CDZ Is truth dead because of media filtering?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Pilate, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Pilate

Pilate Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It seems these days that it’s difficult to get any kind of reliable information because people don’t have access to the original source. All we hear is second hand (often pre-interpreted for us) information given to us by media outlets that already have a political bias in favor of one or the other. What are people to do in such situations? Consider that we’ve had numerous memos and reports published regarding the impeachment matter, and yet both sides say the documents support their case. Obviously, both of those groups can’t be correct at the same time. And yet...

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,283
    The media died...not the truth...the truth is easy to find but one has to want to find it....and as we learn here everyday not everyone wants the truth....

3. Pilate

Pilate Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Is the truth easy to find? How much of what we read today do we just take for granted?

4. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,952
    Our media now sees itself as the vanguard for shaping public opinion and creating cultural norms. As such, it is no longer journalism in action, but something else.

I'm reminded of the cultural revolution era in China where absolutely everything had to serve the agenda.

5. Leo123

Leo123 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,067
    With the advent of technology, especially communications technology, we have access to more news than ever before. The traditional broadcast media is no longer the only source therefore, disparate perspectives of the events of the day are more prevalent. I propose that there never was more truth available to The People than there is now exactly because voices that the traditional MSM ignored before can now find a demographic.

We have to put on our big-boy pants now and avail ourselves of all the news sources we can and still lead a sane existence. One of my rules is that if ANY journalist or even OP ED tries to tell me not to listen or view certain sources the first thing I will do is go to those sources to see for myself. Sorry, Walter Cronkite is now room temperature, there is no 'News Daddy' and, sorry Walter, there never was, we just didn't know.

6. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52,417
    First, of all, when we're talking about anything that has been made political, "The Truth" now essentially means "stuff I agree with". The word is sprayed around like water, as if it has some transcendent definition, as if it's some universal, cosmic, undisputed fact.

So now that much of the country is dividing itself between the left wing Truth and the right wing Truth -- meaning all contrary information is avoided, ignored and/or distorted within that sphere -- we can no longer even agree on REALITY. I have no idea how you're supposed to operate a republic when we can't even agree on what is real.

As for the rest of us, those who simply want an accurate and complete representation of "what happened" so that we can draw our own conclusions, it's becoming more and more difficult to identify sources we can use as building blocks. Americans are now used to being provided an interpretation of what happened, and obviously that depends on the interpreter.

We're watching the predictable manifestation of this, in real time, as our divide gets deeper and deeper. But we are choosing to do this to ourselves, no one is making us. We're choosing to be intellectually lazy, incurious and tribal. So yeah, "truth" is dead. We killed it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Disir

Disir Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,677
    Yep. I'm not sure when opining became news but you know how to stop that. Revert back to what people did before which is to read from left to right and outside of the US news sources. If everybody turned off their television for a month on any interpretation/talk show/radio program they might move in a different direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,884
    Most times you can find the source data. The noise comes from the spin. NPR and the AP have very little spin. I recommend tapping those sources

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Circe

Circe Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,783
    Well said. Truth is no longer operative, nor is reality. I don't care. Maybe I'm the only postmodern conservative around. Truth and reality are indeed what we agree to, mostly to be allowed into the camp of our allies.

After the 2016 election, which left me in shock although I was glad of the result, I was horrified at the obvious death of the news media, I made up a lot of rules about what I DON'T read.

I don't read
    * Anything about Trump, because it will be nasty and mean.
    * Anything about the impeachment thing, BBB (boring beyond belief).
    * Naked savages news (Africa, Thailand, Mongolia -- no. I have a life.).
    * Irrelevant foreign news (No Denmark, etc. They aren't naked savages, but they don't matter, either.).
    * Upon reading the word "poll," stop reading the article. All polls are lies, except the one on Election Day.
    * Anything with the word "will" in it --- "will" is always a lie because no one knows the future, and speculation is so very not news. News is what actually happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. DustyInfinity

DustyInfinity Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    The media can't kill what is right or wrong. It doesn't have that power. They have been exposed as completely biased one way or the other. They lost a lot of credibility and viewers, and they don't seem to care. If the media spreads lies, knowing they are lies, to take out political targets, is that seditious? I know they are a business selling a product, but if that product is a known falsehood to take out specific targets, is that ok?