Is this belief common among "conservatives"?

Stop hating on Ravi. The woman can spell and her punctuation is perfect!

images

I think many people just think Kwanzaa is made up holiday of little importance. It's a modern creation, kind of like Esperanto. To me, it's just about as important as Flag Day.
Me, too...but I think it is insane to compare it to a white supremist holiday.

:lol: I am frustrated that asking a question means I'm playing the race card to many...it works both ways.

btw, when I put conservative in parenthesis there is a reason.

um, those were quotation marks.

sorry- i can't help myself
:lol: Damn, and I was so proud of myself for spelling parenthesis correctly on the first try.

Even though you still had the wrong inflection.

In that case, it would be plural: parentheses

I think many people just think Kwanzaa is made up holiday of little importance. It's a modern creation, kind of like Esperanto. To me, it's just about as important as Flag Day.

No.........I'd say it's more like the black equivalent of White Supremacist Days.

History and etymology

Maulana Karenga created Kwanzaa in 1966 as the first specifically African American holiday.[2] Karenga said his goal was to "give Blacks an alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."[3] The name Kwanzaa derives from the Swahili phrase matunda ya kwanza, meaning first fruits of the harvest.[4] The choice of Swahili, an East African language, reflects its status as a symbol of Pan-Africanism, especially in the 1960s.

Kwanzaa is a celebration that has its roots in the black nationalist movement of the 1960s, and was established as a means to help African Americans reconnect with their African cultural and historical heritage by uniting in meditation and study of African traditions and Nguzu Saba, the "seven principles of blackness" which Karenga said "is a communitarian African philosophy".

The first Kwanzaa stamp was issued by the United States Postal Service on October 22, 1997, with artwork by Synthia Saint James.[5] In 2004, a second Kwanzaa stamp, designed by Daniel Minter, was issued; this has seven figures in colorful robes symbolizing the seven principles.[6]

During the early years of Kwanzaa, Karenga said that it was meant to be an alternative to Christmas, that Jesus was psychotic, and that Christianity was a white religion that black people should shun.[7] However, as Kwanzaa gained mainstream adherents, Karenga altered his position so that practicing Christians would not be alienated, then stating in the 1997 Kwanzaa: A Celebration of Family, Community, and Culture, "Kwanzaa was not created to give people an alternative to their own religion or religious holiday."[8]

The origins of Kwanzaa are not secret and are openly acknowledged by those promoting the holiday.[9] Many Christian African Americans who celebrate Kwanzaa do so in addition to observing Christmas.[10]

In 2009, Maya Angelou narrated the award-winning documentary The Black Candle, the first film about Kwanzaa.

Kwanzaa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on the origins, yeah.......it's a black supremacist thing.

Me, too...but I think it is insane to compare it to a white supremist holiday.
i have never heard of a "white supremacist" holiday
can you tell me what one is?

They all get together for about a week in Idaho once a year, usually during the summer.

Some sort of Aryan nations rally. It happens every year, I'll see if I can find a link Dive Con.

And no, I don't participate in crap like that, why else do you think I have to research it?

and you must have quads the size of volkswagens from jumping to conclusions.

:lol:

Not saying anything about Ravi in particular, but with some on here it's more like a very short step than a jump.

Some conservatives are racists, Jeremy. Some liberals are as well, but it is less common. Spank GHook and let's all get on with our day, okay?

I wouldn't call Ghook's comment "racist" as much as "ill-informed".

Some sort of Aryan nations rally. It happens every year, I'll see if I can find a link Dive Con.

And no, I don't participate in crap like that, why else do you think I have to research it?
i have no doubt they have such get togethers
but i mean an actual "holiday"

Forum List

Back