power and influence the media had for more than the last ten years. This is my opinion, but I have noticed an unopposed condemnation for religion, police, and nationalism. The media pushed drugs, globalism, anti police, welfare, race and class divisions, and homosexuality. I know people who agree with all of the media's positions will say that it is a naturally evolving culture, and they may be right, but I myself do not think the messages they have pushed represent the views of most Americans. It is interesting how almost all of the media outlets all have the same point of view, and almost identical phrasing and stories. The over 90% negativity against the president is damning. No matter how much you hate someone, or how evil you think they are, there are normally two sides to every story. Doesn't it seem to stretch credulity to have negative coverage exceed 80%? The media pushed for legal drugs and gay weddings, and it got them. Is it progress? Maybe. I'm just glad they went nuts so that people don't automatically think they are the voice of how people see things.

Yes the traditional broadcast media especially is to blame along with the AP and NPR. All of who are decidedly left oriented but claim to be objective. We hear them pontificating on their 'objectivity' while denigrating those who might watch FOX news, OAN, listen to Rush, etc. Anyone even listening to those alternate news/op ed sources must be a knuckle dragging idiot according to them. I particularly like to shove Alex Jones in their faces because it scares them half to death!!! I mean, we are not supposed to even listen to Alex Jones and make up our own minds? BULLSHIT!

I call the MSM a hall of parrots and mirrors. They use the same phrases, show the same videos and all use the same descriptors and phrases to relay the news of the day. Apparently they believe that repetition will somehow magically create 'truth' through some kind of verbal alchemy.

I think the Democrats are unaware that Americans are now getting their news from many sources and NOT just the MSM which they have traditionally had a strangle hold on. The Times 'They Are A Changin' for the Democrats.

Last edited:
It’s only the other team!

It’s only the other team!
No, there are left wing we sites I won't visit for news either, but the right has no reputable information outlets.

Truth in the media is an oxymoron. For our system to work, we need multiple sources and points of view to be published. Unfortunately, the MSM does not agree...

The truth is reported, just not via any MSM outlets.

Americans are divided because of a dishonest media and a corrupt government, all controlled by billionaires. If we would unit, these bastards would be toast and they know it.

Forum List

Back